Opinion Who will improve most in 2015?

I've been ruminating over who will 'pull a Jetta' in 2015 and make themselves an invaluable member of our 22. In 2013 it was arguably Garland, whose (if you can remember) career appeared to be at a crossroads. You could also file this under Pedersen, Cam or Dunn, Lynden.

For the purpose of this discussion it might be best to focus on fringe players who have probably already been on the list for a few years. Guys like Salem, Toumpas etc probably don't fit the bill as they are young and we expect improvement from them anyway. This probably isn't the best place to discuss someone like Watts either, because he's generally best 22. I'm talking about guys who if they don't have a good year might be turfed.

Prospects:

Viv Michie: With a good preseason behind him Viv may lock down a spot in the midfield and oust an honest battler like M Jones. Has only managed 7 career games, so will need to start stringing some match time together soon. Must keep injury free.

Luke Tapscott: What happened to the bustling HFF that we all knew and loved? Only managed 3 games in 2014. If he can turn himself into a tackling machine and lock the ball into the forward line and kick sausage rolls from 55m it will be hard for Roos to overlook him (could very well be delisted a week after I post this).

Jake Spencer: CONTROVERSIAL! I still see the number two ruck spot up for grabs (and assume whoever cements it this year will take over from Jamar once he goes). I like Gawn and he would probably be my choice if everything goes well but I am just worried about his durability. Spencer has a shocking history of poor disposal/decision making but he has a durable body and runs and runs. Gawn might be more flexible in terms of being thrown forward but I see Spencer as a better ruckman. /Controversy.

Thoughts?

Add Fitzpatrick to the mix. Roosy will have worked him out after seeing him play poorly and play well. Counting on him to come good at FF.

Michie undoubtedly has class. Still only played 8 AFL games, so I reckon if he could get 22 under his belt he'd be better set for a bug 2016.

Tapscott - play him off the line and let him break bones from HFF. It's his role. Can obviously dob a goal from 50+ as well. Problem is that he doesn't get the ball. Needs a huge preseason. Is a Roos-type player though.

Add Fitzpatrick to the mix. Roosy will have worked him out after seeing him play poorly and play well. Counting on him to come good at FF.

Good point. Will we need him up the ground though? Hogan, Dawes + possibly McCartin makes for a big forward line.

Good point. Will we need him up the ground though? Hogan, Dawes + possibly McCartin makes for a big forward line.
I don't think he has the tank to play up the ground. Best to give him a simple role - just provide a target and kick goals. Dawes + Hogan are better utilised up the ground than Fitz IMO. And McCartin wouldn't play until the second half of the year.

I know said not to, but I really see Toumpas is in this category. He should be firmly set for a break out year (subject to injury-free pre-season).

I suppose you could make a case that if he doesn't make waves this year, we might look to trade him while he's still young and has some value. This discussion has happened elsewhere though, and the reason I didn't really bring his name into it is because it turns into an ad nauseum 'he'll come good' 'nah he won't' type of discussion. Definitely might fit the bill for this type of thread next year though.

I don't think he has the tank to play up the ground. Best to give him a simple role - just provide a target and kick goals. Dawes + Hogan are better utilised up the ground than Fitz IMO. And McCartin wouldn't play until the second half of the year.

Fair point. I guess I can't see a long term consistent spot for him though, especially if our forward line and one of Spencer/Gawn comes good. Certainly handy depth however.

I don't think we should expect Toumpas to have a big year next year. Should just be about stringing together 23 games, and then really breaking out in 2016. Viney is the youngster who I think will really improve after playing almost a full season this year.

I don't think we should expect Toumpas to have a big year next year. Should just be about stringing together 23 games, and then really breaking out in 2016. Viney is the youngster who I think will really improve after playing almost a full season this year.

Viney is already a good player but it would be great to see him stringing together big possession games and really being a Jones mk. II type of player. If he has a great year it might be the difference between winning and losing some games.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm going to run with Dom Barry, even though he is only young. He enters his third year at the Club having played five games, without too much of a specified role; more of a "let's see how you go" basis.

He won't be gifted any more games, as the list looks a good 10% stronger than this year already with the delistings/incomings. We were only ever going to win a few games this year, and even though he was never outstanding at Casey Roosy saw the opportunity to blood him a little.

I believe that with our stronger list, he will need to earn every single minute he spends on an AFL field in 2015. It may mean he ends up playing 2 games or less, but I think he could end up playing 15+. I personally would like to see him running on the wing, and with Trenners down that's one less competitor for a spot there. At least we can move away from the concept that he's a small forward simply because he isn't tall and he is indigenous - gathering the ball below his knees is not his strength - with JKH, Garlett and then the likes of Salem, Bail and Toumpas more likely to play that role in 2015. I actually think his disposal is okay, and he has good defensive pressure which is important on the wings to stop teams getting a run on us through counter attacking. To be able to lock the ball in and earn a ball up or throw in is vital halfway down the ground, and thats not a strength of Wattsy, Howey or other players likely to rotate through the wing. My thoughts - and I should have prefaced it by saying at this stage he is not in my best 22, but I would love him to prove he should be.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Toumpas will improve a bit next year, and I also liked the Spencer nomination. JKH will give himself every chance because of the way he trains.

I'll add Garland, in that he really played below himself last year, and I reckon he'll have a much better year this year.

And dare I say it, I'd like to see Watts improve again..

I'm going to run with Dom Barry, even though he is only young. He enters his third year at the Club having played five games, without too much of a specified role; more of a "let's see how you go" basis.

He won't be gifted any more games, as the list looks a good 10% stronger than this year already with the delistings/incomings. We were only ever going to win a few games this year, and even though he was never outstanding at Casey Roosy saw the opportunity to blood him a little.

I believe that with our stronger list, he will need to earn every single minute he spends on an AFL field in 2015. It may mean he ends up playing 2 games or less, but I think he could end up playing 15+. I personally would like to see him running on the wing, and with Trenners down that's one less competitor for a spot there. At least we can move away from the concept that he's a small forward simply because he isn't tall and he is indigenous - gathering the ball below his knees is not his strength - with JKH, Garlett and then the likes of Salem, Bail and Toumpas more likely to play that role in 2015. I actually think his disposal is okay, and he has good defensive pressure which is important on the wings to stop teams getting a run on us through counter attacking. To be able to lock the ball in and earn a ball up or throw in is vital halfway down the ground, and thats not a strength of Wattsy, Howey or other players likely to rotate through the wing. My thoughts - and I should have prefaced it by saying at this stage he is not in my best 22, but I would love him to prove he should be.

Good response. I was close to adding Barry to the OP but in the end I didn't because (personally) I can't see him breaking into the side. Playing him on the wing is an interesting idea, I imagine he'll need to develop a formidable tank though.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Michie for me, and I think JKH will play most of the year. What I love about JKH is not only does he work bloody hard, but he has a lot of ability. Gawn is still a better ruckman than Spencer imo, but he needs to have an injury-free season.

I actually think that Spencer will improve a lot next year, i don't know if i'm just crazy but there was a little promise i thought from the games he played this year.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I actually think that Spencer will improve a lot next year, i don't know if i'm just crazy but there was a little promise i thought from the games he played this year.

I have much, much lower expectations on Spencer. I'm praying Jamar and Gawn stay fit because Spencer is a horrible AFL ruckman

WhiteMagic

Debutant
Oct 23, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spencer is a genuinely good ruckman. It's all dependent on what he can add to the team after the initial tap out, but her does possess some aerobic capabilities at the very least.

Still confused on what's been said about Dom Barry. He already plays on the wing, and does very, very little. Not very good below his knees and is as soft as they come. No intensity at the contest and his disposal is no good. Will need to improve out of sight to even make it in the team, let alone be a stand out.

My money is on Riley. Too good for VFL - hoping he can make the jump on not just pull a Magner

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I can see Fitz really stepping up next year. At 200cm and mobile, he's hard to match up on and played as a permanent forward I think he shows more potential to be damaging on the scoreboard (to the opposition instead of us!) than Dawes and Pederson. He also gives the added benefit of being able to give the ruckmen a breather for short periods. He's still young and fairly raw, he doesn't turn 24 until half way through next year, I think he's just entering that age of maturity where he's ready to shine.

Flyswatter

All Australian
Feb 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dean Kent for me, think he will push Tapscott out the door.

I have really enjoyed watching him play, has confidence in his ability, takes the game on, has a knack for crumbing and kicking at goals. He's a perhaps in the Salem/Toumpas category of too young for this thread but I'm posting anyway, the kid looks the goods, sign him up long-term.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spencer is a genuinely good ruckman. It's all dependent on what he can add to the team after the initial tap out, but her does possess some aerobic capabilities at the very least.

Still confused on what's been said about Dom Barry. He already plays on the wing, and does very, very little. Not very good below his knees and is as soft as they come. No intensity at the contest and his disposal is no good. Will need to improve out of sight to even make it in the team, let alone be a stand out.

My money is on Riley. Too good for VFL - hoping he can make the jump on not just pull a Magner

Not trying to be nasty mate but what makes you think this? Spencer does absolutely nothing apart from tackle pretty well for a big guy.

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
We've just found the moment where Hairdo Lampoon has become offended

Hasn't been mentioned once

Seriously though, if he survives I'm hoping it's tappy

But I'm thinking michie

We've just found the moment where Hairdo Lampoon has become offended

Hasn't been mentioned once

Seriously though, if he survives I'm hoping it's tappy

But I'm thinking michie

I already think HL has a pretty big upside and is probably best 22 anyway. He just needs to be consistent without improving massively.

EDIT: Just realised the comment was probably tongue in cheek anyway

Viney

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2006
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Melbourne
I already think HL has a pretty big upside and is probably best 22 anyway. He just needs to be consistent without improving massively.

EDIT: Just realised the comment was probably tongue in cheek anyway

Yes mate, tongue was firmly planted in cheek

Back