Who wins the Coleman Medal - Ben, Jack or Buddy?

The 2018 Coleman Medallist is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Lol at Snake's argument about Brown having missed out on 30 goals due to frees not being paid.

So how many goals have Buddy, Jack and Tom missed out on, considering their free count is roughly half of Brown's? Not sure about Riewoldt but the sheer physical size of Franklin and Hawkins means they're getting impinged on every second time they're in a contest. What's the take on them? Would they have kicked another 150 goals each using such a scientifically accurate measure
Well, of the three you mentioned, I think Jack and Tom miss out a bit more than Buddy. They all fare poorly in comparison to Brown though.

The one I noticed getting nothing was big Cox. Then Nathan spoke out, and he has been looked after the last two weeks.
Hopefully Dimma got his timing right with his outburst.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Well, of the three you mentioned, I think Jack and Tom miss out a bit more than Buddy. They all fare poorly in comparison to Brown though.

The one I noticed getting nothing was big Cox. Then Nathan spoke out, and he has been looked after the last two weeks.
Hopefully Dimma got his timing right with his outburst.
Hawkins is the one I think gets the roughest trot. I haven’t got the impression of Riewoldt being particularly hard done by.

We all pay more attention to forwards from our own team and probably mentally catalogue the missed ones far more than we do those for opposition forwards. There have been plenty Buddy hasn’t been paid this year but he’s also received a few soft ones. The same goes for all of them.

Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
I haven’t got the impression of Riewoldt being particularly hard done by.
It's a funny one. I was going to put it in the previous post. I reckon Buddy and Tom don't get the free kicks in the contest.
I think Jack is most impeded before the contest.

And as you say, you do notice your own player more.

Jase Cutler

All Australian
Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
i think they use points as a tie breaker so it ends up being pretty unlikely. i dont know respective points tallies but id suggest its still not going to happen.

I want to get this clarified; if 2 or more individuals get the same goals (at the top), the Coleman Medal does not split, like the Brownlow?

rmcq

????????????
Sep 6, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
i think they use points as a tie breaker so it ends up being pretty unlikely. i dont know respective points tallies but id suggest its still not going to happen.
Seriously, if they're going to use behinds, then they should SUBTRACT them. The whole point of a behind is to avoid a throw-in right next to goal. One of the risks of having a shot at goal is if you just miss, the opposition gets the ball.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
It's a funny one. I was going to put it in the previous post. I reckon Buddy and Tom don't get the free kicks in the contest.
I think Jack is most impeded before the contest.

And as you say, you do notice your own player more.

That's a good point.

And probably reflective of the differences between Jack and Tom in how they play inside 50. Hawkins likes to hold his ground a lot so gives the opportunity for opponents to cripple him as the hall arrives. Riewoldt likes to get out in front of his opponent and burn them so if they are going to impede him it will be in order to stop him getting that lead.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Seriously, if they're going to use behinds, then they should SUBTRACT them. The whole point of a behind is to avoid a throw-in right next to goal. One of the risks of having a shot at goal is if you just miss, the opposition gets the ball.

This

Looking at Buddy for example, his behind tally shows he has heaps more shots than his rivals. Now on one hand that indisputably proves that he can create opportunities like nobody else. No argument.
But it is also a symptom of the fact that he will have a ping at the sticks from just about anywhere and from time to time he does it at the cost of finding teammates in better position. Hawkins is one, and I know there are a lot of others, who's first instinct is often to try and find a teammate.

That's not a dig at Buddy by the way. Great players want to take the shot. But I think you'd find the others could significantly boost their behind tally as well if they backed themselves as often as Franklin does.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Excellent point. Unless a turnover is created from the kickout...

This

Looking at Buddy for example, his behind tally shows he has heaps more shots than his rivals. Now on one hand that indisputably proves that he can create opportunities like nobody else. No argument.
But it is also a symptom of the fact that he will have a ping at the sticks from just about anywhere and from time to time he does it at the cost of finding teammates in better position. Hawkins is one, and I know there are a lot of others, who's first instinct is often to try and find a teammate.

That's not a dig at Buddy by the way. Great players want to take the shot. But I think you'd find the others could significantly boost their behind tally as well if they backed themselves as often as Franklin does.

Buddy's also played 3 less games than Riewoldt and Brown

Games Played
J.Riewoldt 21
B.Brown 21
L.Franklin 18

Quite amazing that he's still in the hunt.

Back