Prediction Who will we pick in the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope we take McDonald. Look nothing against Hollands but the rate of subsequent ACL injury for players in the AFL under 21 is 50%. Therefore Hollands has a 50% chance he will reinjure his ACL. I'm not taking that risk on a top 30 pick, let alone pick 1. The rate of reinjury after doing an ACL for a player in the AFL over 21 is still 30%.

Fifteen-Year Audit of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstructions in the Australian Football League From 1999 to 2013: Return to Play and Subsequent ACL Injury - PubMed
"The rate of return to play after an initial ACL injury was 77% (121 of 158 players). Greater preinjury playing experience and earlier selection in the AFL draft were associated with higher rates of return to play. The rate of subsequent ACL injury to either knee was 30% (48 of 158 players) and was especially high among players aged <21 years (23 of 46 players, 50%). After subsequent ACL injury, 34 of 48 players (71%) returned to play."
And we would have those stats at hand too. Lever did another one the year he left us too.

It's a HUGE risk

Hope we take McDonald. Look nothing against Hollands but the rate of subsequent ACL injury for players in the AFL under 21 is 50%. Therefore Hollands has a 50% chance he will reinjure his ACL. I'm not taking that risk on a top 30 pick, let alone pick 1. The rate of reinjury after doing an ACL for a player in the AFL over 21 is still 30%.

Fifteen-Year Audit of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstructions in the Australian Football League From 1999 to 2013: Return to Play and Subsequent ACL Injury - PubMed
"The rate of return to play after an initial ACL injury was 77% (121 of 158 players). Greater preinjury playing experience and earlier selection in the AFL draft were associated with higher rates of return to play. The rate of subsequent ACL injury to either knee was 30% (48 of 158 players) and was especially high among players aged <21 years (23 of 46 players, 50%). After subsequent ACL injury, 34 of 48 players (71%) returned to play."

So not only are they a 50% chance to do their knee again, if they do fall into that category, there's a 29% chance they never play again

If my maths is right, that means there's a 15% chance that a draftee that's done an ACL will do it again and not return. Not to mention the reduction in output they might have if they do return.

Port Adelaide have Connor Rozee future mid/fwd
Brisbane Cam Rayner future mid /fwd
Essendon Jake Stringer
Gws Toby Green
Sydney Isacc Heeney
Collingwood have Jordan Degoey
Bulldogs have Marcus Bontempelli
Geelong have Patrick Dangerfield
Richmond have Dustin Martin

Thought Wayne Milera could be the man for the crows, but appears to have found his role down back.

Adelaide mid/fwd star Elijah Holland's for pick 1

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Port Adelaide have Connor Rozee future mid/fwd
Brisbane Cam Rayner future mid /fwd
Essendon Jake Stringer
Gws Toby Green
Sydney Isacc Heeney
Collingwood have Jordan Degoey
Bulldogs have Marcus Bontempelli
Geelong have Patrick Dangerfield
Richmond have Dustin Martin

Thought Wayne Milera could be the man for the crows, but appears to have found his role down back.

Adelaide mid/fwd star Elijah Holland's for pick 1

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Darcy Fogarty

in all honesty i have no f**king clue who we are picking but if i had a gun to my head and had to pick who we are taking pick one and if i get it wrong im dead im picking thilthorpe. also with the north and hawks trade rumours this morning it puts more behind the thilthorpe at pick one trade. But what about Hollands? The rumours of us trying to trade back from 9 to GWS pick 13 and 15 indicated we are picking a tall at 1. The Thilthorpe pick is just a gut feel and when im picking with my gut i always pick the option i dont want so i dont get disappointed.
I think most of us are doing exactly the same thing. There maybe a few who are in the know or can have a more educated guess but it still a guess.

Clearly none of us got the selections correct. Forget trying to slot each pick into their right position...impossible. But one post did really well when you look just at the players picked in the draft and that was #rabidcrow who got 3 of our five new draftees correct. Many got both Borlase and Newchurch as CatB rookies but some messed that up as well. Some said we would either select Borlase or match for him using pick 40.

It just goes to show that even the most knowledgeable posters dont really know what goes on inside the club. So the next time you call another poster a f**kwit for his post just remember you might not be any smarter.

Clearly none of us got the selections correct. Forget trying to slot each pick into their right position...impossible. But one post did really well when you look just at the players picked in the draft and that was #rabidcrow who got 3 of our five new draftees correct. Many got both Borlase and Newchurch as CatB rookies but some messed that up as well. Some said we would either select Borlase or match for him using pick 40.

It just goes to show that even the most knowledgeable posters dont really know what goes on inside the club. So the next time you call another poster a f**kwit for his post just remember you might not be any smarter.

Thanks for the tag. Fun comp to have a guess. Summary of our draft and my picks:

TT - as I had posted had some info regarding his injury , that he had recovered and the club had been involved in getting opinions on treatment. This made me confident he would be number 1 - although if Hollands hadn’t done his ACL I would have hoped we chose him. Will be interested to see if Riley resumes full training with us straight away

Pedlar - linked with us strongly by the media and quickly rose up draft boards because of that late. Surprised we took him that high but seemed likely we had strong interest

Cook - thought he was a need and similar types (size forward-mid) would be choice between him and Ford

Berry - surprised we passed on Poulter which would have given me 4! I guess the club thinks Hateley brings what Poulter would have?

Rowe - completely blindsided. Don’t hate the pick as he was super impressive during SANFL finals but didn’t expect it. Would have loved to take Carroll here

Anyway we appear to have added a lot of potentially good players to our list so hopefully we see good signs next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back