Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood or Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Richmond

Votes: 196 38.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 157 30.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 56 11.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On BF you will always be trolled by opposition supporters, and they will always find something. If you went through the season undefeated people would claim you're potentially weak under pressure when challenged.
An impartial poster (Catsnlakers) explains why he thinks there are two dominant teams heading into 2019 and neither of them are Melbourne or Richmond, and he's trolling Melbourne and Richmond supporters?

That is BigFooty to a tee...

Given West Coast have backed up and won the flag, I think they have every right to be excused for their 2017 finals performance. Melbourne do the same in 2019, and we'll all excuse you for 2018.

As a Collingwood supporter, I just can't see it happening. Melbourne and Richmond hold no fears for us - I can't see either of them getting in the way of a flag tilt for the Pies in 2019.

It is West Coast, GWS and one or two other bolters from the pack (whether they be Essendon, Doggies, Adelaide or others) that we would be concerned about.
I don't think Melbourne will win the flag in 2019.

But from 2020 I think we'll fear no other sides.

An impartial poster (Catsnlakers) explains why he thinks there are two dominant teams heading into 2019 and neither of them are Melbourne or Richmond, and he's trolling Melbourne and Richmond supporters?

He's entitled to his opinion, but it's not lore.

I'd be a bit more more concerned about the Pies than the Demons.

To me the Demons are following a predictable path for a young talented team on the way up. Constantly improving and filling holes in their list as they go.

The Pies played great footy last year and at a higher level. The small concern I'd have is I cant really see where the huge difference from 2017 came from. That doesn't mean you wont win the flag next year, but it does make me a little less confident predicting you'll be serious contenders.

To me the Demons are following a predictable path for a young talented team on the way up. Constantly improving and filling holes in their list as they go.

The Pies played great footy last year and at a higher level. The small concern I'd have is I cant really see where the huge difference from 2017 came from. That doesn't mean you wont win the flag next year, but it does make me a little less confident predicting you'll be serious contenders.
I tend to agree.

When one looks at Collingwood's list profile their talls in defence look pedestrian and their tall forwards inspire little confidence to week-in week-out challenge the opposition. Everywhere else is top notch.

I think the other teams in this thread, including your own team, have better balanced lists with less holes across the field.

That said, they may be able to cover those deficiencies.

Last edited:
In the last 60 years since 1959 Collingwood have been in the second most grand finals with 16. 2 win 2 draws and 12 losses. Hawthorn have been in the most 19!!

Not sure how you got your short period from. Also since World War II Collingwood have been bar far the most watch club in VFL/AFL history by over 5 million people. Essendon are second just in front of Carlton then Richmond .Not sure where your minnow club that you think Collingwood are comes from. Also in 2018 we were the most popular Victorian club according to Roy Morgan Research Poll and most popular afl club on social media.

You wish Collingwood was a minnow club but in fact we are a national football club with supporters all around the country. Something that Richmond wish they had
Not last year, Tigers were number 1 for the most popular club on social media in the Roy Morgan Poll. Now the PIes are also 20k behind Richmond in membership numbers for 2019, despite finishing higher on the ladder.

No, it's not lore, but neither is it trolling.

It's disgraceful when posters get accused of trolling simply because they have a different opinion, and there should be more repercussions for it.

Should I call you out for trolling against Collingwood?

No, I didn't think so...
I didn't call any individual poster for trolling though. It was a general comment. For what it's worth I think Catsnlakers is a quality poster, and I haven't said anything different.

That's amazing but it's an opinion.

I don't fear Collingwood as an opponent in 2019, out of the 3 opponents listed in this thread Collingwood would be the one I'd prefer Melbourne to play.

Outside of your midfield you have a team that can really be taken advantage of at either end of the ground and I think we've got the defense and forward line to do so.

Outside of your midfield you have a team that can really be taken advantage of at either end of the ground and I think we've got the defense and forward line to do so.
Yep. Tom Macdonald got a hold of our backline in the Queens Birthday game and Jack Riewoldt got a hold of us in the Prelim and on neither occasion did either team get within 6 goals of us.

I expect the half dozen forwards we have on our list that are each capable of kicking 30 plus goals in addition to the 19 players we had rotate through our backline in 2018, we have most bases covered in 2019.

Yep. Tom Macdonald got a hold of our backline in the Queens Birthday game and Jack Riewoldt got a hold of us in the Prelim and on neither occasion did either team get within 6 goals of us.

I expect the half dozen forwards we have on our list that are each capable of kicking 30 plus goals in addition to the 19 players we had rotate through our backline in 2018, we have most bases covered in 2019.

Oh right I forgot you're part of the one game means everything fapfest, that's my bad.

Oh right I forgot you're part of the one game means everything fapfest, that's my bad.
I don't think anybody has said it means "everything". But for me at least, when the thread topic is about the four teams who played off for a GF spot, & there was two clear winners, that provides the most relevant measuring stick for 2019 IMO ( everybody is entitled to one ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one of those games was against Melbourne, hence one game fapfest.
Do we need to go back to Collingwood's previous encounter against Melbourne, round 23 2017?

Or would you prefer we referenced games when the likes of Melbourne and Richmond looked a million dollars when beating up on inferior opposition who weren't contending for the flag?

I don't think Melbourne will win the flag in 2019.

But from 2020 I think we'll fear no other sides.
Fair call, I see the Dees atm very similar to my club in 2004 still very young who had some great wins and made it to a Prelim.... I think you will go very close to that again next year, my thoughts are you will be around the same mark, just off the top 2 sides, but from there you seem as likely as anyone to win it....It will all depend then if the premiership drought plays a part or if it doesn't!

I've been silently lurking and reading this thread, but haven't posted until now because I'm struggling to separate these 4 teams once I put bias aside (with great difficulty)

1) Richmond- Lynch was a huge get, and they've landed an easier draw. Lost some depth in the off-season so if they have an average or worse than average year in terms of injuries, that would set them back. My pick for minor premiers again.

2) Collingwood- Roughhead and Beams were good acquisitions in the off-season. Sure they have a tougher draw than 2018, but I expect the heartbreak of 2018 to drive them.

3) Melbourne- Hogan was a big loss, but they've been strengthened by May/Preuss. Built a rich run of form in the tail end of 2018 before their PF. Have a slightly tougher draw this year, but will be better for the experience

4) West Coast- will be boosted by the return of Gaff/Sheppard and hopefully Naitanui too later in the year. Lycett is a loss, but Hickey is a serviceable replacement. Our younger/more inexperienced players will be much better off with the extra finals experience and preseason under their belts. Our actually draw is comparable to our 2018 one. Will hunger and dealing with being the hunted rather than hunters get to us? It's also an odd year next year....

GF- Collingwood d. Melbourne

Last edited:

You may beat us next QB too, but there needs to be some historical context to that match. We were thrashed by Collingwood's run and spread. The same thing happened a few weeks later against the Saints.

As they say, you learn more from your mistakes than your victories and we addressed those issues and improved that side of our game greatly late in the year, which is why we were able to beat 4 top eight sides in a row.

We lost by 11 goals to Hawthorn in round 4 and won the semi.

Next year is a whole new entity. In particular, we should be fielding a stronger team with new personnel and young players with another preseason under their belt.

I don't fear Collingwood as an opponent in 2019, out of the 3 opponents listed in this thread Collingwood would be the one I'd prefer Melbourne to play.

Melbourne haven't yet proven anything.

Shouldn't even be in this thread.

West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond, Adelaide.

Pies are not doing too well in BF poll yet the loudest most arrogant poster in here supports the Pies. Funny about that.The most injured club and most bombastic group of supporters in league.They would win those polls -how can you beat two flags since 58.

At Collingwood's two lowest moment's in 1976 and 1999 it was a Richmond man who saved them
If we're going all historical, then Richmond's existence in the VFL/AFL is due to Collingwood.
In 1908, Collingwood initiated the motion that accepted Richmond into the VFL from the VFA. If that hadn't happened, Richmond may have gone the way of now extinct VFA clubs like Brighton and Northcote.
No need to thank us -we just go about our good deeds quietly.

Just to make a relevant contribution to the thread, I reckon the 2019 ladder will end up:
West Coast
Collingwood
Melbourne
Fremantle
Richmond
then the rest.

I don't think anybody has said it means "everything". But for me at least, when the thread topic is about the four teams who played off for a GF spot, & there was two clear winners, that provides the most relevant measuring stick for 2019 IMO ( everybody is entitled to one ).

Have you not followed this thread? This entire thread has been Collingwood supporters fapping over their preliminary final like it's the only game they played last season.

Do we need to go back to Collingwood's previous encounter against Melbourne, round 23 2017?

Or would you prefer we referenced games when the likes of Melbourne and Richmond looked a million dollars when beating up on inferior opposition who weren't contending for the flag?

I wouldn't call the reigning premiers at Domain or Giants inferior opponents who weren't contending for a flag but I'm not an arrogant flog like yourself.

Melbourne haven't yet proven anything.

Shouldn't even be in this thread.

West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond, Adelaide.

West Coast and Melbourne aren't in this thread, it's just you Collingwood potatoes pulling yourselves silly.

I agree West Coast were the better team but you seem to forget that Collingwood did kick the first 2 goals into a minute of the last quarter and pretty much lead right up until the last minute and a half but did some really stupid things near the end that ended up costing them the match. So I actually believe a few Pie players did choke in the end.

The only reason Collingwood held that last quarter lead for as long as they did though was because West Coast missed a few fairly regulation shots on goal up until Sheed’s goal. It’s funny, for all of the talk of Collingwood “choking” I’d argue West Coast were “choking” more in that last quarter, until Sheed got the ball of course, given the opportunities they had to take the lead and didn’t. That’s far worse to me than simply being outplayed like Collingwood was.

What particular players are you referring to? De Goey staying down and Maynard engaging Rioli? They seem to be the two that cop it for that passage of play. In hindsight, both incorrect decisions but hardly a choke. In De Goey’s case, there was another Collingwood player (can’t remember who) in the contest already. One up, one down is pretty common in footy. If that ball drops De Goey’s the only one on the ground. As for Maynard, I can only assume he didn’t see Sheed coming across and assumed that the contest was just going to be vs Rioli, so decided to engage Rioli instead. Not sure who was on Sheed, but Collingwood’s structure broke down once Langdon lost his feet in the contest vs Ryan. Ryan’s able to play-on quickly and not go back over the mark/be held up enough for someone to slide across to cover Sheed as per normal. In hindsight, the wrong call from Maynard, he should have made a beeline for the drop of the ball instead (which Rioli did a reasonable job in covering anyway), it’s hardly a howler or a bad decision, especially if he didn’t realise Sheed was coming across. Wrong decisions, particularly if there’s some logic behind the decision, doesn’t necessarily equal choke. The litmus test for me is would we be talking about it if these contests happened halfway through the second quarter? I think not.

I actually don’t think our 2017 and 2018 performances are as far apart as they might seem on the surface. Our year in 2017 was characterised by generally pretty good performances against the top teams, dropping the ball completely and regularly against other middling teams (psychological issue perhaps?) but still being good enough to knock off the bottom teams. Our issue was not being able to beat those teams around/just above us on the ladder. What mostly changed was those performances we were putting in against the 2017 top teams were now being emulated consistently in 2018, resulting in consistent wins against the middling teams and hence finals and top 4. Of course, the team did get better in 2018. Stephenson, Mihocek and Sier came into the team and made an impact while some others got better. My point is that there were enough good performances against good teams in 2017 to suggest that the team wasn’t far off finals (hence why I was firmly in the keep Buckley camp this time last year) but I certainly wasn’t expecting a GF appearance.

The only reason Collingwood held that last quarter lead for as long as they did though was because West Coast missed a few fairly regulation shots on goal up until Sheed’s goal. It’s funny, for all of the talk of Collingwood “choking” I’d argue West Coast were “choking” more in that last quarter, until Sheed got the ball of course, given the opportunities they had to take the lead and didn’t. That’s far worse to me than simply being outplayed like Collingwood was.

What particular players are you referring to? De Goey staying down and Maynard engaging Rioli? They seem to be the two that cop it for that passage of play. In hindsight, both incorrect decisions but hardly a choke. In De Goey’s case, there was another Collingwood player (can’t remember who) in the contest already. One up, one down is pretty common in footy. If that ball drops De Goey’s the only one on the ground. As for Maynard, I can only assume he didn’t see Sheed coming across and assumed that the contest was just going to be vs Rioli, so decided to engage Rioli instead. Not sure who was on Sheed, but Collingwood’s structure broke down once Langdon lost his feet in the contest vs Ryan. Ryan’s able to play-on quickly and not go back over the mark/be held up enough for someone to slide across to cover Sheed as per normal. In hindsight, the wrong call from Maynard, he should have made a beeline for the drop of the ball instead (which Rioli did a reasonable job in covering anyway), it’s hardly a howler or a bad decision, especially if he didn’t realise Sheed was coming across. Wrong decisions, particularly if there’s some logic behind the decision, doesn’t necessarily equal choke. The litmus test for me is would we be talking about it if these contests happened halfway through the second quarter? I think not.

I actually don’t think our 2017 and 2018 performances are as far apart as they might seem on the surface. Our year in 2017 was characterised by generally pretty good performances against the top teams, dropping the ball completely and regularly against other middling teams (psychological issue perhaps?) but still being good enough to knock off the bottom teams. Our issue was not being able to beat those teams around/just above us on the ladder. What mostly changed was those performances we were putting in against the 2017 top teams were now being emulated consistently in 2018, resulting in consistent wins against the middling teams and hence finals and top 4. Of course, the team did get better in 2018. Stephenson, Mihocek and Sier came into the team and made an impact while some others got better. My point is that there were enough good performances against good teams in 2017 to suggest that the team wasn’t far off finals (hence why I was firmly in the keep Buckley camp this time last year) but I certainly wasn’t expecting a GF appearance.
Well, I'm sure you follow your team more closely than I do, so I accept what you say.

9B123A30-B0D7-477F-9F12-6A1B109B51B5.png
Not last year, Tigers were number 1 for the most popular club on social media in the Roy Morgan Poll. Now the PIes are also 20k behind Richmond in membership numbers for 2019, despite finishing higher on the ladder.

2018 Collingwood 660,000 fans to Richmond 487,000 fans

Social media Collingwood are over 100,000 more followers then Richmond. Might want to do a bit more research

Funny thing is I feel the same way about Melbourne

Back