Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood or Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Richmond

Votes: 196 38.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 157 30.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 99 19.5%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 56 11.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Mason Cox continues his pretty rapid rise as a footballer, then Collingwood will be hard to stop. His finals game against Richmond was extraordinary. He didn't back it up the following week, but with another preseason and a shed load more confidence knowing that he belongs, he could be the player that takes Collingwood all the way. Then again, it may have been just one of those games that he will never repeat.

Lynch will strengthen the tiges no doubt. Wasn't really their glaring weakness in 2018 however.

I feel their mids don't run as deep and their rucks are a concern, who is going to be back up ruck for 2019 ?

So the same Richmond list would have nothing to prove in 2019 either?
Great point. Their desire is done and dusted, they reached their summit a while ago. Just listening to Cotchin on the radio the other day, he was still continuing with the were having fun this preseason, he seemed so carefree about it all. Their not a hugely talented team as it is, 5 / 10 % drop off in intensity and desire, could be enough to tip them over. Still think top 6 with a early exit in September.

The last 3 premiers have been Bulldogs, Richmond and West Coast.

3 teams very few gave a chance of making finals let alone winning the flag.

There is a chance that any of the 18 teams could have a year out of the box and win one from nowhere.

Yes, even Carlton or Gold Coast.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I was with you until Carlton or Gold Coast. :D

If Mason Cox continues his pretty rapid rise as a footballer, then Collingwood will be hard to stop. His finals game against Richmond was extraordinary. He didn't back it up the following week, but with another preseason and a shed load more confidence knowing that he belongs, he could be the player that takes Collingwood all the way. Then again, it may have been just one of those games that he will never repeat.

He’s from another country and has yet to play 50 games. He will look out of place at times, but he is a quick learner.
At the end of 2017 many were calling him a failed experiment.
By end of 2018, he knockers find fault if he is inconsistent.
Most big guys take a while to find their feet, so without 50 games yet, he has tremendous upside.
Even in the GF he learnt and adapted. First half GF a stinker. Second half he gets 6 marks & 2 goals.
A consistently performing Mason Cox is a weapon that (if) happens will be a major boost to the Pies.

Last edited:
He’s from another country and has yet to play 50 games. He will look out of place at times, but he is a quick learner.
Even in the GF he learnt and adapted. First half GF a stinker. Second half he gets 6 marks & 2 goals.
Most big guys take a while to find their feet, so without 50 games yet, he has tremendous upside.
A consistently performing Mason Cox is a weapon that (if) happens will be a major boost to the Pies.
You'd think so, but from a Richmond point of view... I hope not.

It's not irrelevant at all, it counters your "argument" completely.

The Eagles had a bad game against the Giants just like Melbourne had against the Eagles.
Dees are not the eagles, the Dees will not win a premiership the year after getting rear ended in a prelim. You keep referring to this as measure. It anit happening, the eagles have a awesome home ground advantage, the Dees do not. The Eagles are consistently winning team over a long period of time, the Dees are a consistently disappointing team over a long period of time. Dez you just don't get it.

Great point. Their desire is done and dusted, they reached their summit a while ago. Just listening to Cotchin on the radio the other day, he was still continuing with the were having fun this preseason, he seemed so carefree about it all. Their not a hugely talented team as it is, 5 / 10 % drop off in intensity and desire, could be enough to tip them over. Still think top 6 with a early exit in September.
We have a better backline and forward line than Collingwood. Your midfield is better. Overall we are stronger.

Cheers

You lose the midfield, you lose the game.
Haha tell Melbourne fans that. They dominated a lot of games in the midfield that they lost last year.

I’m not too worried about our midfield either. Two Brownlow medalists, multiple AAs and BNF winners, a Norm Smith medal and a few premierships. I think we’ll be fine. Thanks for the concern though x

Haha tell Melbourne fans that. They dominated a lot of games in the midfield that they lost last year.

I’m not too worried about our midfield either. Two Brownlow medalists, multiple AAs and BNF winners, a Norm Smith medal and a few premierships. I think we’ll be fine. Thanks for the concern though x
Yep. We smashed Geelong at Kardinia Park in the midfield only to lose by the last kick of the day and we smashed Port's midfield at the Adelaide Oval only to lose the game.

You'll generally win, but if you're poor in other areas of the ground it's not guaranteed.

Dees are not the eagles, the Dees will not win a premiership the year after getting rear ended in a prelim. You keep referring to this as measure. It anit happening, the eagles have a awesome home ground advantage, the Dees do not. The Eagles are consistently winning team over a long period of time, the Dees are a consistently disappointing team over a long period of time. Dez you just don't get it.

Nah we'll be fine.

Yep. We smashed Geelong at Kardinia Park in the midfield only to lose by the last kick of the day and we smashed Port's midfield at the Adelaide Oval only to lose the game.

You'll generally win, but if you're poor in other areas of the ground it's not guaranteed.
St Kilda as well. Even the Freo game, you ended up winning by 50 odd but it should’ve been around 120 to reflect your utter dominance in the middle. A good side would’ve punished your inefficiency that day. I think you’ll sort it out this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon or St Kilda fit the profile of being teams that can suddenly become contenders IMO.

You just need to be able to put it all together for one season (or one part of the season in Bulldogs’ case) to launch yourself in contention.

Correct, I mean how many picked us for the flag in 2018? Only demondavey and he was roundly mocked - even on our own board - for daring to suggest we were a shot at the flag.

I think people overestimate the need for a superstar midfield or the right age/games played mix or key position players etc. Don't get me wrong, having all three of them is very nice and definitely helps, but the right tactics seem to matter more than the right players nowadays.

St Kilda as well. Even the Freo game, you ended up winning by 50 odd but it should’ve been around 120 to reflect your utter dominance in the middle. A good side would’ve punished your inefficiency that day. I think you’ll sort it out this year.
Even in the Elimination final against Geelong it was a 10 goal victory masquerading as a 4 goal one, because of kicking something like 10 points in a row and poor delivery inside 50.

Even in the Elimination final against Geelong it was a 10 goal victory masquerading as a 4 goal one, because of kicking something like 10 points in a row and poor delivery inside 50.
Yep. Winning the midfield battle means nothing if you can’t capitalise.

Interesting that after we just won the flag we backed up by being clear 2 games at the end of the home n away season, I’d say that would indicate the desire is still there.
Not hugely talented but still rated the best defence, best fwd line and 2nd best midfield behind your mob, that would indicate its fairly talented I’d imagine?

You’re beyond repair doppleganger. One wonders what you’ll think when our pressure remains the same despite Lynch coming into the side.
Have to give you props for at least having a crack at some analysis.

I am confident it won’t, it goes in waves. Tigers are no longer hunting sides, the desire will slip marginally...it happens to all successful sides.

Also because of a change in personnel the Tigers will also have to evolve their game plan.

But again they are views formed from studying teams and stats over the journey. Nowhere near as developed as on a couple of Tigers just backing in their eye!

That is the beauty of the eye...doesn’t matter that your ‘eyes’ are disagreeing with each other, you both know you are right and that is all that matters!

Pies remind me of Fremantle 2013. Their peak will be falling short in a Grand Final. Dees will go right past them this year. Tipping a Richmond vs Melbourne Grand Final. Should be a cracker.

Doubt it
Those who were predicting us to drop last year were using that as one of their reasons. Didn't seem to affect us too much. We haven't achieved anything more in the last 12 months - and if they're anything like me, they're far hungrier than this time last year.
Being relaxed and carefree has been a major part of our success in the last 2 years. There's a good video floating around with Cotchin discussing the GF parade and how, when posing with Walker and the cup in front of the crowd, he intentionally hung on to the cup longer than Walker, causing a little awkward pause. The entire team was laughing as from memory they knew what he was doing. This is under 24hrs out from the biggest game the club had played in for decades. I reckon being a bit chilled in February is OK.

Played our best footy at the end of the year playing 6/6/6. Watch some games rather than go off stats mate.
I watched a lot of Melbourne games last year as they are my second favourite team, well not really though I did buy a
membership as a tribute to Stynes and Wight. I found it odd that you had your fewest possessions for the year in the
semi-final win over Hawthorn (335) and that you scored over 100 points an amazing 15 times for the year even
though 12 of those times were against non top eight teams. 3 of those games did come in your last six rounds so
you did beat some fellow contenders late. I guess it's hard being the biggest conceding team in the top eight, but
that does come down to your age demographic a lot. No one really knows how the changes will impact games this
year, but I think it's fair to say most teams adjusted their games a little after the crisis meeting mid year last year.

I guess it's hard being the biggest conceding team in the top eight, but that does come down to your age demographic a lot.
We improved our defence by 192 points from 2017 to 2018 across the 22 rounds.

We were less than 100 points behind the 4th best defence in 2018 (about 4 points per game) and less that 200 points behind the best defence.

We'll have a better defence again in 2019.

Back