• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
A lot of this probably could go in individual player threads but I saw this on the Blues board and thought some people might be interested in broadly speculating. With the new rookie list rules there will likely be more rookies playing AFL footy on any given weekend.

The obvious picks are Sam Murray and Jaidyn Stephenson. If I was framing an over/under market I'd have Murray as 14.5 games and Stephenson as 11.5 games.

The next tier of contenders are Mihocek, Murphy, McLarty, and Sier.
Mihocek is a big chance if a starting KPP gets injured. We know he has successfully played on AFL players in the VFL so he is ready to go when required.
If Murphy or Sier can have a good run of VFL footy you'd expect them to get a place in the mids/half forward pecking order of VFL players waiting for a senior player to get injured/suspended/lose form.
I'm confident McLarty could get an opportunity if his form from the end of 2017 holds up in the VFL.

The player I'm having trouble placing is Appleby. I don't think he'll play AFL this year but I just don't know what to expect from him. We're never in a position to not pick an in form lockdown defender. So I can easily see him getting a game in the right circumstances. But still, wouldn't expect to be seeing him play this year.

The players I'd be shocked if they were in a position to debut this year are Tyler Brown, Magden, and Lynch.
Brown seems to have a lot going for him. But his body probably needs the most development out of all our draftees, and he has a lot to work on his game from what I've read. Dekka even said after the draft he needs to work on kicking the ball more.
Lynch is probably 4th in line for the starting ruck position behind Grundy, Cox, and Moore.
Magden is going to be having a development year. If he does well he'll get another year on the list.

I have voted for Stephenson, Murray, McLarty, and Sier

I'll punt on these playing at least one senior game in 2018:

• Stephenson
  • Murphy
  • Murray
  • McLarty
  • Sier

Murray and Stephenson are certainties I'd say. In the early rounds Bucks usually plays those he recruits in from other clubs... and Stephenson has already bulked up a little and offers the burst speed we need.

Mihoceks arrival says to me that they want to give McLarty more VFL time to develop... so I say Mikocek as soon as Dunn or Reid go down

Too many mid 185-190cm sized players down back and up front for Murphy to play this year

The rest are only a small small chance. With our grunt midfield depth i don't think Sier will ever play a game for Collingwood

Murray and Stephenson are certainties I'd say. In the early rounds Bucks usually plays those he recruits in from other clubs... and Stephenson has already bulked up a little and offers the burst speed we need.

Mihoceks arrival says to me that they want to give McLarty more VFL time to develop... so I say Mikocek as soon as Dunn or Reid go down

Too many mid 185-190cm sized players down back and up front for Murphy to play this year

The rest are only a small small chance. With our grunt midfield depth i don't think Sier will ever play a game for Collingwood
Yep these are my thoughts too. If McLarty has a good start to the year I think he can be added in maybe in the second half of the year. Otherwise Mihocek will play if Dunn, Goldy or Reid are injured.

Smokey for me will be Appleby. Kid works hard and plays a position where we lack imo.

Murphy is too skinny he’ll need to bulk up a lot. He’ll maybe get his shot year 2.

The rest no chance. Sier hopefully can get over these injuries he keeps getting but it’s going to be hard for him to break into the side even if he finds form.

Yep these are my thoughts too. If McLarty has a good start to the year I think he can be added in maybe in the second half of the year. Otherwise Mihocek will play if Dunn, Goldy or Reid are injured.

Smokey for me will be Appleby. Kid works hard and plays a position where we lack imo.

Even if one of Dunn, Goldsack or Reid go down... Mihocek or McLarty may not play depending on who the opposition is. You definitely bring one of them in if you are playing a tall forward line like Crows.... maybe not so against a smaller forward line like Tigers.

Appleby is an interesting one. Bucks loved Toovey for a while there, so maybe this kid comes in and does a job for the gaffer at some point.

Every cloud has a silver lining.
Yes it when you can find out wether they can step up or not.
But hopefully the injury curse will not be that bad this year

Yes it when you can find out wether they can step up or not.
But hopefully the injury curse will not be that bad this year
Hopefully. Will make all the difference.

What about just the M's just for fun?

Murphy
Murray
Mihoceck
McLarty
Magden

That's a lot of M's.

Throw in Max (Lynch)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can see Mihocek Ready to play, Murray has a few senior years behind him, so both these guys.

Sier will need to or he may struggle to stay on the list. Would like to see McLarty come on and earn a spot, we need his type and he could potentially fill a big hole over the next few years.

Stephenson is the most likely of this year’s draftees. I can’t see Brown getting up physically this year.

What about just the M's just for fun?

Murphy
Murray
Mihoceck
McLarty
Magden

That's a lot of M's.

Throw in Max (Lynch)
All the best people have surnames starting with M...

Mihocek as a mature ager is AFL ready.

Appleby put together some good VFL performances last season and we're lacking a small shutdown defender.

Murray has 2 years in the system with the swans and provides run we lack. Given the cost paid the club must rate him highly.

Outside of Grundy and Cox Lynch is the only ruck on our list, so while he's still very much developing if the worst happens we may not have a choice. 2019 is more his year to crack senior footy though.

Typically our first few draftees play at least a couple of games, so I'd expect Murphy and Stephenson to debut.

Murphy
Murray
McLarty
Stephenson

I think Appleby will end up playing the most games of the debutants.

Stephenson, Murray and McLarty will also debut.

And Mick Malthouse to return as coaching director!?
McGuire stays leader.

We use Magpies more as our name.

McAllister to return to be in charge of cultural inclusion.

McGuire stays leader.

We use Magpies more as our name.

McAllister to return to be in charge of cultural inclusion.

See Saintly, some others may claim it, but you and I are the real stable geniuses :p

Back