Opinion Who will have a breakout season in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Stewart with a full preseason could step up in a big way after pretty much missing the last preseason with glandular fever and a few other niggles. Also have high hopes that Hopper will have a similar impact that Wines had in his first season. Could also see WHE and Kelly taking there games a new level.

Zac Williams. Watch back a game like The Port game... He was in the thick of it. Puts his head over, takes the game on, excellent kick, good decision maker, very quick, strong through hips. Only needs to improve his tank a bit to start in midfield. I honestly think he could be one of our best mids.

Zac Williams. Watch back a game like The Port game... He was in the thick of it. Puts his head over, takes the game on, excellent kick, good decision maker, very quick, strong through hips. Only needs to improve his tank a bit to start in midfield. I honestly think he could be one of our best mids.

Yeah. Big fan of Williams. Hope he becomes a regular in the starting 22.

Another guy that seems to fly beneath the radar a little is Whitfield. As a former number one pick, he seems to avoid the same intense scruitiny that others have. He always does enough, but hasn't really set the world on fire. Would be good to see him begin to make the top three on field regularly. He has all the tools.

I reckon Devon smith with the addition of strive j he will help Devon take his game to another level see similar traits between these two

Another guy that seems to fly beneath the radar a little is Whitfield. As a former number one pick, he seems to avoid the same intense scruitiny that others have. He always does enough, but hasn't really set the world on fire. Would be good to see him begin to make the top three on field regularly. He has all the tools.
Would love to see him put on 7-8kgs muscle. His skills and decisions are great, but any physical contact he gets dominated every time. Have been very impressed with his courage though; seen him go back with the flight a few times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see him put on 7-8kgs muscle. His skills and decisions are great, but any physical contact he gets dominated every time. Have been very impressed with his courage though; seen him go back with the flight a few times.

Apparently Lachie never lifted a weight before being drafted!

He works his arse off and gets plenty of it but does need to put on some muscle and also really needs to improve his decision making in games. I think sometimes because he works so hard he makes fatigue errors.

A great kid who has so much potential.

I would like to see Zac williams have a real consistant year in 2016 after showing some great signs this year. He has great skills and speed.. could Zac maybe even push into the midfield ?

MCarthy, will probs try and get as many goals for himself now (instead of passing off/team goals)

Aidan Corr will be very steady next year with another pre-season behind him.
Generally, defensive stocks are in a good place.
Nick Haynes is a lock, Matt Buntine will limit Patfull's game time, Corr will challenge Davis.

And Tomlinson has to be given a run at centre half back. If he is to be kept, he needs a fixed position, it's gotta be there or cut him loose next year.

I think Kelly is set to go off this year. Treloar's departure opens up more inside mid time which i think i remember reading is his preference. Im really keen to see if he can put on the size required to play there effectively over the off season or if he has the scully/whitfield/lobb genetics of the skinny kid

I think Kelly is set to go off this year. Treloar's departure opens up more inside mid time which i think i remember reading is his preference. Im really keen to see if he can put on the size required to play there effectively over the off season or if he has the scully/whitfield/lobb genetics of the skinny kid

Agreed and I think he will do well, his game turned towards more inside in the back half of this year, looking forward to seeing him develop it next year.

Agreed and I think he will do well, his game turned towards more inside in the back half of this year, looking forward to seeing him develop it next year.
I had a theory why he was in and out of the side during the season. It revolved around his desire to play inside when he was being told to play outside. Needs the big rig to support the role change tho

If last year is a guide then the boys most likely to have a breakout year are the 3-4 year group. Shiel, Buntine, Haynes, Wilson and Williams all stepped up a lot and for players like Buntine, Wilson and Williams it meant they aren't just fringe 25; they are best or fringe 22.(Shiel/Haynes were already at that level)

From the current 3-4 year group I think Kelly, Whitfield and Corr have the best potential for a breakout year.

I really hope WHE does. I fear he may end up like Jarrad Grant... a player who teases every now and then.
At this stage it is one season of injury and poor form. Let's hope he has got this bad year out of the way early, and he is back on track to be the champ he promises to be. He is one player who needs SJ in his ear about getting a bit of mongrel into his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back