Who will have a breakout year in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm picking Dan Robinson to really step up and takeover where Tom Mitchell left off.

I'm basing this on the fact they both look a bit weird.
It's the eyes. Big cow eyes with a fanatical look. Sort of Jihadi Jersey.

I reckon Horse & the coaching panel will have a breakout year this year.

I think they've started to actually have plan Bs & sometimes plan Cs. I think the move to FINALLY play a dedicated small forward (or two) in Papley/McGlynn was a good indicator of their change in attitude the last year or so. I think we'll see the benefits this year.

Horse has had a year under the belt with what is a relative newish coaching team (Shaw, Kirk etc). I'm also thinking, like the rest of us, he went into last year with a sense of a "consolidation year" before our next "window". To have guys like Mills, Papley & AA all surprisingly effective in 2016 I think it bodes well for him this year. He has more to work with than he first thought I think and the list is very well balanced. The transition from the Goodes, Shaw era to the Mills, Heeney era was almost instantaneous and likely a very welcome surprise for him & the rest of the coaching panel.

Not only this but I think one tactic which really hurt us was the Hawthorn chip kicking style of play. Clubs have started moving away from that to a faster, direct, more handball focused style IMO. Run it through the guts or up a wing with speed & spread. I think that suits us provided we get some speed into the side (which I think Horse & co have addressed well the last few years + the natural improvement in speed as a result of new guys taking over from retirees).

Lloyd's been great and has been having his best year but he doesn't really get any of the ball on the inside and his disposal isn't elite.

His disposal looks elite enough for us :drunk:

Lloyd is a dead set gun who works his ass off. Just runs and runs and runs and keeps moving the ball.

Take him out and we'd be Collingwood from the 1st quarter the other night against the Hawks.

FWIW, my money is on Hanners. Breaks out from being a champion of the club to a champion of the game after a scorching hot second half of the year that earns him a fourth All Australian.

Lloyd's been great and has been having his best year but he doesn't really get any of the ball on the inside and his disposal isn't elite.
regarding his inside game lloyd is a freight train from hell and when he is coming at u, u pray your not on the tracks. Regarding his disposal, in the words of the rock "it don't matter"

he earned 3 clearances (same as parker) and 9 contested possessions last game. He is being asked to run and be an option, not get it inside, but he goes when its his turn, and does well enough when he does.

Its like complaining Buddy doesn't earn the ball inside enough. Its not his job, hand if he starts doing a lot of it we have big problems as a team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd's has a 79.5% DE. That is as close to elite as you are going to get. 80% is seen as elite

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stats don't tell the full picture. Most of his kicks are short passes - hard to get wrong. Hayward is elite, over the top, long and into space. Lloyd is playing very well but to say his kicking is elite purely because his DE% is high is judging a players performance without even watching the game - it's just playing Supercoach

Lloyd is a dead set gun who works his ass off. Just runs and runs and runs and keeps moving the ball.

Take him out and we'd be Collingwood from the 1st quarter the other night against the Hawks.

FWIW, my money is on Hanners. Breaks out from being a champion of the club to a champion of the game after a scorching hot second half of the year that earns him a fourth All Australian.
Hanners had his break out year way back. He's long been a champion of the game.

Hanners had his break out year way back. He's long been a champion of the game.

He doesn't get anywhere near the level of adoration that the likes of Selwood etc get. I could say the same for Kennedy, too. I put them both on par with Selwood and Mitchell as just how good and consistent they are. Hanners could finish his career with 5 or 6 All Australians (and hopefully another premiership.) He needs the accolades all the other blokes are getting if he's gonna get the appreciation he deserves

He doesn't get anywhere near the level of adoration that the likes of Selwood etc get. I could say the same for Kennedy, too. I put them both on par with Selwood and Mitchell as just how good and consistent they are. Hanners could finish his career with 5 or 6 All Australians (and hopefully another premiership.) He needs the accolades all the other blokes are getting if he's gonna get the appreciation he deserves
Don't worry. We at Swans HQ know how good he is. Opposition players and coaches know how good he is. The only lack of lack of respect for Kennedy and Hanners comes from fans of other clubs, and we know they're not that bright or they'd be following Sydney.

Don't worry. We at Swans HQ know how good he is. Opposition players and coaches know how good he is. The only lack of lack of respect for Kennedy and Hanners comes from fans of other clubs, and we know they're not that bright or they'd be following Sydney.
Exactly. Why do people follow other clubs? Never been able to fathom that.

Lloyd's has a 79.5% DE. That is as close to elite as you are going to get. 80% is seen as elite

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app
DE isny a good measure of how good someones dislosal is. A kick 30 metres up the wing to a contest counts as effective. Its also going to reward players that take conservative choices wiyh average skills over players with grest skills who take high risk options.

In saying that, i think it pretty good strategically if loyds role is to be an easy option and to recycle possesion with low risk disposals. Holding possesion forces the opponent to continually adapt thier defensive structures, the more that happens the more likely that mistakes will be made.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

DE isny a good measure of how good someones dislosal is. A kick 30 metres up the wing to a contest counts as effective. Its also going to reward players that take conservative choices wiyh average skills over players with grest skills who take high risk options.

In saying that, i think it pretty good strategically if loyds role is to be an easy option and to recycle possesion with low risk disposals. Holding possesion forces the opponent to continually adapt thier defensive structures, the more that happens the more likely that mistakes will be made.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I disagree... There are plenty of times in most games when a 30-50 metre kick to a contest on the wing is a good choice and an effective kick, especially if that's the safest option or they need a moment to reset. I really like the way that Lloyd is playing at the moment, the amount of running he does each game has to be up near Hanners, and I haven't once thought that he was 'recycling' possession while watching him live or on TV. I've thought most of his delivery has been pretty good, and his popping up in the clear to receive has been the result of hard work.

Jones and Newman the only real breakouts so far this year.

Reid arguable but trending towards yes. Lloyd was doing what he does at the end of last year.

I disagree... There are plenty of times in most games when a 30-50 metre kick to a contest on the wing is a good choice and an effective kick, especially if that's the safest option or they need a moment to reset. I really like the way that Lloyd is playing at the moment, the amount of running he does each game has to be up near Hanners, and I haven't once thought that he was 'recycling' possession while watching him live or on TV. I've thought most of his delivery has been pretty good, and his popping up in the clear to receive has been the result of hard work.

Yeah I agree, its often the right choice, but using DE as a measure of how good a user of the ball someone is is a bit lacking. Its not hard to punt it 30 metres to a contest, but you do that every time you get the ball, you have 100% DE and have people on forums talking you up as one of the best disposers in the comp, even if your skills are so limited that is the only decision you can make. Which isn't true of Loyd, he is doing a lot of helpful short kicks to free players in the corridor or hitting up forward leading to the wing.
Recycling is probably not the best word, but what I mean by it is consolidating, by being an easy option who then takes an easy option and helps us hold position and slowly break the oppositions defensive structures down by asking them to move and adapt to various angles of attack. I'm not being critical of Loyd, I love him as a player and think he is playing a really important role for us. But he isn't an elite disposer of the ball, he doesn't carve the oppo up with pinpoint difficult kick after pinpoint difficult kick, he consistently takes the safe option and runs all day. Nothing wrong with that, plenty right with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back