Who will have a breakout year in 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats don't tell the full picture. Most of his kicks are short passes - hard to get wrong. Hayward is elite, over the top, long and into space. Lloyd is playing very well but to say his kicking is elite purely because his DE% is high is judging a players performance without even watching the game - it's just playing Supercoach

Short kicks often open up space into the corridor rather than a bomb to a contest on a wing. Allir looks so dangerous precisely because he takes the game on and mostly hits a target with a short kick. To get the ball on the outside you often need the short kick into the middle first before overlap run occurs.

Hawks seemed to do allright with short kicks during their three-peat and also against Swans in the first half on Friday night.

Was Jones underplayed early on, when McGlynn was getting games? I think like Mitchell he was under-rated by Horse. I hope we don't pay the same penalty as we did with Mitchell.

It was ridiculous that Hello Noooman was not upgraded ahead of H Marsh last season. At least HN received his upgrade at end 2016. Congrats to those who tipped HN to have a breakout year in 2017.

I was hoping George would develop further than he has to date this year. Wish he had another half yard of pace.

While poor before being concussed on Friday, Reid has been playing at a higher level than I expected. He has pinch hit in the ruck and been swung to defence at times but has been pretty good. His kicking has improved as well. I expect that the Eddies will be in to him with a bigger offer than we can afford.

The price of the the Tippett extension may be the loss of one or two of HN, Jones or Reid at years end.

I would say Hewett and Hayward pretty much had break out years in 2017.
How did people go with their predictions? Be interested to see people's thoughts for 2018 after the draft in perhaps a new thread.

How did people go with their predictions? Be interested to see people's thoughts for 2018 after the draft in perhaps a new thread.
I had Aliir for my pick for a breakout year... Wasn't i wrong! I think 2018 George Hewitt will go up another gear but Tom Papley is my pick to have an absolute breakout year & become an all Australian smokey..

I think next year will be a good one for George. I noticed that at the end of the year he seems to fill out a bit more and was able to hold his own in the physical contests better. He should be a stronger player next year.

Yeah it's funny to look at how predictions turn out in hindsight.
2018 crystal ball
- Heeney to break out
- Dawson to break in

Serious though what would we set as parameters

Lets say in the regular season

22 games of 22
And averages of

16-18 possessions a game
10 marks a game
45 or more goals

Pass mark
Some arbitrary stats:
20 games (his career average)
around 7 marks a game (would be up 2 per game on his career high)
1-2 goals a game (around 40 total) (31 his career high)
16-18 disposals a game. (+5 on career high)

22 games
6.1 marks a game
1.4 goals a game (30 total)
12.8 disposals

Ehhh, kind of but not really?

22 games
6.1 marks a game
12.8 disposals

He played some good games and a few games where he was peripheral.

I dont think he is ever going to "break out" as such as a player, he isnt an out and out star (despite what i was telling myself during the early season bulldogs game). He is a pretty valuable cobfributor and a good swing man, and its certainly not an easy role to play. If we can find someone who pushes him out out of the team we'll have a grest player on our hands, if we dont then im happy that he will continue to play a part in out victories more often than not.

He'll never be the player that wins us games, but he isnt the player that loses us games either. A solid 8 - 15 player on our list.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd and Jones of the established guys. Have the ability to take it up a notch.

I liked the draftees we got and the kids from last year as well. Interested to see how the side evolves as we do tend to roll over the team pretty well.

Phew.....I didn't screw this up.

Lloyd was great all year and exceptional at the start. I hope he can go that but better in 2018.

22 games
6.1 marks a game
12.8 disposals

Reid is what he is
But i think he suffers the most from the coaching, at least his body held up

We will sign Craig Bird as a delisted free agent and he will win fulfil his destiny of winning the Brownlow. :thumbsu:

I would rather have bird on the list than foote or robinson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back