Prediction Who will debut in 2018?

Who will debut in 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all reasonable and much more likely we'll be getting games into the four you mentioned above.

I'd like for us not to be forced into playing 40 players next year. Playing 32-35 could/would/should make for a very good year for the club.
40 players would tell us that we either have many injured or have several players from our best 22 in poor form..........and regardless for the thirst of playing first year players, that would not make for a good outcome for us.
The injury gods need to find a new whipping boy, we have had a bad run.

And we also know there are absolute stars who originally played lots of seconds footy. Dippa (99 reserves games) comes to mind. Bloke wins a Brownlow. I'm still not convinced the NB setup is much chop. Don't mind Fraser but we've played some toilet footy the last few years.

agree and I think the club realise that and are addressing it. I reckon the NB's are genuine top 4 in 2018. On top of our list they have signed some very handy players recently

agree and I think the club realise that and are addressing it. I reckon the NB's are genuine top 4 in 2018. On top of our list they have signed some very handy players recently
About ******* time

Didn't Bruce Doull play a season or 2 in the reserves?

How many players that have played a few seasons in the reserves in recent years, have become absolute stars of the comp? Not many. Any?

We have to forget Doull, Tuck or Dippa. We've all got trigger fingers now. No time to waste time....

The injury gods need to find a new whipping boy, we have had a bad run.

I can think of a reigning AFL premier that is probably due some shitty luck.

Won't name the team though, that would be poor form....

not sure I get this concept of a player sitting in the reserves for a year or two to hone his craft - 1. I don't think it's a good place to develop 2. If he can play, give him a taste and more 3. Aside from big blokes has this produced much fruit for us in the past?
Can’t see TDK displacing Casboult and McKay in 2018. So a development year in the VFL for his system.

Where McKay plays and rucks well enough that we drop Casboult, I expect we will bring in a smaller player in place of Casboult.

How many players that have played a few seasons in the reserves in recent years, have become absolute stars of the comp? Not many. Any?

We have to forget Doull, Tuck or Dippa. We've all got trigger fingers now. No time to waste time....

Not sure about stars, but Ed Curnow spent a lot of time playing seconds as did Barlow, Podsiadly wasn’t too long ago. Depends why they’re playing seconds though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about stars, but Ed Curnow spent a lot of time playing seconds as did Barlow, Podsiadly wasn’t too long ago. Depends why they’re playing seconds though.

Ed spent one year as a rookie at Adelaide and was delisted. We picked him up a year or two later, from Box Hill.
I can't recall him playing any seconds football with us.

Barlow came from the VFL and was an instant hit at Fremantle.
Not sure he played too many games in the seconds as an AFL listed player and same with Podsiadly.

My point was that players on AFL clubs' lists are rarely given years to develop under their noses, then suddenly turn into stars.

Reckon there is little doubt we'll see Down and O'Brien at some point - probably both will play a good number of games unless they run into injury issues. If I had to guess, I'd say Dow will play around 15 and O'Brien maybe 10.

think the balance might go the other way LOB looks more physically ready to compete and plays in the less physically demanding wing role.

hate to see a young dow closer into the pack against a monster inside mid. Last thing we need is a cruncher like happened to murphy early on.

I’m one that sees opportunity for JGM. I’m not sold on Jones yet. Really struggles on mobile players, and although his intent to attack the ball is great, his decision making when he does it, needs plenty of work still.

Remove Rowe, who should be finished as an AFL player, and JGM can fill a role if he wants it badly enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ed spent one year as a rookie at Adelaide and was delisted. We picked him up a year or two later, from Box Hill.
I can't recall him playing any seconds football with us.

Barlow came from the VFL and was an instant hit at Fremantle.
Not sure he played too many games in the seconds as an AFL listed player and same with Podsiadly.

My point was that players on AFL clubs' lists are rarely given years to develop under their noses, then suddenly turn into stars.

Sam mitchell is closer 1 year in the vfl, 1.5 year after draft in the vfl then a breakout.

Sam mitchell is closer 1 year in the vfl, 1.5 year after draft in the vfl then a breakout.

So Mitchell was on Hawthorns list for one and a half years before getting a senior call-up?
That qualifies I guess, as that would be about 25-odd VFL games, unless he was injured, of course.

EDIT. From Wiki.
Debut season[edit]
The first half of his debut season in 2002 saw him playing with the Box Hill Hawks, until he broke into the Hawthorn side midway through the season. Following some unimpressive performances where he never managed more than 14 disposals, he was dropped for round 15 but was recalled after more eye-catching performances in round 19. He polled 31 votes in just 11 games to win the VFL's best and fairest award, the J. J. Liston Trophy.[3]

This suggests he debuted halfway through his first season with the Hawks. Myth busted. :)

I’m one that sees opportunity for JGM. I’m not sold on Jones yet. Really struggles on mobile players, and although his intent to attack the ball is great, his decision making when he does it, needs plenty of work still.

Remove Rowe, who should be finished as an AFL player, and JGM can fill a role if he wants it badly enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jones will be ok if the mids ‘slow the ball’.

Rowe is backup in the latter part of 2018.

JGM needs a really good season to get a gig on the Senior List.

ASOS most likely if Jones or someone goes down, Macreadie is a really good player in the making too.

Back