Prediction Who will debut in 2017?

Who will debut in 2017?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I woud have been far more confident of JGM making it if SOS hadn't gone for more defenders. It might indicate that they're concerned about his long term future.

At least SOS understands that many of these kids might not make it, no matter how talented they may or may not be. I have seen enough of JGM to suggest he will continue to progress well, but unlike previous regime, it is never guaranteed.

I would have been far more confident of JGM making it if SOS hadn't gone for more defenders. It might indicate that they're concerned about his long term future.

I thought so as well. However, it's interesting that they've upgraded his playing number (from 47 to 40). I'm not sure why they'd bother, unless they thought he might be around for a while.

Sam Petrevski-Seton: Rd 1. 15-20 games
Harry McKay: Rd 1. 15-20 games
Zac Fisher: Rd 1. 15-20 games
Harrison Macreadie: after round 12. 6-8 games
Cameron Polson: Rd 1. 15-20 games
Tom Williamson: maybe 1-2 late in year. 2018 is his go
Jarrod Pickett: after mid year. 6-8 games
Patrick Kerr: see Williamson
Jesse Glass-McCasker: see Williamson
Kym LeBois: Rd 1. 10-15 games
Andrew Gallucci: maybe late in year
Matt Korcheck: maybe late in year

All about development but I'm very hopeful on all of them
Can't see us having 5 debutantes in round 1. Even if they somehow all manage to make a case for themselves during preseason and NAB. Think we are likely to select a more senior team for round 1 at least, with 1-2 debuts.

Can't see us having 5 debutantes in round 1. Even if they somehow all manage to make a case for themselves during preseason and NAB. Think we are likely to select a more senior team for round 1 at least, with 1-2 debuts.

could happen. mckay & sps are certainies if fit. fisher looks ready to go. that's three. pickett will depend upon fitness. im tipping polson to step up and lebois as my smoky. this isn't including marchbank, palmer, smedts, silvagni debuting in navy blue. add charlie & cuningham who have 9 games between them. going to be exciting whichever way we look at it.

If we're including Pickett (and yet somehow, not Marchbank) then I can see us having 4 in round 1 pretty easily: Pickett, SPS, McKay with a possibility of one other.

As for Carlton debuts, I think we're looking at 5 minimum.

Rnd 1 2009. Win with 5 debutants ended Wallaces career (was a dead man walking after that game). Would be nice to do the same to Hardwick.

If we're including Pickett (and yet somehow, not Marchbank) then I can see us having 4 in round 1 pretty easily: Pickett, SPS, McKay with a possibility of one other.

As for Carlton debuts, I think we're looking at 5 minimum.
Personally, I was referring to AFL debuts, not Carlton debuts. Naturally with players like Smedts, Palmer, Silvagni and Marchbank, the number of potential Carlton debuts could be high.
I can certainly see that it's possible for some of SPS, Harry, Fisher, Pickett, Polson and maybe Macreadie and LeBois to put their hand up for round 1, but the likelihood of more than a couple standing out as round 1 selections is pretty slim and even if they did, I just don't see us going into round 1 with that much of an inexperienced team.

Personally, I was referring to AFL debuts, not Carlton debuts. Naturally with players like Smedts, Palmer, Silvagni and Marchbank, the number of potential Carlton debuts could be high.
I can certainly see that it's possible for some of SPS, Harry, Fisher, Pickett, Polson and maybe Macreadie and LeBois to put their hand up for round 1, but the likelihood of more than a couple standing out as round 1 selections is pretty slim and even if they did, I just don't see us going into round 1 with that much of an inexperienced team.
Yeah if it's AFL debuts then the big chances are Pickett, SPS, Fisher & Polson

Last edited:
Rnd 1 2009. Win with 5 debutants ended Wallaces career (was a dead man walking after that game). Would be nice to do the same to Hardwick.
The report that I found says 4 first gamers (Robinson, Garlett, Jacobs and Joseph) and part of that would be due to the fact that we were without regulars, Stevens, Carrazzo and Grigg.
Nice example, but more of an anomaly rather than the norm.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy if that many first gamers put their hand up for round 1. I just can't see it happening though.

Sam Petrevski-Seton: R1 22games
Harry McKay: R3 (after casboult gets dropped) 19 games
Zac Fisher: R19 4 games
Harrison Macreadie:next year
Cameron Polson: R6-9 4 games only
Tom Williamson: R12 6 games
Jarrod Pickett:R1 22games
Patrick Kerr: R16 2 games
Jesse Glass-McCasker: next year
Kym LeBois: R1 22games
Andrew Gallucci: R12 3/4 games
Matt Korcheck: next year

The report that I found says 4 first gamers (Robinson, Garlett, Jacobs and Joseph) and part of that would be due to the fact that we were without regulars, Stevens, Carrazzo and Grigg.
Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy if that many first gamers put their hand up for round 1. I just can't see it happening though.
Memory is not what it used to be. We should just go with 4 debutants then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.blueseum.org/Round+1,+2009

Chris Johnson also made his Carlton debut.

From the Blueseum

http://www.blueseum.org/Round+1,+2009

Chris Johnson also made his Carlton debut.

From the Blueseum
Yeah, but that wasn't an AFL debut. He had already played 30 odd games. I'm simply saying that I highly doubt we will take 5 players into round one with NO AFL experience, regardless of how good they perform on the training track or in NAB, unless we are forced to due to injury or some unforeseen circumstance.
If I had to take a guess and put a number on it, I would say that realistically maybe 1-2 players might make their AFL debut in round 1, and we wouldn't want to go any more than say 3 at an absolute stretch.

Ain't going to predict games but this is what I would like to see

Sam Petrevski-Seton: plenty of games, we need line breaking skilled footballers and less plodders
Harry McKay: the forward line is wide open, give the kid games now when we can afford to develop him
Zac Fisher: If a young small mid can play good WAFL and champs surely he can't butcher it like our 2015 mids
Harrison Macreadie: unlikely, sit him in the VFL to learn his craft
Cameron Polson: maybe a game or two late, we need to try all small forwards but he hasn't played in a while
Tom Williamson: young one so unlikely in 2017, I like the concept of a smooth moving left foot half back though
Jarrod Pickett: I hope this guy is good to go, we need some class thru the middle
Patrick Kerr: unlikely, couldn't see us wanting to be any less mobile up forward
Jesse Glass-McCasker: unlikely, want to show a bit more in the magoos to retain his spot in squad
LeBois/ Gallucci: maybe a game or two, we need to try all small forwards if they show anything in trials/magoos
Matt Korcheck: would be surprised but wouldn't it be great if we unearthed the next overseas ruck talent - this is an area we definitely need to improve

Injuries permitting, all of them.

When we're far off finals, it strikes me as a particularly lousy thing not to play all 45 kids on the list at least once over 22 rounds. After all, that's what they bust a gut for over the preseason and every kid has a Grandma Viv anticipating their first game eagerly.

#ifazulrantheclub
She will have to be patient:rolleyes:

I'd be happy to just see Pickett, SPS and Harry break into the best 22 (off the back of some stellar form in the VFL).

This would definitely change the dynamics of the team combined with the expected inclusion of Marchbank and Palmer.

BTW, I recall one of our rumour gurus saying that Pickett was on his way to Carlton and would need to change his body shape. From the pics I've seen he's well down the track to being in career best condition. Personally I think Pickett will be one of the most valuable inclusions to the side in 2017. With little exposed form to showcase his abilities I think he's one that's really slipped under the radar.

BTW, I recall one of our rumour gurus saying that Pickett was on his way to Carlton and would need to change his body shape. From the pics I've seen he's well down the track to being in career best condition. Personally I think Pickett will be one of the most valuable inclusions to the side in 2017. With little exposed form to showcase his abilities I think he's one that's really slipped under the radar.
Someone came back later with the info that he'd dropped 8 kgs. Unsure if that was compared to medical or GWS pre-season figures.

Being unable to train freely with a foot injury would have hampered that for a while.

I'd be happy to just see Pickett, SPS and Harry break into the best 22 (off the back of some stellar form in the VFL).

This would definitely change the dynamics of the team combined with the expected inclusion of Marchbank and Palmer.

Jarrod Pickett - Pick 4
Sam Petrevski-Seton - Pick 5
Caleb Marchbank - Pick 6

Pickett and Marchbank are both under the radar. IF their bodies are good to go moving forward.

If we get 3 A Grade stars out of:

SPS, Pickett, Marchbank, McKay, Curnow, SOSOS

to add to Cripps, Weits and Doc....then we have the backbone of a longterm finals side.

Jarrod Pickett - Pick 4
Sam Petrevski-Seton - Pick 5
Caleb Marchbank - Pick 6

Pickett and Marchbank are both under the radar. IF their bodies are good to go moving forward.

If we get 3 A Grade stars out of:

SPS, Pickett, Marchbank, McKay, Curnow, SOSOS

to add to Cripps, Weits and Doc....then we have the backbone of a longterm finals side.

The acquisition of Marchbank, Pickett and Palmer without giving up the SPS pick was generally received by commentators as a good average trade for Carlton, whereas I believe in 2-3 years time this trade may well be viewed as the pivotal moment in Carlton's rebuild.

Marchbank, Pickett and SPS could all be absolute guns whilst Palmer will be a solid C - B Grader over the next 2-3 years.

The reason why I say Pickett in particular has flown under the radar is that he was largely considered steak knives in this deal.

Back