Prediction Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Essendon, Adelaide or Hawthorn

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm expecting a brief rally early doors, then we're likely to see the capitulation as reality takes its toll. Bottom 4 as you say is a distinct possibility.
Let's face it, Mitchell going down means an Essendon v Hawks game will see Jaegar exposed to the hard stuff and we saw how Big Red put him away, plus you can throw in Parish or Hepps to keep him quiet which frees up Zak, Shiel and Smithy to run rampant.
There's every chance essendon will still be beaten by hawthorn

Every chance

I had Hawthorn 12th with Mitchell. I'll now have to reassess.

There's more chance of James Hird getting from A to B on his push bike unscathed than Hawthorn playing finals in 2019.

Unfortunately, there's a ripple effect. In the case of Melbourne, we'd be sending James Harmes to Mitchell, but now he goes to the next best perceived threat. So you're not just losing your best mid, your next best mid will also be nullified by many teams. Across a 22 game season it will take its toll.
Should Hawthorn make finals and posters want to revisit this post should they tag Hannabal or Trav 20 ? Maybe both?

Last edited:

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pretty awkward spot for the Hawks now , some players are irreplaceable I don't care what anyone says
If Mitchell's injury is the straw that breaks the back of their flag chances what is the point of playing all the veterans to scrap into the 8
Hard for such a proud club to admit but they might be better trying out all their younger players and looking to the future

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You got one thing right in your storey ..... we are extremely proud of the Hawks. The rest is rubbish

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pride is a great thing to have as long as you don't let it get in the way of your future

Since the three peat the Hawks have moved on some of my favourite EVER players ... trust me the Hawks does not let pride get in the way.

Bet you were one of the 000’s preaching, “just wait til Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibbo, Lake, blah blah blah leave the club you will be bottom 4. Hope is a lot different to reality. Hope I win next weeks Powerball jackpot!

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Since the three peat the Hawks have moved on some of my favourite EVER players ... trust me the Hawks does not let pride get in the way.

Bet you were one of the 000’s preaching, “just wait til Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gibbo, Lake, blah blah blah leave the club you will be bottom 4. Hope is a lot different to reality. Hope I win next weeks Powerball jackpot!

You have done very well to stay competitive after the glory days but it is telling that none of the ' dynasty ' teams Hawks , Geelong or Sydney have been able to trade back up to a flag once they were on the downside of their peak

As you point out hope is a lot different to reality

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You have done very well to stay competitive after the glory days but it is telling that none of the ' dynasty ' teams Hawks , Geelong or Sydney have been able to trade back up to a flag once they were on the downside of their peak

As you point out hope is a lot different to reality

A bit harsh and impatience shown towards the Hawks, it’s been 7 years for Swans, 8 for Cats ...... 3 and a bit for Hawks. Hawks three peat is on 4K resolution remember.

Let’s see how it goes next two/three years to make judgement on your theory compared to the transition plan that Hawks/Clarko have in place. If Clarko wins another one as coach start melting and forming that bronze statue for delivery at the G!

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hawks have been attempting to stop the tide coming in.
Have now been hit by a tidal wave.
Destination club may have a new postcode ...

This I concur - 2018 was a fools mirage.

They were out in straight sets, their double ups against Geelong and Sydney (both on the demise as well, Brisbane (yes competitive), Saints and Essendon. No double ups against the other top 3 sides or Melbourne.

The sides they have double ups in 2019 they went 2-5 in 2018 and now lost their best player.

Won’t make finals.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
This I concur - 2018 was a fools mirage.

They were out in straight sets, their double ups against Geelong and Sydney (both on the demise as well, Brisbane (yes competitive), Saints and Essendon. No double ups against the other top 3 sides or Melbourne.

The sides they have double ups in 2019 they went 2-5 in 2018 and now lost their best player.

Won’t make finals.
People always overestimate the loss of a single player. It's horrible news, but from the impact on the team perspective, they at least have the off-season to train new midfield set-ups.

I dont doubt Mitchell's ability but it's been a choice to use him so often as the prime in and under mid at the clearances. Now they have to find a replacement or share it around more.

Could Worpel be the man targeting first hands on the ball at the clearances more in Mitchell's absence?

In any case it's way too soon to write them off.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
People always overestimate the loss of a single player. It's horrible news, but from the impact on the team perspective, they at least have the off-season to train new midfield set-ups.

I dont doubt Mitchell's ability but it's been a choice to use him so often as the prime in and under mid at the clearances. Now they have to find a replacement or share it around more.

Could Worpel be the man targeting first hands on the ball at the clearances more in Mitchell's absence?

In any case it's way too soon to write them off.

And to find the replacement doesn’t happen immediately. It takes time to adjust and therefore Hawks will be at their most vulnerable at the start of the year.

Adelaide didn’t have Brad Crouch for all of 2018 and yet he was an integral part of our 2017 campaign. We adjusted but we weren’t as dominant in contested ball in 2018 as we were in 2017.

You will undoubtedly be competitive (haven’t known Hawthorn never to be that except in 2004) and will adjust eventually but it will sting at the start.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
And to find the replacement doesn’t happen immediately. It takes time to adjust and therefore Hawks will be at their most vulnerable at the start of the year.

Adelaide didn’t have Brad Crouch for all of 2018 and yet he was an integral part of our 2017 campaign. We adjusted but we weren’t as dominant in contested ball in 2018 as we were in 2017.

You will undoubtedly be competitive (haven’t known Hawthorn never to be that except in 2004) and will adjust eventually but it will sting at the start.
I'm not a Hawks supporter but I get it's hard to tell until it's sorted from the upgrade, GWS.

I'm just reluctant to draw too many conclusions until the rubber hits the road. It cant be good for their chances of course.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne: Top 4 - Continue the upward trajectory. Tougher draw but fans are starting to have the faith. May bolsters our area of weakness in defence, and Weideman has been in career best form as of late to take over Hogan's spot.

Hawthorn: Top 8 - Probably somewhere between 3rd and 7th for mine. They're just one of the most consistent teams and solid across most positions. Injuries could prove to be their downfall though.

Adelaide: Between 5th and 12th - One of my predictions for 2019 after seeing just how soft their draw is, is that the Crows will be back into finals contention. In a ladder prediction I've done, I have them 6th. Although similar to Hawthorn injuries could screw them and have them finish as low as around 12th.

Essendon: Between 5th and 12th - On my ladder prediction I have them just missing out on the top 8 on percentage finishing 9th. I'm still not buying into this whole Shiel will be the answer to their problems. Yes they were in a bit of form later in the season, yes they should have a fit Daniher back into their team which will help their scoring abilities. But they'll be battling it out with Pies, Roos, Cats, Swans, Crows, etc in that log jam of teams with similar qualities for the last few spots in the 8. Find it a tad hilarious with some predictions having them top 4 personally. But we'll have to see.

The Mitchell injury has me now thinking Hawks to finish between 8th and 12th. Probably helps Crows and Bombers cement a spot in the 8.

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do you deny that losing a team's best player harms the team's output significantly?

It’s not that simple in a 22 man team sport. Last time Hawks lost their best player the year after they won a premiership!

No doubt Tom will be missed but Clarko and the coaching staff will plan life without him this year and who knows it may significantly work well.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Do you deny that losing a team's best player harms the team's output significantly?
Ex-Hawthorn premiership player Terry Wallace had them 5-8th, but on the back of Mitchell he has them now missing the eight.

I like Wallace, but recognise he has his critics from his Richmond days. I think he's an astute judge, although I doubt they would have played finals anyway.

Last edited:
Back