Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isaac Cumming No 1

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
GWS
The thing about Shiel (and yes, I'll once again highlight that I wanted him at Hawthorn, and that Hawthorn wanted him at Hawthorn) is that he looks a lot better than he is.

The dude looks like an absolute weapon. He looks really really good - strong build, really quick. Burst out of packs and looks a million bucks - and now he's being paid a million bucks.

But he was behind Ward, Kelly, Cognilio in that midfield at GWS.

Like Tom Mitchell and Josh Kennedy before him, I think he'll rise with added responsibility - but I don't think he will be the saviour of their middle-of-the-road midfield. he'll improve it, no doubt, but don't think he is good enough to launch them into top 4 contention.
I dont think he's exactly like the others. He really is quick in legspeed and in reflexes. He does the inside grunt work well but people tend to remember the flashy things. I dont agree he was necessarily behind Ward, Cogniglio and Kelly. You could make a case though. Ward has probably been our MVP over the last 7 years.

That misconception stems from his 2015 breakout year I think. In a developing team he was licenced to shake and bake the man on the mark and weave through traffic in the corridor orgainising the orange tsunami. To me that gameplan is very risky and unsustainable sadly.

As we became more serious about contending you see a lot less of that from 2016.

The Bombers likewise were a real run and gun side the last couple of years. I think they'll also become more staid and defensive to win consistently.

Holy Rioli

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
If he lines up I’ll have to drop the percentages down to about 37% of the starting 22 who play for Hawthorn in 2019 will be 30 plus.
That’s a bit easier to digest l suppose.
but McEvoy will still be 29 in R1 - so maybe you need to adjust it yet again?

Holy Rioli

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Pretty valid point about how much you rely on him and JOM though. One goes down, the other cops a knock and well you saw what happened.

If I was a Hawthorn supporter I would be concerned about how much reliance there is on those two.
And now we have Scully, Wingard and Worpedo to help out now, along with the likes of Shiels, Smith, Howe etc. Starting to get a deeper midfield that is better than most in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

markm106

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wouldn't have changed the result, Melbourne were plodding along and still kept Hawthorn at arms length and pushed Hawthorn back when they tried to get close.
Agree with this. In preliminary final week there was a bit of criticism about how Melbourne played v the hawks. But we still won comfortably in the end.

threesixpio

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I like how you accuse the Essendon supporters of being triggered but you're clearly the one who has been triggered.
You got me. It was really rough watching that low level of footy. Thank f*** for Pies, Tiges and WC. Footy was at a great level with their games

Top Bottom