Who will Mark Ricciuto stupidly insult next on behalf of the club and why?

Remove this Banner Ad

With the greatest respect to Mark Ricciuto who is an absolutely undisputed great of the club and played his heart out for us, he is just not capable enough to handle the current role he has, his ability to verbalise his thoughts and remain coherent during interviews is sub optimal at best, I believe a lot of times he attempts to say the right thing but it just comes out sounding wrong, and once he gets on that slippery slope he just does not have the skills/nous to recover and think on his feet.

This is just a fact of life, we can't all be gifted at everything, remember a man's got to know his limitations!

Looking forward to Fog starting in the 2s next year so Tex can play and it being leaked that his preseason was disappointing.
That would be a pretty Roo thing to do, it looks like Fog has been at every one of those Lynch/Smith organised sessions in the last few weeks.

I've made my thoughts on Roo pretty clear on a number of occasions.

He started tarnishing his own reputation before he finished up as a player:

The selfish hit he did in round 22 2005 that saw him miss a pivotal home Qualifying final, which we lost.
His selfish drive to play in 2007 when he was not at all fit, which basically cost us the Elimination final against Hawthorn. We would have played the Roos the following week (Who we had the wood over) and then Port in a Prelim (ditto), good chance we make the Grand final, probably get flogged, but would have done better than Port no doubt.

To think a Play was written about Mark ricciutto around the time he was born, by a port supporter.

He is the old man in "the club" down to a tee.

Looking forward to Fog starting in the 2s next year so Tex can play and it being leaked that his preseason was disappointing.

Because Fogarty showed this year on multiple occasions..... that he deserves more chances

I didn’t hear the interview in question but I read an article on it. Thought the headline outweighed the actual content to be honest.

Is the part that people are pissed with this?

“And at that point, you would have Brad Crouch wanting to not want to be at Adelaide on a five-year deal, and the Crows not wanting Brad in Adelaide on a five-year deal, okay?

“So you’re in a situation you don’t wanna be, and same with Brad. We had a look around to see if any other clubs were interested ... and that wasn’t the case, we couldn’t find one.”

I dislike Ricciuto in his current role at our club as much as the next guy, but I don’t think he’s done much “wrong” there. The “5 year deal” was the key to the point he was making, and we already knew prior to the FA period commencing that the club weren’t interested in signing Brad up for 5 years. We won’t be signing any guys over 25 years of age to 5 years any time soon after the Jenkins and Sloane debacles.

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to compare this Roo interview to the previous “insulting past players” situations. He did even acknowledge that the situation “for Brad” would have been sh*t if a trade couldn’t be organised. He’s right. All parties knew that Adelaide didn’t want to sign him up for 5 years (personally I don’t see that as disrespectful towards Brad, that’s just the club’s position), and all parties also knew that Brad didn’t want to be here anymore, due to a combo of wanting a long term deal, wanting success, and probably feeling like the club didn’t value him as highly as what St Kilda do.

The embarrassment here lies with Kelly and the horrendous poker game that led to the situation reaching that point. The treatment of Crouch that led to him not wanting to be here anymore is also a major issue. Ricciuto’s just dishing facts in that interview IMO.

As for the “we couldn’t find one (club interested in trading for him)”, again, that’s predictable and probably just truth. Crouch was a free agent who was being offered more by the Saints than anyone else, and they’re a club on the rise so of course it’s going to be difficult to legitimately find another club to a) match the Saints contract offer, b) be in a position to get Crouch to agree to be traded there and c) be willing to offer up something of value in a trade.

So I don’t view Ricciuto’s comments as insulting towards Brad from what I’ve read. More of an explanation of the ridiculous position we cornered ourselves into, which is the real issue at hand. Were there more comments made that aren’t quoted in the written pieces on this?

we just need our football director to be told he has to SFU. Ultimatum - lose the radio job or the AFC job. He’s just digging us deeper. I’m in despair.

With the greatest respect to Mark Ricciuto who is an absolutely undisputed great of the club and played his heart out for us, he is just not capable enough to handle the current role he has, his ability to verbalise his thoughts and remain coherent during interviews is sub optimal at best, I believe a lot of times he attempts to say the right thing but it just comes out sounding wrong, and once he gets on that slippery slope he just does not have the skills/nous to recover and think on his feet.

This is just a fact of life, we can't all be gifted at everything, remember a man's got to know his limitations!
Great footballer. Complete moron. The sooner he has no decision making power at our club the better.

No one has criticised us in the next week. It'll come.

My money is on the draft.

"we didn't pick Thilthorpe with pick 1 because we didn't like his disposal numbers" when trying to justify why we didn't pick the SA prospect (even though the right move is to not pick the SA prospect).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back