• No one

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone think it might be time for Jones to do a Jones? Position him FF and send one of Cas or McGovern back.

His closing speed, willingness to crash packs and effort to stop the opposition intercepting every other entry are all missing in our forward half. I'd expect his accuracy will be an issue, but as a sum of all parts I'm thinking this might benefit the team more than our current setup.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone think it might be time for Jones to do a Jones? Position him FF and send one of Cas or McGovern back.

His closing speed, willingness to crash packs and stop the opposition intercepting every other entry are all missing in our forward half. I'd expect his accuracy will be an issue, but as a sum of all parts I'm thinking this might benefit the team more than our current setup.
You serious?

We got a glimpse of Jones the forward recently. It wasn’t pretty.

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
You serious?

We got a glimpse of Jones the forward recently. It wasn’t pretty.
What wasn't pretty about it? That he read the ball and got to the drop faster then the 5 players which were closer, or that he snapped a point to prove an inability to produce a 100% scoring accuracy?

Jones isn't pretty anywhere on the ground, and not sure we can carry him during his bad games for another 2 years if we're to be a threat.

Hopefully no one else!

In all seriousness, anyone else feel like Dow and LOB will have breakout seasons under Voss? It sure has been a long time coming. Stocker is another one who I feel is absolutely PRIMED for a big year.
breakout thread ffs............

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Jack Carroll is going to earn a spot in our 22 this year. The kid will be a gun winger.
One thing to bear in mind with Carroll - he's still 18. Carroll's birthday is 20-Dec. It makes him just 2-3 weeks older than the likes of Nick Daicos, Josh Browne, Josh Sinn and Mitch Knevitt who are all early-Jan kids.

It's not unfair to consider him in terms of body development with these kids, rather than many of those in his draft year.

It's a consideration the recruiters need to look at. There's a lot of difference in development between the January and December kids. For that reason, it's always worth looking at the birth dates to see if perhaps there's a December gem still with a lot of development to go. This year, Darcy Wilmot and Angus Anderson are both born on 31-Dec. They're nearly a whole year younger than Daicos and Browne (3-Jan).

St. Kilda's Jack Peris is also a youngster (17-Dec). Other December babes: Jason Baird (29-Dec); Anthony Caminiti (9-Dec); Neil Erasmus (2-Dec); Jack Williams (1-Dec).

It's especially relevant for the talls like Caminiti and Williams who may be still growing. I like Williams - would be a good type for us, but would be a longer-term investment. If we were to drop 25 to mid-30s he'd be one to consider, though goes against what Austin said he's looking for.

Hopefully history can repeat itself...

An average forward from Western Bulldogs, gets traded to Carlton and turn into an elite key position defender..

So my hope is Young...

But also
Stocker - to make his way into the midfield to show us what he has got
Marchbank - move past his injuries and stay fit.
McGovern - to shut the doubters up and lock down a position either forward or back and stay fit.
Carrol - get's an opportunity to show us what he has got in the seniors
Philp - get's an opportunity to show us what he has got in the seniors and stay fit

Dow & LOB - times run out now, either step up or can't see them on the list 2023

One thing to bear in mind with Carroll - he's still 18. Carroll's birthday is 20-Dec. It makes him just 2-3 weeks older than the likes of Nick Daicos, Josh Browne, Josh Sinn and Mitch Knevitt who are all early-Jan kids.

It's not unfair to consider him in terms of body development with these kids, rather than many of those in his draft year.

It's a consideration the recruiters need to look at. There's a lot of difference in development between the January and December kids. For that reason, it's always worth looking at the birth dates to see if perhaps there's a December gem still with a lot of development to go. This year, Darcy Wilmot and Angus Anderson are both born on 31-Dec. They're nearly a whole year younger than Daicos and Browne (3-Jan).

St. Kilda's Jack Peris is also a youngster (17-Dec). Other December babes: Jason Baird (29-Dec); Anthony Caminiti (9-Dec); Neil Erasmus (2-Dec); Jack Williams (1-Dec).

It's especially relevant for the talls like Caminiti and Williams who may be still growing. I like Williams - would be a good type for us, but would be a longer-term investment. If we were to drop 25 to mid-30s he'd be one to consider, though goes against what Austin said he's looking for.

Well and good. I just thing the kid has all of the necessary tools. The height, the pace, the vision and the disposal. I think he gets overlooked in a lot of the future planning on this board. I can't wait to see him at the top level.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
That’s a courageous decision, but can’t see it happing for a few seasons yet, let Pitto do the ramming and risk the heavier contact, TDK is a valuable asset should be able to participate more in the engine room once he matures physically and aerobic capacity is up.
Pittonet can be a quality first ruck. Many supporters don’t appreciate the physical duress he has played under at times in the last two years. But Pitto is a meat and potatoes solid workhorse who will do his job week in week out.

TDK has shown us glimpses of being on another level. He also has had a series of significant injuries. He has developed despite interrupted programs in each year to date. If Tom gets an uninterrupted preseason, the sky is the limit. While he will not quite be fully developed physically for the bash and crash rucks, his athleticism with a solid grounding will take him beyond Pitto’s levels. Pittonet does not have the forward craft to warrant a tandem ruck division full time, but I fully expect to start 2022 with both in the team. Few clubs play just one ruck these days, but if we want to be creative and use Harry in the Hawkins forward ruck role, perhaps Young or OMac assisting from defence and JSOS playing some minutes as a chop out we could be effective.

The unknown is young Mirkov. While he is coming from a long way back, people forget he is a similar age to TDK. He is athletic and 210cm tall. He is not a monolith like Sandilands, he has a good degree of athleticism and in his short VFL auditions offered a significant hit out to advantage ratio. Most seem to think he is a long term project, he really has the physical profile to compete for a best 22 spot after putting a solid block of games together. That may be as soon as next season.

This thread is hilarious. Who would've guessed that the only player on that list to break into our best 22 and play almost every game for the next two seasons was...

Levi Casboult.

Back