Prediction Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Essendon, Adelaide or Hawthorn

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the slightest bit embarsassed.
Every Hawk going around would include Birchall and Hendo in their starting 22. As that head****ed moderator Abasi said, Birchall is only in for a clean up. Hendo played just about every game in 2018 so he's a definite old codger in 2019.
Let me reiterate, over 40% of your best 22 will be playing football in 2019 at 30 plus which includes bog boy.
It's not hard really to understand.

Der. Even if you include them all it's still not 40%. It's twice as embarrassing that you don't find it embarrassing.

The thing about Shiel (and yes, I'll once again highlight that I wanted him at Hawthorn, and that Hawthorn wanted him at Hawthorn) is that he looks a lot better than he is.

The dude looks like an absolute weapon. He looks really really good - strong build, really quick. Burst out of packs and looks a million bucks - and now he's being paid a million bucks.

But he was behind Ward, Kelly, Cognilio in that midfield at GWS.

Like Tom Mitchell and Josh Kennedy before him, I think he'll rise with added responsibility - but I don't think he will be the saviour of their middle-of-the-road midfield. he'll improve it, no doubt, but don't think he is good enough to launch them into top 4 contention.
Shiel ain’t no Tom Mitchell.

And he cost way more too

Lulza

The thing about Shiel (and yes, I'll once again highlight that I wanted him at Hawthorn, and that Hawthorn wanted him at Hawthorn) is that he looks a lot better than he is.

The dude looks like an absolute weapon. He looks really really good - strong build, really quick. Burst out of packs and looks a million bucks - and now he's being paid a million bucks.

Like Tom Mitchell and Josh Kennedy before him, I think he'll rise with added responsibility - but I don't think he will be the saviour of their middle-of-the-road midfield. he'll improve it, no doubt, but don't think he is good enough to launch them into top 4 contention.
I think there is a bit of truth to what you said but there is no shame in being behind Ward, Kelly and Coniglio. All three are incredible footballers.

Der. Even if you include them all it's still not 40%. It's twice as embarrassing that you don't find it embarrassing.
Dear Carl- I think you have thrice embarrassed yourself. 9/22 = more than 40%
I'll make it easier to understand your thriceness.
These are the Hawks who will be playing in 2019 aged 30 plus, and who are in your best 22.

Shaun Burgoyne
Jarryd Roughead
James Frawley
Grant Birchall
Ricky Henderson
Paul Puopolo
Ben Stratton
Isaac Smith
Ben McEvoy

Last edited:
And yet you are allowed to chuck in Birch? You’re changing the rules to suit yourself.
Now don't get serious on us all. Your astute moderator Abasi has allayed all fears about Birch. Of course you have to chuck him in.
Sculls, well he only played 1 game this year, no games for Hawthorn, very serious ankle injury, unlikely to play in 2019. So yea.

Watch Shiel improve like Smith did when he’s played in his preferred position.

Watch Merret explode as he continues to improve and Shiel takes some of the attention from him.

I can see McGrath having a breakout year, as well as Parish and Langford getting better and better.

Scary really.

Watch Merret explode as he continues to improve and Shiel takes some of the attention from him.

I can see McGrath having a breakout year, as well as Parish and Langford getting better and better.

Scary really.
Then there's Stringer and Hep lurking around to help out in case they cop a bit of unsociable stuff in the middle.

Scary really.
Geezus - you don't mind hyperbole do ya?

Smith improved a lot but still - couldn't cut the AA team so he's not in that upper bracket of midfielders yet.
Merrett is a ripper. Explosions are rare.
McGrath needs to have a breakout year. A number 1 draft pick needs to be leading the team and being good enough to build a midfield (or forward line or backline) around.

Also very rare to have three players suddenly become significantly better in a single season, but if you're expecting that to happen it's makes sense as to why you think Essendon will finish pretty high.

Now don't get serious on us all. Your astute moderator Abasi has allayed all fears about Birch. Of course you have to chuck him in.
Sculls, well he only played 1 game this year, no games for Hawthorn, very serious ankle injury, unlikely to play in 2019. So yea.
596703_c01b231c12bbd0ea8c8ca641af2705b5.png

Geezus - you don't mind hyperbole do ya?

Smith improved a lot but still - couldn't cut the AA team so he's not in that upper bracket of midfielders yet.
Merrett is a ripper. Explosions are rare.
McGrath needs to have a breakout year. A number 1 draft pick needs to be leading the team and being good enough to build a midfield (or forward line or backline) around.

Also very rare to have three players suddenly become significantly better in a single season, but if you're expecting that to happen it's makes sense as to why you think Essendon will finish pretty high.
I would think it’s prtty reasonable to expect significant improvement from at least three of those players. Aside from Shiel they are all 20-23 (Merrett only just turned 23). Shiel wasn’t able to play in his preferred position last year because as you say he was behind some very good players at gws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks staged to me. Is there video of him running?
Probably, but I don't have it. Can't believe we got him for a future 4th rounder.

Think there might be some people eating humble pie if he lines up R1 for us.

Scary really.
Also Max, our midfield brigade is not required to play 100 minutes of football because of the spread in capability.
It stands to reason that Tom Mitchell played injured in the finals because he was on the ground for nearly 100% of the time all season.
It would be wise of Hawthorn to ease up on Mitch, although giving him less game time exposes the shallowness of the list in the midfield. It’s a real dilemma for the their coaches.

Also Max, our midfield brigade is not required to play 100 minutes of football because of the spread in capability.
It stands to reason that Tom Mitchell played injured in the finals because he was on the ground for nearly 100% of the time all season.
It would be wise of Hawthorn to ease up on Mitch, although giving him less game time exposes the shallowness of the list in the midfield. It’s a real dilemma for the their coaches.
What the actual *?

Tom Mitchell got injured as a result of an impact injury. Was just unlucky it happened in the 1st quarter of a knock out final.

What the actual ****?

Tom Mitchell got injured as a result of an impact injury. Was just unlucky it happened in the 1st quarter of a knock out final.
Pretty valid point about how much you rely on him and JOM though. One goes down, the other cops a knock and well you saw what happened.

If I was a Hawthorn supporter I would be concerned about how much reliance there is on those two.

Probably, but I don't have it. Can't believe we got him for a future 4th rounder.

Think there might be some people eating humble pie if he lines up R1 for us.
Definitely true but I’d say you’re jumping the gun just slightly saying he’ll be ready based on a picture of him jogging.

The excitement you show at him being able to jog probably belies how concerned you actually are about his fitness.

Scary really.
:rolleyes:Dunno about preferred position for Shiel

:D I can see the advantages of hanging a hand-ball off the contest. Less bruising for a start.

Back