Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood or Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Richmond

Votes: 196 38.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 157 30.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 56 11.0%

• Total voters
So your happy with one acceptable result every 30 years?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2 flags in 40 years. Better than a lot of teams. Go back another 10 years and add another couple more. I’ve seen 2 in my lifetime.
You want pain, talk to a demons supporter or a saints supporter etc.
This is what meatheads don’t realize, the last 37 years are now irrelevant.
And i think your maths is out on the 30 years thing. It’s called google bro. Try and use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Collingwood had a night out in the Prelim but i cant make a case that that puts us past Richmond. With the addition of Lynch I would have the Tiges favorites in 2019 and the Pies need to step up from 2018 where we were flattered a bit by a kind draw to be a top 4 team. Of the 4 teams mentioned in the thread I believe Collingwood will need more improvement that the others to maintain top 4. We still have clear holes in the list.

Hey GC, Happy new year mate.

While I agree we have largely a blue collar looking list I feel you come across as a little pessimistic in your view.

• Because of our game style, we are not so personnel reliant (would've been mid table otherwise, considering injuries lower again)
  • On that list of blue collar workers - there is a lot of versatility i:e there are players that can fill roles of the injured. Again it's not personnel reliant
  • There is huge upside to injury - if we have a better year injury wise we'll have a similar if not more pronounced season ahead.
By pronounced I mean I feel we'll bigger wins i:e more ruthless.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
He's entitled to his opinion, but it's not lore.

I'd be a bit more more concerned about the Pies than the Demons.

To me the Demons are following a predictable path for a young talented team on the way up. Constantly improving and filling holes in their list as they go.

The Pies played great footy last year and at a higher level. The small concern I'd have is I cant really see where the huge difference from 2017 came from. That doesn't mean you wont win the flag next year, but it does make me a little less confident predicting you'll be serious contenders.

Melbourne only has a handful of guys 28 yr and older; Lewis, Jones, Garlett, Hibberd, & Jetta.

And a few more with 100+ games; Melksham, McDonald, May

super young list - if they win the flag in 2019 it'll be pretty daunting for the rest of the competition into the future

Melbourne only has a handful of guys 28 yr and older; Lewis, Jones, Garlett, Hibberd, & Jetta.

And a few more with 100+ games; Melksham, McDonald, May

super young list - if they win the flag in 2019 it'll be pretty daunting for the rest of the competition into the future
It's counter-intuitive but young teams who win the flag tend to drop down the ladder faster than more experienced teams - e..g Bombers 1993, Hawks 2008 and Bulldogs 2016.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
It's counter-intuitive but young teams who win the flag tend to drop down the ladder faster than more experienced teams - e..g Bombers 1993, Hawks 2008 and Bulldogs 2016.
Don't you think the sample size is too small to read too much into those premiership profiles ?

Hawthorn was very young in 2008 being 14 of 16 for average age and 15 from 16 for average games played, so one could argue they won before they were due, hence the lag to 2013 when only 9 players from the 2008 premiership team remained. In other words, the 2008 team wasn't good enough for sustained success. The player depth wasn't there.

The Dogs were 10 of 18 from games played, so more middle of the road from an experienced point of view and they had a great month in the finals.

The Dees are 10 and 13 from the same stats heading into 2019. Still youngish, but in my best 22 for 2019 I count only 5 players with less then 50 games and three of them were mature age recruits, namely, vandenBerg (27), Hannan (25), and Fritsch (22).

The only other two players in my best 22 under 50 games are Weideman (21) entering his 4th year and Spargo (19).

So when you look at the profile it may be a youngish team, but it's becoming quite experienced in the 50-100 game bracket.

Hey GC, Happy new year mate.

While I agree we have largely a blue collar looking list I feel you come across as a little pessimistic in your view.

• Because of our game style, we are not so personnel reliant (would've been mid table otherwise, considering injuries lower again)
  • On that list of blue collar workers - there is a lot of versatility i:e there are players that can fill roles of the injured. Again it's not personnel reliant
  • There is huge upside to injury - if we have a better year injury wise we'll have a similar if not more pronounced season ahead.
By pronounced I mean I feel we'll bigger wins i:e more ruthless.

A midfield of Grundy, Pendelbury, Beams, Sidebottom & Treloar is hardly close to blue collar

Don't you think the sample size is too small to read too much into those premiership profiles ?

Hawthorn was very young in 2008 being 14 of 16 for average age and 15 from 16 for average games played, so one could argue they won before they were due, hence the lag to 2013 when only 9 players from the 2008 premiership team remained. In other words, the 2008 team wasn't good enough for sustained success. The player depth wasn't there.

The Dogs were 10 of 18 from games played, so more middle of the road from an experienced point of view and they had a great month in the finals.

The Dees are 10 and 13 from the same stats heading into 2019. Still youngish, but in my best 22 for 2019 I count only 5 players with less then 50 games and three of them were mature age recruits, namely, vandenBerg (27), Hannan (25), and Fritsch (22).

The only other two players in my best 22 under 50 games are Weideman (21) entering his 4th year and Spargo (19).

So when you look at the profile it may be a youngish team, but it's becoming quite experienced in the 50-100 game bracket.
2 to 3 of Fritsch, Hannan, Vandenberg, Hunt and Stretch would be best 22 as well.

I find the 50 game mark an interesting call tbh. Especially when our two best midfielders (Oliver & Brayshaw) have only just played over that mark

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Id like to think we actually improve this year, lost Lycett and LeCras out of the best 22 but gained Hickey with Sheppard and Gaff coming in after injury and suspension. Oscar Allen, Allen Brander and Waterman will be pushing into the 22 so I think we should be better and improve.

Phillips, Maynard, Langdon, Cox, Dunn, Crisp, Sier
My point is Collingwood have as many stars as almost any team in the league. So to say it is a blue collar team is wrong imo

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
2 to 3 of Fritsch, Hannan, Vandenberg, Hunt and Stretch would be best 22 as well.

I find the 50 game mark an interesting call tbh. Especially when our two best midfielders (Oliver & Brayshaw) have only just played over that mark
I have Fritsch, Hannan, and vandenBerg in my best 22/23 and expect Hunt and Stretch to get games.

I'm actually a Hunt fan. I know his issues, but reckon he can be a weapon if they can get him to smooth aspects of his game. Still plenty of upside for me. And I suspect the club too, as they wouldn't entertain offers for him.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Given West Coast have backed up and won the flag, I think they have every right to be excused for their 2017 finals performance. Melbourne do the same in 2019, and we'll all excuse you for 2018.

As a Collingwood supporter, I just can't see it happening. Melbourne and Richmond hold no fears for us - I can't see either of them getting in the way of a flag tilt for the Pies in 2019.

It is West Coast, GWS and one or two other bolters from the pack (whether they be Essendon, Doggies, Adelaide or others) that we would be concerned about.

The only thing to fear is fear itself, but to not fear leads to overconfidence in regards to your remark not fearing Melbourne and Richmond
Both teams may well get in the way of a flag tilt for the Pies in 2019. hope Bucks doesn't think that way = overconfidence

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The only thing to fear is fear itself, but to not fear leads to overconfidence in regards to your remark not fearing Melbourne and Richmond
Both teams may well get in the way of a flag tilt for the Pies in 2019. hope Bucks doesn't think that way = overconfidence
Good thing I'm not the head coach of Collingwood, hey...

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Good thing I'm not the head coach of Collingwood, hey...

These polls are a bit like the stockmarket, which stocks will increase in value.
Very hard to say when there a lot of human variables involved
Not so simple as X + Y = Z
But fun to banter about anyways
For what it's worn I think anyone of these clubs could finish above or below each other dependant of form, injuries, natural improvement
Good luck to all of them for the coming season

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Collingwood had a night out in the Prelim but i cant make a case that that puts us past Richmond. With the addition of Lynch I would have the Tiges favorites in 2019 and the Pies need to step up from 2018 where we were flattered a bit by a kind draw to be a top 4 team. Of the 4 teams mentioned in the thread I believe Collingwood will need more improvement that the others to maintain top 4. We still have clear holes in the list.

I didn't really believe the coach unrest was the main reason behind our fall after 2012. The team had a long time at the top already and were naturally coming down the other side. From 2006 to 2013 Pies played in 8 finals series in a row, finished top 4 5 out of 6 seasons (07, 09-12) played in 2 GFs for 1 flag. By late 2011 the hawks were already past us, we got lucky in the PF, and that team had run its race.

Buckley did really well in 2012 given his 1st pre season was decimated by injury. We entered round 1 that season with 7 missing from the GF team of 2011. Replaced by 3 debutants (Yagmoor, Paine , Seedsman) 3 who had played < 5 games each( Rounds, Keefe, Sinclair) and Marty Clarke back after 2 years in Ireland. We struggled early then Buckley got them going to win 10 in a row and be on top. More injuries and Jmacs passing derailed the rest of the season but we still made a prelim. Doubt MM would have done any better.

Richmond of 2017-19 are earlier in their trajectory that the Pies of 10-12 so should be better placed to stay up a while.
The case that could be made is Collingwood will have the best midfield in the comp + Grundy to feed them and rack up 20 himself in 2019.
Richmond have a better defence and forward line I'd argue, but the midfield doesnt bat anywhere near as deep as the Pies.

No doubt a very strong midfield but still suspect down forward and up back.

Forward line leading into 2018 was the biggest question mark with Elliott and Fasolo the most likely goal scorers. We now know De Goey, Stephenson, Thomas and WHE all stepped in and kicked 38+ goals each. That has to be franked in 2019. All those small medium forwards had best ever seasons and that sort of thing does not automatically repeat. I have optimism particularly in De Goey and Stevo but the Dogs of 2016 would have seen similar for the likes of Stringer and Dickson etc. None of our goal kickers from 2018 are really established as doing it season after season like a Reiwolt or Breust or Kennedy etc etc.

I think we are less established forward and back that the other teams mentioned so there is more uncertainty about 2018 being a true reflection of the team. We are clearly a chance to finish high but I feel especially Richmond and WCE are more established as bone fide excellent teams

jonbe54

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 18, 2009
Rural paradise
AFL Club
Collingwood
Emerging teams always have that uncertainty factor, last year natural improvement of young players reaching 50 or so games and maturing into a well coordinated unit saw us overcome a fairly significant amount of injuries to our backline that made us play the final series with basically no true key defenders.

Camaraderie and the siege mentally raised our performance both individually and as a team.

The inclusion of Beams should lift our midfield rate but will in turn necessitate some reshuffling.

The challenge will be to maintain the intensity and nurture the remaining kids to get that remaining 5% which saw us come up short in a surprise appearance in the big dance possibly 1 or 2 years before expectations.

Tiger71

?????? King of the Micro ??????
Sep 22, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
This thread should therefore be empty because we can't or shouldn't be using results from 2018 to predict what will happen next year?

Win 1 rare game in what 7 attempts and now pies dont fear the tigers and are now better then us.

God, hope your club holds the same deluded belief. Cant wait fadge for round 2 as ill be going in dry lol

Win 1 rare game in what 7 attempts and now pies dont fear the tigers and are now better then us.

God, hope your club holds the same deluded belief. Cant wait fadge for round 2 as ill be going in dry lol

No, no, no mate, they are trying to re-write history. They’re making a doco on it. The emergence of Buckley “the master coach”. It’s been all smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Richmond supporters dread Collingwood, that’s why they use every thread on their own board and the main board to talk about the Pies. They had a couple of years where they finished above the Pies, the first period of sustained superiority since the 60’s but now it’s come to an unfortunate close.

Back