Prediction Who will finish higher in 2019 - Western Bulldogs, Port Adelaide or North Melbourne?

Who will finish higher?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polec and Hall are great inclusions for North. Port better hope they finish higher, they threw the kitchen sink at players in 2017, so if they drop, there will be hell to pay. And the Dogs, I have no idea. They could finish top 4 or bottom 4 for all I know.

North for me. Were in finals contention last year with a supposed wooden spoon team, and Polec and Hall both have potential to be elite on their day. A lot has to go right, but if it does, don't count them out of a flag chance (Yeah I said it). Brown will stamp himself as the best FF in the comp in 2019.

Dogs comfortably have the most upside of the three i think but they are still a few years away from reaching it.

I have Dogs finishing just ahead of North and Port in third. Really excited to see that Dogs midfield this year, one of the most exciting in the comp.

North will push for finals, they have added a couple of good players and they just need to get on a run, though I wouldnt have them in my 8.

Western bulldogs I have anywhere from 10th to 14th but if someone told me they would push for the last finals spot I wouldn't fall off my chair.

Port have lost quality and broke the bank bringing in middling players last year. I'm sure they will be hoping their 3 top end draft picks this year can make an impact this year. Will be battling Carlton for the spoon.
Gold Coast ?

Should be us comfortably. Polec, Hall, Tyson and Pittard are all good inclusions in a comp where depth is vital. Port and Dogs went backwards during trade period. We took a decent step forward.

Our youth is underrated as well. Plenty of immediate upside through Ahern, Simpkin, Walker, LDU, Tarryn Thomas and Vickers-Willis.

And for all the hype around Harry McKay, he'll be the #1 target up forward in a team that is diabolical offensively. Ben McKay playing behind Tarrant and Thompson is far more likely to have an impact in 2019.

Should be us comfortably. Polec, Hall, Tyson and Pittard are all good inclusions in a comp where depth is vital. Port and Dogs went backwards during trade period. We took a decent step forward.

Our youth is underrated as well. Plenty of immediate upside through Ahern, Simpkin, Walker, LDU, Tarryn Thomas and Vickers-Willis.

And for all the hype around Harry McKay, he'll be the #1 target up forward in a team that is diabolical offensively. Ben McKay playing behind Tarrant and Thompson is far more likely to have an impact in 2019.
I'm not tipping Dogs to finish above the other two, but in what way did the Dogs go backwards in trade period?

We lost Dahlhaus who has been dogshit since 2016 and was no longer best 22.
We lost Adams who is best 22 when fit, but only played a third of all games available in the last few years because of being permanently injured, so was no major loss.
We lost Roughead who was no longer best 22, as he is behind Trengove, English and Boyd as a ruck, then behind Morris, Cordy, Naughton and Trengove as a KPD.

All 3 of those guys are not part of our expected best 22.

We gained Lloyd who adds goalkicking ability to our side, which was desperately needed, as well as putting added competition into our midfield spots.
We gained Duryea who adds vital on-field leadership which we've been lacking due to a combination of having such a young squad, and our experienced players being injured.

As far as I see it, we lose 2 players outside our best 22, and 1 who occasionally features, then gained 2 players who should slot into our 22. I don't see how our list has gone backwards during trade period?

I'm not tipping Dogs to finish above the other two, but in what way did the Dogs go backwards in trade period?

We lost Dahlhaus who has been dogshit since 2016 and was no longer best 22.
We lost Adams who is best 22 when fit, but only played a third of all games available in the last few years because of being permanently injured, so was no major loss.
We lost Roughead who was no longer best 22, as he is behind Trengove, English and Boyd as a ruck, then behind Morris, Cordy, Naughton and Trengove as a KPD.

All 3 of those guys are not part of our expected best 22.

We gained Lloyd who adds goalkicking ability to our side, which was desperately needed, as well as putting added competition into our midfield spots.
We gained Duryea who adds vital on-field leadership which we've been lacking due to a combination of having such a young squad, and our experienced players being injured.

As far as I see it, we lose 2 players outside our best 22, and 1 who occasionally features, then gained 2 players who should slot into our 22. I don't see how our list has gone backwards during trade period?

Sorry mate but that's delusional. Dahlhaus on his worst day is better than Lloyd on his best. Even in his 'dogshit' last few years.

And Duryea is a fringe back pocket who looked good when surrounded by Hawthorn's premiership-winning defence, but has been badly exposed in the last few years. Nobody wanted him as a FA and he was traded for a 4th rounder.

Port have the best list of the group so they should. Whether the coaching department is up to it, I think Port fans are even unsure about that.

I’m offended that someone even saw fit to create a thread with us lumped in with those two sh!t trucks! ;)

But seriously, I see Bulldogs being fairly similar to where they were last year.

Port will be a bit worse than last year but finish about the same spot on the ladder because they should’ve played finals last year.

And I think we’ll be about a 3 goal better team this year, so around 5-6th but a smoky for top 4.

End of the day, really don’t know who will finish higher, but do know I expect North to play finals and will be very disappointed if we don’t.

The turnaround from 2017 is frankly amazing. Thought we'd be languishing in the dregs for a few years, but the team dug its heels in and made 2018 a surprise package.

We let go of the dead weight in our list, dramatically, not many I disagree with in terms of delistings, especially with the new additions; I'm big on Tyson, Hall, Polec, all elite in their respective roles when they're white hot. Polec especially in his consistency.

Our new injected youth has shown alot of promise, our second years are turning it up quickly. We got a nice balance of old vets with grunt and consistency, with new blood coming in that has loads of promise; Dumont, Ahern, Bailey Scott, Thomas, LDU, Walker, McKay, Simpkin, Zurhaar etc. Any moment this season can be theirs to take the brass ring.

So clearly I'm very bullish about how much better we'll do this year than the past 2. Ports basically fallen off a cliff big time, they've lost some great players but they're not completely out of it. Dogs are still quite young all around, but they have some surprising moments.

North > Power > Dogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North's additions over the off season are probably the most impressive of the three so on paper North would be ahead.

Bulldogs were putrid for most of the year and were incredibly young so have in-group improvement which is far harder to gauge and is generally more inconsistent. We did seem to play much better late in the season when Dunkley went into the middle which released Bonti to play more outside (his contested numbers fell from 50% to 33% late in the year, coinciding with us playing our best football).

Port receive an instant boost with Lycett but I'm not sure where else they improve. They already had one of the statistically most effective defences last year so adding Burton may not be as big a deal as some suggest.

With port’s plodding midfield and hopeless kicking skills, we would be mad to play burton in defence

But we will

With port’s plodding midfield and hopeless kicking skills, we would be mad to play burton in defence

But we will
Your side actually seems fairly balanced outside your snail-paced midfield. Some outside legs would do you guys wonders. I know everyone seems to be writing you lot off (fans included) after the loss of Polec and Wingard, but adding in Lycett and Burton offsets that a lot imo.

Having a quality ruck like Lycett come along means Dixon and Westhoff are wasting less time in the ruck which will be huge for your forward line especially. I'm still tipping Port for a 7-11 range finish

Your side actually seems fairly balanced outside your snail-paced midfield. Some outside legs would do you guys wonders. I know everyone seems to be writing you lot off (fans included) after the loss of Polec and Wingard, but adding in Lycett and Burton offsets that a lot imo.

Having a quality ruck like Lycett come along means Dixon and Westhoff are wasting less time in the ruck which will be huge for your forward line especially. I'm still tipping Port for a 7-11 range finish

We definitely have a pace issue but we also have an attitude problem

Port have the best list of the group so they should. Whether the coaching department is up to it, I think Port fans are even unsure about that.
If it were just coaching then adding Schofield and Montgomery should help remedy that.
And last year playing the one ruck all year was a problem, Lycett should help that.
Alas our problem of not enough pace has gone even further backwards. Predicting we will lose a handful of games that we play well for all but 15 mins and the opposition will pile on 6-7 goals in that time.

I’m not sure any of these teams make finals next year, although there’s always a couple of surprises so maybe North jump in.

I think Port are in trouble, their list is worse than last year and a bad start to the season could easily see Hinckley as the coach the media latch on to for their annual lynching.

As ever, injuries will play a massive part but my guess is North, Bulldogs, Port.

North, but I will not be at all shocked to see the Dogs in eighth come finals time. Port, hmmm, I just don't thunk Hinkley is the man for them.

They'll miss Polly and Wingard hard too. Wouldn't be surprised to see them bottom four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back