Prediction Who will debut in 2020?

Who will make their senior debut in 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As always, with the list now set, we look towards the 2020 season.

Who will make their senior debut next year? How many games will they play, and why?

9 to choose from this time around, more than the past two seasons at least.

How many touches in the finals?
Will start at full forward and kick a lazy 6 in the first third of the game, will then go in the guts and amass 8 clearances, 12 contested out of his 17 touches and kick another 3 goals, will then be pushed to CHB to curtail a runaway Tom Lynch and will hold him goalless while taking 10 intercept marks and 15 rebound 50 s in the last third of the game. Blues win by 57 points and eliminate Richmond from the finals in a Prelim for the ages. Kemp voted BOG and wins Rising Star from 5 games.

If his rehab goes well, he could notch up a game or 2 late in the season, although, would also be happy to put him in cotton wool

Think we will err on the side of caution with Kemp, it wouldn't surprise if we only see him in the second half of 2021.

Newnes and Pittonet

Only those who are yet to make their senior AFL debut included in the poll.

But yes, would expect to see those two throughout the year, in particular Newnes. Martin and Betts too, of course.

Think we will err on the side of caution with Kemp, it wouldn't surprise if we only see him in the second half of 2021.

Doesn't faze me when he gets a run and I would expect him to start with controlled minutes at VFL level back end of next year

Worst case, he will be right to go round 1 2021

I couldn’t see this happening on many fronts. Players want to play, and unless something goes off course in the rehab, then start of 2021 would be worst case scenario (full pre-season & practice matches) - 2nd half would be way too long, especially considering he’s been given the all-clear from his surgeon to resume running around draft time.

I couldn’t see this happening on many fronts. Players want to play, and unless something goes off course in the rehab, then start of 2021 would be worst case scenario (full pre-season & practice matches) - 2nd half would be way too long, especially considering he’s been given the all-clear from his surgeon to resume running around draft time.

Talking about senior level, not football in general.

He may feature for the Northern Blues towards the end of 2020.

Talking about senior level, not football in general.

He may feature for the Northern Blues towards the end of 2020.

More than likely, controlled minutes to get a taste of things, as Arrow said above.

If he’s right to go 2021, it’d be from the get-go, no need to be conservative if they’re doing the training, which he should be back in the thick of things & up for selection.

More than likely, controlled minutes to get a taste of things, as Arrow said above.

If he’s right to go 2021, it’d be from the get-go, no need to be conservative if they’re doing the training, which he should be back in the thick of things & up for selection.

The conservative approach has little to do with the knee at that stage, more that he likely won't have the fitness for a big guy off his first, and likely still limited, preseason.

I assume you mean Sam, not Fraser?

Yes. Sam Philp or at least in the short term as Phillips seems to be some way off any potential start in the seniors.

Anyway, we'll get to see them all soon enough and I'm looking forward to getting kicked out of PP on a regular basis over the coming months. :)

Philp is the most likely to get a run in the seniors, saw in an interview that he played as a small forward in the juniors so wouldn’t be surprised if he got a run as a forward to start with maybe with short bursts pushing up to the wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if we will put Kemp on the LTI straight away, I saw that the Bumbers have put Lachlan Johnson on there inactive list so they can add a player in the SSP think we will probably do the same with Kemp especially if Webb is training well and looking like a good option.
I’d be happy for the club to park Kemp in rehab for the whole of 2020 to make sure his recovery is in no way compromised. Would his availability for Northern Blues, mid to late 2020 season, as part of a staggered conditioning program, mean he‘d have to come off LTI?

Last edited:
I’d be happy for the club to park Kemp in rehab for the whole of 2020 to make sure his recovery is in no way compromised. Would his availability for Northern Blues, mid to late 2020 season, as part of a staggered conditioning program, mean he‘d have to come off LTI?
From what I gather, if we place him on an LTI list, we can only replace him with a Cat B rookie, ie Owies....once he comes back from the injury during the year, Owies goes back on to the Cat B list.

If he's placed on a season ending injury list like Doc last year, we can bring another player in through the SSP as per Gibbo. Kemp then could only come back if we have another player placed on the season ending injury list....so, for example, if we wanted to bring him in for say the last 4 games of the year in the NB's, there would have to be a player who has done a hammie or something, and done for the rest of the year....which is often the case over the last month or so when players are put on ice for the year for early surgery.

From what I gather, if we place him on an LTI list, we can only replace him with a Cat B rookie, ie Owies....once he comes back from the injury during the year, Owies goes back on to the Cat B list.

If he's placed on a season ending injury list like Doc last year, we can bring another player in through the SSP as per Gibbo. Kemp then could only come back if we have another player placed on the season ending injury list....so, for example, if we wanted to bring him in for say the last 4 games of the year in the NB's, there would have to be a player who has done a hammie or something, and done for the rest of the year....which is often the case over the last month or so when players are put on ice for the year for early surgery.
If we do go down the SSP route, any idea when that would that take place?

I would have thought Phillips and O'Brien very unlikely, they are both very raw. Owies and Honey a bit more advanced at this stage but probably not going to debut. I think all the other 5 are a chance to debut, especially if we drop out of the finals race. Kemp is likely to start back in the twos early enough in the season that if we are out of the finals race he might just be given a taste in the ones just for the experience. Likewise Ben Silvagni if he shows anything at all might be given a chance in the ones to see if he steps up in better company. If he doesn't make a debut this year he is likely on shaky ground to stay on the list and I think they will give him every chance before they cut him. The other three are all real chances to make a debut based on merit. Cottrell may be on the rookie list but training reports are quite positive, Philp flew home in the last half of his U18 year and that is often a pointer to a player going places and Ramsay has a lot to like about him. Of course it will all be impacted by how hard injuries hit as well as the form of these players, but that's my read of the situation.

Sadly the % chance of Kruezer being injury free for a full season is pretty much zero. Pittonet is a good bet to get a run at some point.
If we are including club debut I would have thought Martin a certainty, injury excepted, and probably a fixture in the team, Newnes and Pittonet near certainties, injury excepted, with Newnes a chance at being a regular and Pittonet almost certainly only if/when Kreuzer is not available, and even then may have competition from TDK.

Will start at full forward and kick a lazy 6 in the first third of the game, will then go in the guts and amass 8 clearances, 12 contested out of his 17 touches and kick another 3 goals, will then be pushed to CHB to curtail a runaway Tom Lynch and will hold him goalless while taking 10 intercept marks and 15 rebound 50 s in the last third of the game. Blues win by 57 points and eliminate Richmond from the finals in a Prelim for the ages. Kemp voted BOG and wins Rising Star from 5 games.

Don't forget 6 brownlow votes for being all 3 best players on the ground.

Back