Preview Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda or Hawthorn

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by Bazza97, Dec 24, 2017.

Put it out there
?

Who will finish higher?

1. Melbourne

38.3%
  2. Western Bulldogs

21.9%
  3. St Kilda

12.5%
  4. Hawthorn

27.4%
  1. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    If we keep playing like this, at the end of the year we will be asking whether we do have good enough players.

I know its early but tonight isn't a great look. Melbourne exploit many of our positional weaknesses - ruck and midfield. We are lacking in the ruck, and we are lacking in the midfield. It looks like Melbourne's second tier midfield brigade would beat our best guys tonight, and that isn't good enough.

Although I am not a fan of Richo, I am not sure that it is his fault we are losing tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    You would think Gresham absolutely has to play full time midfield. We are getting smashing in there and Gresham is one of the few players we have who can gather the ball cleanly. He is low to the ground, well balanced, and would be an asset in the midfield IMO.

3. Ian Dunross

Ian Dunross Premiership Player

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    Our delivery is atrocious

And our game plan ineffective

4. Ian Dunross

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    We'll finish highest.

Richo is great. Tactically astute.

High standards. No passengers.

5. TheFourPillars

TheFourPillars Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Stangers, Liverpool, 49ers
    Lol

gangsta deluxe likes this.
  6. Abasi

Abasi SUPERSTAR MODERATOR

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Spurs, Socceroos
    The best thing about JLT is trying to work out who is going full throttle and at who is just playing with self preservation in mind, because it looks like most players and clubs cycle through both of these settings throughout each of the games I’ve seen.

THE D and Richo83 like this.
  7. owen87

owen87 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Think tonight is a reasonable indictator where both are at; Melbourne ahead on talent at the moment - particularly through the midfield - while Saints certainly pressured well, made it a contest the whole way through, and looked much better in the second half once they’d adapted their ball use.

I think Melbourne is a chance to land anywhere between 4 and 12 depending on whether they drop some silly games along the way, can see them having the potential to trouble the stronger sides when they’re firing.

Not sure Saints are a top-4 potential, but also wouldn’t say they’re easybeats by any stretch, so could tick over the wins in a fairly even comp that sees them still make the 8.

Dogs are probably somewhere in between; they’ve got some good talent but 2017 showed that means little if the application drops off.

Hawthorn quite an unknown; I wouldn’t expect too much improvement from the older brigade, but being able to get Rioli and Gunston back in the forward line, O’Meara playing regularly and some continued development from the younger players puts them right in the mix for finals still.

8. Substance

Substance Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    High energy, best words.

9. jackenny

jackenny All Australian

Gold Coast
    Other teams:
    If Hunter Clark keeps looking like he's looking, and he gets games, have a hunch he'll win the rising star (or whatever the hell it's called nowadays).

I like him more than Dow atm, and Dow was my first pick for that draft.

10. Gavin Excell

Gavin Excell Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Will select Sam Gilbert r1

11. markm106

markm106 Norm Smith Medallist

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    After his JLT1 showing I wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays again.

00Stinger likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. deathevocation

deathevocation Coffee. Football. Metal.

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
    I think Bulldogs. Hawthorn the odd one out of this list - we are going south while the rest should be going north.

13. Ian Dunross

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    Demons seem a league apart from the other 3 sides

They really could be top 4 material

Not sure the others will make the top 8

00Stinger likes this.
  14. joop

joop Norm Smith Medallist

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Leeds United
    Was good seeing Clark & Coffield in the JLT because now the season is proper Richo will want Gilbert & Weller to play instead.
    The difference between Melbourne’s ball movement to ours was ridiculous. We are going nowhere fast with our current coach.

00Stinger likes this.
  15. owen87

owen87 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I actually thought the Saints looked solid after half time; they lack a ruckman the quality of Gawn and a bit more depth & class through the midfield, but certainly it wasn't a disaster, and I don't think they're that far away from finals. Melbourne are a team that - on paper at least - can give the top 4 a nudge this year, I don't think anyone is expecting the same from the Saints.

Clean up a lot of those F50 entries and suddenly Bruce, McCartin and Membrey are a lot more of a factor. Rushed disposals bombing to the top of the goal square hoping for a contested mark were just constant and predictable for Melbourne's defenders.

16. LeverPuller

LeverPuller BigFooty Tanker

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Newcastle United Seattle Seahawks
    Couldn't believe how quick we were early. It was sensational to watch.

Demonic Ascent and 00Stinger like this.
  17. Brennan Huff

Brennan Huff Debutant

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    We rested our mids forward and on the bench in the third. Our midfield in the third quarter were basically our seconds.

18. TheFourPillars

TheFourPillars Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Stangers, Liverpool, 49ers
    Midfield rotations are a thing those will happen in season as well its about limiting the damage when you have the b team in there

Hunter looks a player

jackenny and Cooksen like this.
  19. Brennan Huff

Brennan Huff Debutant

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    Yeh I thought Hunter did some nice things and looked good.

20. ManOfClay

ManOfClay Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Very rarely will you have a full b team in though at once

00Stinger likes this.
  21. joop

joop Norm Smith Medallist

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Leeds United
    Let’s not kid ourselves, Melbourne completely took their foot off in the 3rd.
    And the issue you mention, bombing into our 50 has been the same problem for 3 years. Our game plan is shit and it gets found out very quickly by any half decent side, except once or twice a year where we will play out of our skins. There has been no improvement in skills, players constantly miss handballs, simple kicks which puts ourselves under pressure and then we are forced to bomb it long. Richo has a terrible plan A and no plan B.

22. owen87

owen87 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Saints changed their ball movement; in the first half they kept trying to handball through the centre - which just didn't work - or resorted to a rushed kick forward. Using the width of the ground better and making smarter decisions tidied up a lot of the issues they were having, but their I50's going forward were pretty woeful throughout, relied on a lot of their smalls to make goals out of nothing.

Also a lot of times you saw them trying to do the 'unselfish' thing to centre the ball, but missing the target or kicking to a contest. Not sure if that's something they've been working on to combat the inaccuracy they had last year, but there was a lot of poor decision making in their forward 50. If they clean that up I think the Saints will be competitive.

That Melbourne have the better midfield talent is pretty clear, it's just ironing out the consistency issues along with those younger guys continuing to develop and they'll be around the mark for a top 4 berth.

Demonic Ascent and PaddysurDaddy like this.
  23. owen87

owen87 Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Sorry only saw this after the reply above; there was a lot of times when players went to centre the ball once they took a mark within range - is this something new this year after the inaccuracy last year?

24. PaddysurDaddy

PaddysurDaddy Club Legend

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    melbourne are looking very nicely balanced, haven't watched WB or Hawks this preseason.

we're gonna want to make some pretty big changes before rd1 if we want to be in finals contention

also, I hope to god we play hunter and coff r1, would prefer they play and we miss finals than playin mav and gilbo and just scraping in. They both look very nice so far, really surprised with hunter's strength in the tackle. He's a stick and looks kinda laconic, yet does explosive things like that close range don't argue with two players hanging off him. I dunno who it was but he dumped him.

And coff is just a pro.

Please damn you richo, do the right thing, play the kids

25. Ian Dunross

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Glenelg Tigers
    Lever i reckon is worth net 4 goals to a side

2 goals saved through his fist or mark

2 goals scored through his intercepting and play on

Dees paid a lot

But worth it imo