Preview Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda or Hawthorn

Who will finish higher?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You didn't like the numbers first time around and I don't expect you to like them now. But since you posted a response while I was suspended, it's only fair to point it out when subsequent results support my contention. I really should do it more often.
Mate, I don’t care about the numbers because they don’t mean as much as you think they do.

Actual match play stats >>>>> extrapolated thoughts from player ages

Mate, I don’t care about the numbers because they don’t mean as much as you think they do.

Actual match play stats >>>>> extrapolated thoughts from player ages

Do you think the Hawks can contend in 2019 with this list, plus a few 18yo draftees, less retirements?

Do you think the Hawks can contend in 2019 with this list, plus a few 18yo draftees, less retirements?
No, not with this list, but again, that has less to do with age and more to do with actual output.

No, not with this list, but again, that has less to do with age and more to do with actual output.

Hawthorn's output is no longer commensurate with its age? Agree with that.

Could put up some figures demonstrating the decline in performance when teams drop in age from one season to the next, but you'd just dismiss it.

Hawthorn's output is no longer commensurate with its age? Agree with that.

Could put up some figures demonstrating the decline in performance when teams drop in age from one season to the next, but you'd just dismiss it.
Of course I would, because as I keep saying, age is just a number. It has no strict bearing or impact on game day statistics.

Think both Melbourne and Hawthorn will make finals from here. The ladder finish will be interesting and I reckon Hawthorn are a good chance to finish above us by the end of the H&A season.

Think both Melbourne and Hawthorn will make finals from here. The ladder finish will be interesting and I reckon Hawthorn are a good chance to finish above us by the end of the H&A season.
Won’t be at all surprised to see us knock off the cats and then lose to Saints.

We are 50/50 to make finals, but its been a good effort without BigBoy, Sic and Cyril.

We are 50/50 to make finals, but its been a good effort without BigBoy, Sic and Cyril.
You ain’t losing to the Saints

I think if you guys beat Geelong this week, I'm leaning towards the Hawks winning their remaining two games and finishing in the top 4. I can't see us winning all of our remaining 3 games but I'm hoping we can win at least 2. Hawthorn IMO are more likely to win their 3 remaining games than Melbourne.

If we can't beat Geelong and or Sydney, who themselves are on the fringes of the eight, we wont get far in the finals anyway.

The proviso on that is if BigBoy and Sicily return for finals, we are a more potent team

I think if you guys beat Geelong this week, I'm leaning towards the Hawks winning their remaining two games and finishing in the top 4. I can't see us winning all of our remaining 3 games but I'm hoping we can win at least 2. Hawthorn IMO are more likely to win their 3 remaining games than Melbourne.
It could play out so many ways.

Percentage will be key.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing. :oops::thumbsu:
Not the hottest take in the world, this.

This has been a bit of a s**t year for top teams. Can only really see the Tigers and maybe the Giants being able to compete with 09-11 era Collingwood/Geelong/St Kilda. The Hawthorn threepeat team would have walked this season.

Not the hottest take in the world, this.

This has been a bit of a s**t year for top teams. Can only really see the Tigers and maybe the Giants being able to compete with 09-11 era Collingwood/Geelong/St Kilda. The Hawthorn threepeat team would have walked this season.

Yep I agree it’s not really an overly stong top eight this year. In saying that though if Hawthorn happened to face Richmond in a final, you never know what can happen.

Hawthorn are 7 wins and 2 losses at the MCG this year. If not for a 3rd gamer in Ben Ronke it could’ve easily been 8-1.

Yep I agree it’s not really an overly stong top eight this year. In saying that though if Hawthorn happened to face Richmond in a final, you never know what can happen.

Hawthorn are 7 wins and 2 losses at the MCG this year. If not for a 3rd gamer in Ben Ronke it could’ve easily been 8-1.
I don't think the Hawks have the star power or staying power to give Richmond a shake 9/10 times, same goes for the Dees. Experience could be what gets them over the line, but I wouldn't think it'd be too likely.

Hawks have surprised. I never expected them to be this high up the ladder. Good on them. Clarko still earning his living.

Poll pretty accurate in the end (although Hawthorn were third at the start of the season, and only the late votes once it looked like we might make the 8 and doggies would not got us ahead of the bulldogs).

Statistically Melbourne look like a top 4 side in most measures except games won, but managed to forge a new form of mental fragility. Have gone from losing the ones they should win, to getting into winning positions in games where they are not favourite but then falling over in the last quarter when the pressure is on. Probably progress. Can definitely do some damage in finals, and just being there might give then a new level of confidence. If they can get the mental aspect right, they have a list that are very capable of going a long way in finals.

Amazing turnaround for Clarkson's team, perhaps best chance at coach of the year award yet. Might need to win at least one final to seal it though, as it is hard to give coach of the year to a team which goes out in straight sets, which given the evenness (and likely first week matchup against Tigers) is quite a possible outcome. Make a prelim and he'd be pretty hard to go past, although Simspon and/or Buckley making a GF would make it close.

Seems doggies will be heading in the right direction next year. Still think saints should have done much better. Need a thorough review of the footy department, as list can't surely be as bad as their ladder positions suggests.

Back