Who will forced out of 2013's Best 22 for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all,

Who will be forced out from from 2013 Best 22 for 2014? This thread caused great debate and near unibomber level angst amongst posters during the last preseason. Notably my support for dropping Craig Bird drew the ire of many.

Our last 22 man squad v Freo was:
Jarrad McVeigh, Daniel Hannebery, Ryan O'Keefe, Harry Cunningham (INT), Nick Malceski, Josh Kennedy, Andrejs Everitt (INT), Craig Bird (INT), Kieren Jack, Gary Rohan (SUB), Jesse White, Ben McGlynn, Jude Bolton, Ted Richards, Luke Parker, Lewis Jetta, Mike Pyke, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith, Shane Mumford, Dane Rampe, Shane Biggs.

Please note Bird was subbed :O

You know what that means! He's again in the cross hairs.

White, Everitt, Mumford gone. Buddy, Tippet, Goodes in. I think Bird and Grundy may be pressured to keep their spots. Grundy from LRT and Bird from everyone haha, probably Mitchell. Cunningham and Biggs are no chance, AJ Sam Reid are in.

So my guesses are Bird and Grundy and potentially Rampe are in some danger for lining up for Round 1.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Craig Bird dropped if it came down to it. Very vanilla player that doesn't really excel in anything special. His kicking annoys me, more often than not they go higher in the air than distance covered.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Craig Bird dropped if it came down to it. Very vanilla player that doesn't really excel in anything special. His kicking annoys me, more often than not they go higher in the air than distance covered.

The good thing about Bird is you always know what you are going to get from him and he is usually a solid contributor.

Injuries will sort it all out, our actual best 22 will never take the field. Even if we have a better injury run we will still get a couple. We appear to have a strong 26 core + a couple may step up, even in a good case scenario 2-4 will be injured.
Will be relatively easy to determine a best 25 after that happens, players 19-25 will rotate in and out due to form.

Also Grundy is in absolutely no danger of missing in round 1, as long as he's fit. Despite what many think, He's been our CHB for the last 4 years, no-one is going to have suddenly overtaken by round 1. Absolutely guaranteed that Horse will pick him.

I like Birdy, but yeah he does tend to up and under them a bit. Got a good league side step though...

My thoughts on the list...

I know who needs to come back in, but not necessarily go out:

LRT
Reid
AJ
Goodes
Buddy
Shaw
Derickx (joking)

This is nowhere near as challenging as people try to make it sound. Using mtooler's list:

Jarrad McVeigh, Daniel Hannebery, Ryan O'Keefe, Harry Cunningham (INT), Nick Malceski, Josh Kennedy, Andrejs Everitt (INT), Craig Bird (INT), Kieren Jack, Gary Rohan (SUB), Jesse White, Ben McGlynn, Jude Bolton, Ted Richards, Luke Parker, Lewis Jetta, Mike Pyke, Heath Grundy, Nick Smith, Shane Mumford, Dane Rampe, Shane Biggs.

Mumford, White, Everitt, Bolton are out. Taking out Biggs is a no-brainer.

The players unavailable were Roberts-Thomson, Goodes, Reid, Johnson, Franklin, Tippett, Shaw, Mitchell.

That leaves 5 spaces, 8 players. 3 will no doubt be unavailable. Problem solved, and I didn't even include dropping McGlynn.

I was wondering when the next movement to cut Bird would come. Considering he's been top 10 in the last 2 counts (one premiership year and a subsequent PF year), I doubt he'll be in much doubt for round 1.

If he started playing consistent games giving the output he gave against Freo in the PF, then he'd be in big trouble. But I don't see how we can assume it will given how out of the norm that game was for him.

Bird. The coaches love him., and he tags well, so apart from a drop in form, he will stay. As Jack2Jack said, it's more about the top 26-28 than best 22. Injuries, matchups and resting will mean there will be changes all year, especially once the injured come back online, but if I had to choose one player, perhaps McGlynn. Parker showed he's dangerous up there so McGlynn would be the least missed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your club's best 22 for round one, week one

BDane Rampe, Ted Richards, Nick Smith
HB Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy, Nick Malceski
C Lewis Jetta, Daniel Hannebery, Ryan O'Keefe
HF Gary Rohan, Lance Franklin, Adam Goodes
F Sam Reid, Kurt Tippett, Luke Parker
R Mike Pyke, Josh Kennedy, Kieren Jack
INT Tom Mitchell, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Craig Bird
SUBBen McGlynn
- AFL.com 30/11/13

Cant see McVeigh playing of a HBF even though he was All Aus , we need him back rotating trough the midfield and HF hitting the score board and using his foot skills hitting targets going into the 50 ala start of 2013 and with Jude gone and ROK getting on , we need him back in the middle at times.
After a learning year for Mitchell and getting used to the big time, I think he will have to start going into the midfield were he belongs.
With a 3rd tall back in 2014, Rampe with his pace should become a more rebounding defender but if he doesn't clean up his disposal he might be the first one out for Shaw , AJ etc

I agree with those who think injuries will take all of this out of our hands anyway. So I'll just focus on hoping the injured players get back and the rest will sort itself.

In 2013 Rampe might have been on a "who gets delisted this year" list, but injuries turned him into a required player.

Some being a little harsh on Birdy. We really were scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and create something out of nothing around the time he started subbing. Ultimately, he's a coach's sort of player. Just does a job..and a job which a lot of fans watching externally find hard to rate as lot of the tasks he's given are team based and don't really showcase individual skill. Worse, the jobs he's given involve substantial fatigue work, and so when he does get a free possession they're often undercooked as a result.

How many top 10 B&F finishes will it take before people realise that Bird plays a very important role for us? He's going nowhere.

This.

I can see with his 'just get the job done' style how opposition fans can overlook him and consider him a fringe player, but Swans fans whom I presume watch all our games need to take a good hard look at themselves if after all this time, particularly the past 2 years with two Top 10 B&F's, they still don't see the little things he does and the value he brings to the table...

This is fairly close to how I see it. Looks a seriously good forward line which should give opposition coaches and opposition defenders sleepless nights.

Do you reckon Ted Richards is the happiest bloke at Sydney? No longer has to stand Tippett and Franklin, he's loving life right now!

Tom Mitchell is a gun and should be full time midfield this (2014) year and Rohan needs as much game time as possible to help him develop into the player we hope he can be, subs vest doesn't achieve that aim, use it only to give him a freshen up during the year.

Be interesting to put together a reserves line up not using the 22 in the AFL website team.

This is fairly close to how I see it. Looks a seriously good forward line which should give opposition coaches and opposition defenders sleepless nights.

Do you reckon Ted Richards is the happiest bloke at Sydney? No longer has to stand Tippett and Franklin, he's loving life right now!

Tom Mitchell is a gun and should be full time midfield this (2014) year and Rohan needs as much game time as possible to help him develop into the player we hope he can be, subs vest doesn't achieve that aim, use it only to give him a freshen up during the year.

Be interesting to put together a reserves line up not using the 22 in the AFL website team.

maybe a lil bit

tedrich.png

For me rohan and mglynn are the ones that are in danger of losing their spot. Mglynn at times this year looked lazy and wasn't applying the pressure he should be. With buddy coming in, there is a far greater importance on our small forward(s) applying defensive pressure. If he can't do that this year he will lose his spot.

Rohan I have mentioned purely on his ability to overcome his injury. If he hasn't taken significant steps in his performance this year , he will find himself out aswell.

I disagree with a lot of posters on bird, he is very underrated and is our primary shutdown player. As far as I'm concerned he is a walk up start to our best 22

For me rohan and mglynn are the ones that are in danger of losing their spot. Mglynn at times this year looked lazy and wasn't applying the pressure he should be. With buddy coming in, there is a far greater importance on our small forward(s) applying defensive pressure. If he can't do that this year he will lose his spot.

Rohan I have mentioned purely on his ability to overcome his injury. If he hasn't taken significant steps in his performance this year , he will find himself out aswell.

I disagree with a lot of posters on bird, he is very underrated and is our primary shutdown player. As far as I'm concerned he is a walk up start to our best 22

Show me a better two-way running small forward in our side? I'm amazed how many times he pops up in the defensive 50, then moments later he's crumbing for a goal. To me he's one of the hardest runners in our side.

Show me a better two-way running small forward in our side? I'm amazed how many times he pops up in the defensive 50, then moments later he's crumbing for a goal. To me he's one of the hardest runners in our side.
Just on Benny, love the passion he obviously has for the contest and the game. When he's on he's a very damaging two way runner and a great spark in our team. He's best when he's got that agression turned on and balanced out with some hard gut running and speed. As such, I agree with you that he can often be one of the hardest runners we have and shows a sh*tload of commitment to play at that level. The main thing I hold against Benny is I feel there are times where he seems not to be focused on that role and sidetracked by something else (which may seem like he's being lazy at times). Often it's him getting on the angry pills and doing something ill disiplined which often hurts the team. That agressive streak is what I think is both one of his best strengths but also one of his biggest weaknesses. Occassionally I'd think he was trying so damn hard given he missed 2012 that took over and detracted from him playing a more balanced and effective role. Hopefully he'll have a more focused role this year with our massive forward line to work off of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back