Prediction Who will finish higher - Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Brisbane or St Kilda

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A good start to the year for these four teams, I didn't expect all of them to win in round 1. Going to be interesting to see how the season takes shape from here.

Agree.

Not a single person would have tipped all four to win their round 1 games.

Brisbane - They took out the highest scalp of all the games. I like their ball movement, hard running and attack on the ball.
Freo - Great win on the weekend, but North Melb didn't really bring much. I thought their ball movement (though fast) was also quite messy. Need to see how they play against a good side.
Bulldogs - Liked the look of them, reminds me of their 2016 season. Let's see if they can sustain it against better sides.
Saints - They looked better in the JTL..... Lucky to get the win....feels like they've gone a step backwards since the JTL series.

Saints - They looked better in the JTL..... Lucky to get the win....feels like they've gone a step backwards since the JTL series.
Well given what's happened with Roberton and McCartin since then (finding out that one probably won't play again, and knowing that the other would have to be getting close to that stage as well) has quite possibly have a very deflating effect on the group.

Then there's the huge amount of pressure they would have been feeling, given all the media leading up to the game of what a disaster it would be if we lost the game.

Also needs to ge remembered that in JLT1 we had both Roberton and Brown in defence, and in JLT2 we had Robbo, but because of Brown's suspension, we didn't have either on Sunday (on top of Carlisle), which meant that the 3 "talls" we had in defence had a whopping 10 games experience between them!

Probably a big part of the reason Gold Coast kicked 5 goals from their first 6 inside-50's of the game, as our defensive group tried to settle.

Well given what's happened with Roberton and McCartin since then (finding out that one probably won't play again, and knowing that the other would have to be getting close to that stage as well) has quite possibly have a very deflating effect on the group.

Then there's the huge amount of pressure they would have been feeling, given all the media leading up to the game of what a disaster it would be if we lost the game.

Also needs to ge remembered that in JLT1 we had both Roberton and Brown in defence, and in JLT2 we had Robbo, but because of Brown's suspension, we didn't have either on Sunday (on top of Carlisle), which meant that the 3 "talls" we had in defence had a whopping 10 games experience between them!

Probably a big part of the reason Gold Coast kicked 5 goals from their first 6 inside-50's of the game, as our defensive group tried to settle.
There were a lot more glaring issues other than missing a couple of key defenders in beating Gold Coast by 1 point.

Seriously , you are playing against a team that have Burgess , Lukosius , GHS , miles , Murdoch , Collins , Hombsch playing together for the first time in AFL level .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Poor excuses for a poor side.

ARR always has excuses though, and will put you on ignore if he thinks you are too negative.

The players would have been affected by what happened to McCartin? You mean the thing that has happened to McCartin regularly on the odd occasion he plays?

Seriously , you are playing against a team that have Burgess , Lukosius , GHS , miles , Murdoch , Collins , Hombsch playing together for the first time in AFL level .
He made a comment about us looking like we had gone backwards since the JLT series and I gave some reasons as to why that might be the case. None of which you have disagreed with here.

As for your comment, your team in the last month smashed Brisbane in a praccy match and then beat WB in a JLT game, so you had some decent form going in, and perhaps aren't going to be as bad as everyone thinks.

When we lost to North in R2 last year everyone thought it was a disaster, because they were widely expected/tipped to finish bottom, but it turned out they were a much better team than that and as such in hindsight losing to them was no disaster.

Maybe you guys won't be as bad as expected either. Time will tell. Both our teams were apparently the youngest and/or least experienced for the round.

ARR always has excuses though, and will put you on ignore if he thinks you are too negative.

The players would have been affected by what happened to McCartin? You mean the thing that has happened to McCartin regularly on the odd occasion he plays?
Whilst i dont always agree with ARR I don't think he "always has excuses", His posts are very analytical and obviously well researched, couple that with his optimism and thats why his posts are how they are, which I can respect.

As for McCartin, no-one knows whats happening with him behind closed doors so we are all just speculating, theres no evidence to suggest it has affected the players just like theres no evidence to suggest it hasn't. The club came out today saying he still needs more tests and they have no timeline when he'll even be back training, so it seems like this is pretty serious.

Whilst i dont always agree with ARR I don't think he "always has excuses", His posts are very analytical and obviously well researched, couple that with his optimism and thats why his posts are how they are, which I can respect.

As for McCartin, no-one knows whats happening with him behind closed doors so we are all just speculating, theres no evidence to suggest it has affected the players just like theres no evidence to suggest it hasn't. The club came out today saying he still needs more tests and they have no timeline when he'll even be back training, so it seems like this is pretty serious.

A bit like Picken last year. Always hard for the player.

Different personal situation given Picken’s age and the career behind him vs mccartin’s youth and the drive to have a football career

Not too sure St Kilda fans would consider that a good start

I don’t know. 4 points is better than none.

So, a good start it is. Could it have been a better win...well obviously.
But at this stage, off the back of a shocker of a previous season,
we’ll take the early win.

North another example of a team that shot up from bottom 4 to the very edge of the 8 when even they probably doubted they had that in them.

This time last year they were comfortably ahead in the polls on here for the wooden spoon (after having won just 8 of their previous 34 games- and then they proceeded to lose to Gold Coast in R1!), yet they went on to win 12 of their next/last 21 games, to finish 9th.

And it's not like they did that off amazing big-name additions either, as their only addition of any note was Billy Hartung- who had been cut by another team. Even LDU contributed little in his first year, despite going very high in the draft and been considered ready-made to play.

So they improved immensely off almost exclusively internal improvements/getting their s**t together.

Then there's Collingwood, who finished 13th two years ago and who'd been going steadily backwards under Buckley, who suddenly shot up to almost win the flag- despite their only addition from another club being someone who hadn't played a game, and having another injury-ravaged year!

Anyone who predicted both of those things to happen can tell us with certainty what will happen with any of these teams.
You just said North is another example of a team that shot up from bottom 4 to the edge of the top 8 when even then they probably doubted they had it in them. I wasn't surprised they shot out of the bottom 4.

North had It in them in 2018.

Back in the end of 2016, Most people predicted North to decline after struggling in the 2nd half of the 2016 season.

North did drop in 2017. But it was how they dropped. Similar to Freo were in 2016. North finished in the bottom 4, posted 6 wins and 16 defeats in 2017. Then you look at the close games North lost in 2017: They lost to Cats by 1 point, Lost to freo twice by under a goal, Lost to Dogs twice by under a goal.

Had North beaten freo in one of those close games In 2017, Freo and North would of switched ladder positions. North 14th and Freo 15th both on 7 wins with north a better %. I personally never saw North as a bottom 4 team.

North got 12 wins last season due to less injuries and winning a few games by under a goal. To North fans, they would be bitter to a degree about getting 6 wins in 2017 as in their minds, they were better than what the ladder suggested and rightfully so. 2018 season proved that.

I am still bitter on How freos 2016 season turned out. Freo were not a 0-10 side and a 4-18 team. Fortunately freos 2017 season proved me that Freos season was a fluke.

Oh yes just like McCarthy was the saviour of your forward line too.
Cam McCarthy kicked 5 goals on the weekend.

I have said this before and will say it again. Cam McCarthy was never a spear head or main tall. He was always a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Cam was from the 2013 draft. Played 1 game in 2014. 2015, he kicked 35 goals from 21 games. This was because he was along side Jeremy Cameron, Jono Patton and Rory Lobb.

Cam Kicked 25 goals in 2017 and he was heavily tagged.

Cam kicked 5 goals v North as Freo played to his strengths. Yeah we all know Hogan was punished for his off field incident. But freo had Lobb and Tarberner as the 2 main talls.

Champion bloody Data , seriously what the hell did we ever do to those guys

18th best fwds

16th best mids

17th best backs

17th overall

I know we have been crap but jeez it seems like we'll be doing well to win a game

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
freo couldn't be that bad?

It's been 1 week mate. Conca has never played more than 17 games in a year so you're probably going a bit early, but Freo, small victories.
Um..... Conca played 19 games in 2014 and 18 in 2018. He Also got 19 disposals on the weekend.

I don't have high expectations on him. If he plays 17 games and averages 17 disposals and contributes to some of freos wins, then that's fine.
I don't thinks the suns are as bad as some people make it out. I don't think the suns will get the spoon. Got some winnable home games. Just hoping freo isn't one of them.

He made a comment about us looking like we had gone backwards since the JLT series and I gave some reasons as to why that might be the case. None of which you have disagreed with here.

As for your comment, your team in the last month smashed Brisbane in a praccy match and then beat WB in a JLT game, so you had some decent form going in, and perhaps aren't going to be as bad as everyone thinks.

When we lost to North in R2 last year everyone thought it was a disaster, because they were widely expected/tipped to finish bottom, but it turned out they were a much better team than that and as such in hindsight losing to them was no disaster.

Maybe you guys won't be as bad as expected either. Time will tell. Both our teams were apparently the youngest and/or least experienced for the round.

As Posted, North are not as bad as some people think. I didn't see them as a bottom 4 side.

Despite Freo thrashing them by 82 points, I will North some lee way on that bad game.

-North were playing in Perth Stadium, a ground wider than Docklands/Marvel stadium.
- North have some solid mids but none in the Calibre of a fyfe, Martin or Dangerfield
-North also had injuries', especially in the back line. They Had sam Durdin who is a young KPD and that was only his 10th game in 3 years.

Cam McCarthy kicked 5 goals on the weekend.

I have said this before and will say it again. Cam McCarthy was never a spear head or main tall. He was always a 2nd or 3rd tall.

Cam was from the 2013 draft. Played 1 game in 2014. 2015, he kicked 35 goals from 21 games. This was because he was along side Jeremy Cameron, Jono Patton and Rory Lobb.

Cam Kicked 25 goals in 2017 and he was heavily tagged.

Cam kicked 5 goals v North as Freo played to his strengths. Yeah we all know Hogan was punished for his off field incident. But freo had Lobb and Tarberner as the 2 main talls.
Yeh you’re right, I rest my case.

Raffle Bri, freo, dogs... think one will make finals

Reckon the saints will be lucky to win 4 games this year

Thought That deal for hannerbry was ridiculous at the time and smacked of desperation from a club determined to land a “fish “ , someone , anyone and it’s looking even worse now

Lions are building a massively good team. We in the south have no idea. They have ridiculous talent - all first rounders.
Fremantle building ok. Dogs looked good back to 2016 at times.

Saints looked horrendous for most of the match. There's something there but can they bring it up a few levels they need to? IMO not while richo is there.

Back