Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood or Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Richmond

Votes: 196 38.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 157 30.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 56 11.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunno if its been mentioned but i think Collingwood with the return of its talls will be at least top 2.
Everyone talks about beams coming to the midfield but Goldsack only played 4 games Moore 7 Reid if he can stay on the park 6 and they lost Dunn rnd 14 and i reckon he is wholesale sold short by most.
they have the option to now structure up the following way

FB/ #### - Dunn - Goldsack
HB/ #### - Moore - ####

HF/ #### - Reid - ####
FF/ #### - Mihocek - Cox

R/ Grundy -#### - ####

Jetta and T McDonald I'll give ya the rest are average at best
You'll forgive me for not taking anything you're giving. I value my health.

Harmes became the best tagger in the league by the end of the year. And Hibberd is an AA defender.

I apologise in advance, but I usually put people with a low IQ on ignore.

Of course it’s easy to say Melbourne had an easy draw and we are flat track bullies. We did have an easier draw. But we shot ourselves in the foot on a few occasions. 2 times v Geelong, the port game and the swans game. For me the last 4 wins we had, all against top 8 sides including 2 finals says more about the group in terms of where they’re headed. Not the atrocious preliminary final. If we went out in the first final we’d have been labeled failures like 2017. But for such a young group we have taken big steps. The midfield have so much development in it. Oliver Brayshaw Viney Harmes all played fantastic football at times last season and all under 25. Throw in Petracca. That’s just a few of the guys playing through the middle. There aren’t too many players at the pointy end of their careers.

Saying the tougher draw this year is what’s holding us back is a cop out. Just say you don’t rate us and think our list will stagnate.

You'll forgive me for not taking anything you're giving. I value my health.

Harmes became the best tagger in the league by the end of the year. And Hibberd is an AA defender.

I apologise in advance, but I usually put people with a low IQ on ignore.
You want me to complain about Hutchings not playing? Hibberd very overrated player

Dunno if its been mentioned but i think Collingwood with the return of its talls will be at least top 2.
Everyone talks about beams coming to the midfield but Goldsack only played 4 games Moore 7 Reid if he can stay on the park 6 and they lost Dunn rnd 14 and i reckon he is wholesale sold short by most.
they have the option to now structure up the following way

FB/ #### - Dunn - Goldsack
HB/ #### - Moore - ####

HF/ #### - Reid - ####
FF/ #### - Mihocek - Cox

R/ Grundy -#### - ####

Might be a ludicrous claim but I think Collingwood were so successful in September because of those injuries, not in spite of them. They had been bumbling round with that configuration with Buckley for a few years. It was the additional run off half back and dynamic, flexi fwd line that vaulted them to a GF. If they attempt to restore their Rd 1 2018 best 22 into the team for Rd 1 2019 I think they may be off to a shaky start.

That’s what makes your behaviour so absurd. Most Pie fans barely mention Richmond.

I guess you need to take your GF shortcomings out on someone.

Preliminary final loss still hurts I see. You really need to move on. Oh how would Richmond Supporters cope if they lose to Collingwood in round 2

Collingwood’s failure in big games is more of a glaring problem than Melbourne’s IMO.

Melbourne lost over in the west in unfamiliar conditions at an unfamiliar ground. They weren’t expected to win either. You can hardly consider that a failure. Collingwood were pantsed by an interstate side (without their two best players) on their home deck with the majority of the crowd behind them. They also blew a five goal lead in the process and were at once stage paying $1.03 to win. I’d say your “crunch” moments need more addressing than Melbourne’s.

WCE and Richmond obviously aren’t in the conversation as we’ve both tasted the ultimate success and are proven in crunch moments.

Cheers

Like last years preliminary final when you were hot favourites to go back to back??? Only reason why you won in 2017 was because Adelaide were basically crap on gf day

Might be a ludicrous claim but I think Collingwood were so successful in September because of those injuries, not in spite of them. They had been bumbling round with that configuration with Buckley for a few years. It was the additional run off half back and dynamic, flexi fwd line that vaulted them to a GF. If they attempt to restore their Rd 1 2018 best 22 into the team for Rd 1 2019 I think they may be off to a shaky start.
Flogs on BigFooty spend infinitely more time hypothesising about best 22 than AFL Clubs do for two primary reasons:
- Any perceived best 22 is never available, and
- It is subject to change based on form and opposition.

Take Collingwood for example - so many pundits wouldn't have found room for Elliott, Moore, Reid or Wells in our best 22 come the end of last year, but most would have had them all in the best 22 at the start of the season.

Take the following players in 2019 - Quaynor, Daicos, Reid - would you expect any of them to be in the Pies best 22 come the end of the season? It is impossible to predict. I'm sure most will say Reid wouldn't be, but I guarantee if he gets a good run at it he could be a very handy swingman for the club.

Who would have predicted Chris Mayne to be universally rated in Collingwood's best 22 at the end of last season? I certainly didn't have Tom Langdon in my 'Best 22' at the start of 2018, but after an outstanding Finals series, he should be a walk up start in 2019.

Earlier in this thread, 36 players for Collingwood were listed, and I wouldn't be astounded if any of them are acknowledged as best 22 players come the end of 2019 by the 'experts' amongst the BigFooty community..

Comfortably cover Richmond based on 1 win in the last 3 years against us? You can definitely beat us again, as long as dusty is not playing while mason cox has another game that he is unlikely to ever have again.
See you rd 2.

lol dusty played in the preliminary final!! Good luck maintaining our midfield which dusty will need to be accountable for and trying to hold down de goey!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that we appeared to cover our injuries reasonably well...no different to the Eagles really.

Gaff out allowed Sheed to step up
NicNat out allowed Vardy in
Shep out allowed Schofield a go

Our problem was dealing with big KPFs - Kennedy had half a dozen shots on goal in both the QF and GF, Jack also tore us apart in the PF.

That partly because we were playing a 4th or 5th choice option in Goldsack on them - Dunn, Moore, Scharenberg and Reid would have all been better options as our main tall defender.

Even Vardy was being matched up against flankers at times and he bobbed up for a few marks in F50. Eagles were always going to cause us trouble with our lack our KPDs.

But yeah come 2019 it is an entirely new ball game, our ‘best 22’ won’t be the team that played in the GF let alone the team from Rd1 2018.

Admit that the draw has no connection with CP stats.

That would be incorrect though.

You will win less CP against a battle hardened top four side and win more against weak sides such as GC and Carlton who are playing developmemt players / kids.

It isnt THAT hard to understand surely?

Do YOU do football? If you cant grasp this basic concept no one can help you unfortunately.

No, we weren't flogged because you didn't tank. Btw, you're obsessed with beating a young team on preliminary final day. It will have no bearing on the future.

Yes, the early picks did help us get to preliminary final day. They may also help get us a flag. If so, I won't be complaining.

Who has argued that high draft picks automatically make the player or team better ? Why do you feel the need to even state this ? Maybe you can quote a post somewhere where this has been argued. If not, what is the relevance of even bringing it up ? You're stating the bleeding obvious, captain.

Harmes a rookie.

vandenberg a rookie.

Jetta delisted and picked back up as a rookie.

Hibberd a preseason draft selection.

Tom McDonald pick 57 - third round. His Brother pick 57 also.

I get it.

You do know Melbournes list last year was older than the Eagles list?

Eagles had much more finals experience though. Probably helps when the club doesnt tank for draft picks.

Carry on. I look forward to your next 'pearl of wisdom'.

That would be incorrect though.

You will win less CP against a battle hardened top four side and win more against weak sides such as GC and Carlton who are playing developmemt players / kids.

It isnt THAT hard to understand surely?

Do YOU do football? If you cant grasp this basic concept no one can help you unfortunately.
Up until preliminary final day we'd won 23 of 24 when it came to CP. Clearly, it's not the be all and end all because we lost many of those matches, nonetheless the drawer made no difference to our ability to win this particular stat.

If you can't fathom this there's not much more I can do to educate you.

You do know Melbournes list last year was older than the Eagles list?

Eagles had much more finals experience though. Probably helps when the club doesnt tank for draft picks.

Carry on. I look forward to your next 'pearl of wisdom'.
The average age of lists and even games rank mean little in isolation, especially as lists don't take to the field. What's more important is the 22 that takes to the field.

In the preliminary final West Coast had 11 players with 150 games or more. That's half the side. Melbourne had 5. That's less than a quarter of the side.

Across the 22 WC were 18 months older and had on average 25 games more experience, i.e. 550 more games.

Happy to help. Again.

Last edited:
So what is this magical formula that sets Richmond apart from other clubs in injuries and injury management ?
One thing I noticed about Richmond is how conservative they are when it comes to injured players.

With the exception of Dustin Martin in the PF, Richmond usually don’t field at-risk players even when the injury is small. If you look at last year, there are plenty of players that have missed games. Sometimes it is for one week, sometimes 2. They then come back to the team. That’s something that I believe contributes to our lack of significant injuries.

Of course, a lot of the aspects of injuries are uncontrollable for clubs, but perhaps those little things I see Richmond do contributes to our low injury rate.

The average age of lists and even games rank mean little in isolation, especially as lists don't take to the field. What's more important is the 22 that takes to the field.

In the preliminary final West Coast had 11 players with 150 games or more. That's half the side. Melbourne had 5. That's less than a quarter of the side.

Across the 22 WC were 18 months older and had on average 25 games more experience, i.e. 550 more games.

Happy to help. Again.
This is the point. There’s no point anyone arguing Melbourne weren’t a young inexperienced side last year. Barley anyone had played a final before last year.

Back