Who wins our 2020 F&B?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Not just one in the top six but only two in the top 10.

With silver service from Nic Nat week in, week out.

Fold the club.

I reckon there's a direct correlation here. Our mids become far too reliant on Nic when he's there that they don't seem to work as hard.

2018 finals they all went next level, because they knew they had too.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Interesting a few players in the top 5, before the night I would've had:

1.Nic Nat
2.Shep
3.Kelly
4.Duggan
5.Ryan

If we're going to improve next year the top 5 needs to be Yeo, Kelly, Nic Nat, McGovern and Darling. Then you'd like to see Gaff, Duggan, Ryan, Barrass and Sheed.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Congrats NicNat, well deserved and good recognition of his importance and influence to the team.
All Australian and club B&F, pretty good year.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Also watching the coaches speech if highly recommended.
The video of Liam Ryan was special and shows how mentally tough the players are on the field and our own teams closeness.

Simmo ending with "Next year we need to be ruthless" was a nice closer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Part of me things it's still too heavily weighted towards games played, but I'm sure there is something about the best ability is availability and Gaffy played closed to 100% of game time in the 5 games in not long so he's probably worth another player on the list when he can do that.

Because he was terrible for the first half of the year. He was our best player the 2nd half of the year. That's why he came 6th his difference between his best games and worst games were large. At the end of the season he had no poor games he was elite in every game.

If you are talking impact on the team he should have finished 2nd behind Nic.
But that's not how B and Fs are voted on.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sold on him being terrible - he was quiet - but was also a forward starved of any football.

Part of me things it's still too heavily weighted towards games played, but I'm sure there is something about the best ability is availability and Gaffy played closed to 100% of game time in the 5 games in not long so he's probably worth another player on the list when he can do that.

Geelong amended theirs to allow for games off - especially as they were forcibly resting players.

Strike off the two lowest performing matches (excluding finals).

Allows for someone to be rested, small injury or week off with concussion. For those that play every game they get rewarded with their two lowest games being removed.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Thrilled for NN to get his maiden CC. This was a good season for him to have a decent crack at getting it. The Flagless Three placing is bemusing. I love Barrass & Duggan so enjoyed seeing them snatch top 5er recognition. Putting order aside, the top 10 group was about right. Sheed & Oscar can also hang their hat on their Brownlow polling.

If NN can maintain that formline next year he might even find himself in line for something like AA Captain.

Rotham was the right choice for emerging new talent, but will need to put a lot more runs on the board to fit in with the illustrious-to-solid company of previous winners. He'll be at the club longer than Jacob Brennan, Jaymie Graham, Shane Bond, Clape & Bellotti at the very least.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I reckon there's a direct correlation here. Our mids become far too reliant on Nic when he's there that they don't seem to work as hard.

2018 finals they all went next level, because they knew they had too.
I can't cite sources straight up because it's a fairly obscure thing but I've definitely read about it is as a known phenomenon (or at least a strongly proposed theory) in some sports, but I'm sure it seemed to apply mostly in sports with smaller team sizes such as basketball.

It's certainly a plausible theory as to what has happened to our midfield because the hunger just hasn't been there since 2018. Not on a consistent basis anyway. Not selling any state secrets here but we look great when we can play the game on our terms, but as soon as teams turn the pressure up - and the top teams like Richmond turn that pressure dial to absolute maximum - we just can't handle it. That definitely fits in with the above theory. In 2018 we knew we had to scrap and we did. In 2020, if NicNat gets nullified in the ball up, it's all a bit too hard.

But great reward for NicNat - he's been so good for us for a decade, and this is somewhat of a consolation prize (along with this years AA) after dealing with the injuries he has had to endure in the back half of his career and missing out on a flag. Lets hope the boys have the hunger to give him the full prize because he ******* deserves it.

As a slight aside, I know our B&F is geared towards players who play as many games as possible in a season, but surprised that was actually NicNat's first appearance in the top three.

The Flagless Three placing is bemusing.
Didn't notice that till you mentioned. I don't think it's worth reading too much into it, but quirky nonetheless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back