Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

VineyToClark

Senior List
Jan 16, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Two worst teams of 2018 and are expected to hold up the ladder again in 2019 but who finishes higher?

Brendon-Bolton-Carlton-Blues-AFL-2017-768x525.jpg

I wouldn’t underestimate the Suns. If Dew has the respect of the players and there are no distractions like Lynch and May, then I expect a more competitive output. Though like Carlton, they had some horrendous losses and would be looking to bridge the gap in the losing margins.

Carlton regressed in 2018. A couple pre-season injuries already have hurt but much will depend on the development of our second, third and fourth year players - players like SPS, Weirering, Marchbank, Dow etc.

I expect Carlton to finish higher but feel GC will be more competitive

Carlton will be a few wins ahead of the Gold Coast, seem to be building a much more balanced list and are a few years ahead of the GC in development. Ruck a bit of a weakness but Gold Coasts weaknesses are everywhere especially the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think injuries will play a big part. Both clubs have been awful in this regard in the last few seasons.
Yeah

I wonder how much having a young mean list age impacts injuries statistically. It's not an absolute but it seems to me 1st and second year players might be more at risk of things like groin soreness and hamstrings that are related to body development. Love to see a view from someone with insight.

Yeah

I wonder how much having a young mean list age impacts injuries statistically. It's not an absolute but it seems to me 1st and second year players might be more at risk of things like groin soreness and hamstrings that are related to body development. Love to see a view from someone with insight.
I agree, Carlton and Suns had one of the worst injuries list in 2018. I would be interested to know what is average age of Carlton best 22 for round 1. In case of Suns my best 22 it's not bad - 23yr 10mth (including playing Rankine and Lukosius). My best 35 players it's stays the same. Suns got some depth this year.

Last edited:
Question is how long Dew gets if this season is a disaster. He won’t get the chop yet but McKenna had four, Rocket three. Would they pull the trigger on Dew after three as well?

You can also flip that around and ask "How long Bolton gets if he has a repeat of the 2018 season?" where the Blues not only win the spoon but hand over Pick 1 to the Crows.

Question is how long Dew gets if this season is a disaster. He won’t get the chop yet but McKenna had four, Rocket three. Would they pull the trigger on Dew after three as well?

McKenna and Eade weren’t sacked on win-loss alone though and expectations were higher. Unless there’s something else going wrong between Dew and this group, I don’t see his job being at risk regardless of onfield results.

McKenna and Eade weren’t sacked on win-loss alone though and expectations were higher. Unless there’s something else going wrong between Dew and this group, I don’t see his job being at risk regardless of onfield results.
I think being their third coach means they can't afford to replace another coach right now, unless their seriously forced to, which seems unlikely. New clubs need stability more than others Ithink.

Back