Prediction Who will debut in 2023?

Who will debut in 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lemmey- if one of Charlie or Harry are missing due to injury, or other circumstances, I'd say Lemmey will get a chance... (more likely in second half of year debut, that is)...

Hollands and Cowan look like they can contribute something already. But it'll probably mean Cottrell and LOB will miss out. (Binns is an outside chance, but I think he will bide his times in the VFL).

Can't see Mirkov and Akuei debuting this year unless there is a combination of outstanding form on their part, and a bad run with injuries...

If any of them debut this year we are again cruelled by injuries or players have not improved or regressed from 2022 form.

My wish is none of them do as that'll mean the 2022 gents have improved and are hungry after just missing out on some finals action.
If Hollands takes LOB's spot on the wing i will not be devastated

If any of them debut this year we are again cruelled by injuries or players have not improved or regressed from 2022 form.

My wish is none of them do as that'll mean the 2022 gents have improved and are hungry after just missing out on some finals action.
I should think that certain players can improve to a degree and still be overtaken by our new crop. I'm pretty sure that was the plan.

Dutchy will make his debut at some stage during the year.....clubs tend to showcase their higher draft picks especially early in the season.

After watching him in the U18 Champs, the message to him needs to be simple when he debuts - run and overlap, run and over lap, run and overlap. It's his one wood, and was one of our glaring weaknesses last year - which is why we brought him and Binnsy into our list.

Binns and Cow may get a call up at some stage during the year - most likely Cow - he looks like he's ready to mix it up in the big time. Not sure about Lem - needs a preseason or two to get some meat on the bones....no point throwing him into the deep end if they feel he isn't quite ready. Looking forward to see him running around in the magoos though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hollands towards middle of the year, to play just a handful this year though. If our wings were stronger I doubt he would debut at all.

Cowan and Binns likely no as too many ahead of them.

Lemmey may also debut if a gun tall fwd or ruck went down.

Think all of our 2022 draftees will get a taste of AFL footy in 2023
That is a weird statement. They have already had a taste of AFL footy by being at the club and engaging in activities. To suggest all will get a game is ludicrous. It would equate to either a poor season by the club, giving opportunity to all or a massive injury list.

We are “in the window” if we perform to expectation/potential, it will be hard enough getting some proven and existing developing types in to the 22. Cowan will get a game if he shows quality form and opportunity arises. Fair chance Hollands gets a good run, but no guarantees in his first year. Binns will have opportunity to bang the door down, but I see him an more unlikely at this stage. Even if Lemmey excels at VFL level, he will struggle for opportunity early.

That is no slight on any of them, it is reality, if our list stays healthy, spots will be very hard to come by. It is not a “development year”.

That is a weird statement. They have already had a taste of AFL footy by being at the club and engaging in activities. To suggest all will get a game is ludicrous. It would equate to either a poor season by the club, giving opportunity to all or a massive injury list.

We are “in the window” if we perform to expectation/potential, it will be hard enough getting some proven and existing developing types in to the 22. Cowan will get a game if he shows quality form and opportunity arises. Fair chance Hollands gets a good run, but no guarantees in his first year. Binns will have opportunity to bang the door down, but I see him an more unlikely at this stage. Even if Lemmey excels at VFL level, he will struggle for opportunity early.

That is no slight on any of them, it is reality, if our list stays healthy, spots will be very hard to come by. It is not a “development year”.

So you are saying they are a chance

No club has an injury free run and the likes of Hollands and or Binns could easily achieve the same or better output as Cotts and LOB

Lemmey has the talent to play this year, pushing Charlie to be the 3rd tall

So with likely injuries, 4 on the bench and a 5th sub, an extra round, I don't think it's ludicrous at all for them to get a chance at senior level

Last edited:
So you are saying they are a chance

No club has an injury free run and the likes of Hollands and or Binns could easily achieve the same or better output as Cotts and LOB

So with likely injuries, 4 on the bench and a 5th sub, an extra round, I don't think it's ludicrous at all for them to get a chance at senior level
I think the major difference, when compared to our recent history, is that these draftees are a chance to play in 2023 if they are good enough - but, not required to play.

Our list is in a healthy state and therefore the only reason that these 2022 draftees get a chance to play is that they usurp any existing options.
This is a great problem to have, which we haven't had for a while

Bring on 2023!

Lemmey take you down
Cause I’m going to maul both ends of the fields

Lemmey take you down
Cause I’m going to maul both ends of the fields

I dream of having a 2nd ruck option that can mark and kick like him. Its been a long time since the last one.
(Who was our last 200cm player that marked, kicked and played the ground-ball as well as a young Lemmy?)

Back