Opinion Who wins the Premiership? (Updated poll - Updated for Prelims))

Who wins the 2020 Flag - Prelim finals onward

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 57 16.3%
  • Richmond Tigers

Votes: 154 44.1%
  • Geelong Cats

Votes: 102 29.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it a number of weeks ago and last night confirms it even more, if the WCE win already didn't. Not that its a big surprise seeing as though they've won 2 of the last 3 flags already. Richmond are the best. They stifle teams to death strangling them not letting them play their game. That's when they're not at their sizzling best as well as hunting players down and being hungry around the ball/contest.

We're witnessing one of the all time great sides. b2b and will be 3 of the last 4 flags.

No one is on their level. Not even close.

Their uncanny ability to peak when it matters reminds me of the Lions 01-04 side.

You did.....in Perth. Richmond at the G was the hardest match up of the year which you never had to play against.
We won 2 more games than you and had a 15% higher percentage in the home and away season.
I really don't know how you could argue anything different, when we were clearly considered the best team by a large margin that year as show by the premiership odds.

1 game doesn't define a season. Giants beat us by 49 and Cats beat us by 67 in Home and Away games last year yet they were not better teams. Return games are our specialty.

2017 Home and Away
Crows - L by 76
Giants - L by 3
Cats - L by 14

2017 Finals
Crows - W by 48 (124 point turnaround)
Giants - W by 36 (39 point turnaround)
Cats - W 51 (65 point turnaround)

2019 Home and Away
Giants - L by 49
Cats - L by 67

2019 Finals
Giants - W by 89 (138 point turnaround)
Cats - W by 19 (86 point turnaround)
Well if you can't get over the third best team on your home ground when it matters, you're evidently not the best team - are you?

All the above nonsense you spelled out there just shows me that you have derived great benefit from finals being arbitrarily played at your home ground.

I dont think we are near good enough, but if pies can find their groove and get Howe back with Degoey, Treloar.. and maybe Langdon? Could they have a crack?
Absolutely.

With West Coast looking as though they miss the top 4, we avoid them in the final series and Collingwood have every reason to go in very confident against every other team in the top 8.

Might be worth taking the $19 on offer at the moment, because once we win our next two games we'll go into every finals game as favourite, despite finishing outside the top 4.

Well if you can't get over the third best team on your home ground when it matters, you're evidently not the best team - are you?

All the above nonsense you spelled out there just shows me that you have derived great benefit from finals being arbitrarily played at your home ground.
Nah, see the best team is dictated by finals results, except of course if Richmond happen to lose a final, then it is dictated by ladder position at the end of the home and away season.

Absolutely.

With West Coast looking as though they miss the top 4, we avoid them in the final series and Collingwood have every reason to go in very confident against every other team in the top 8.

Might be worth taking the $19 on offer at the moment, because once we win our next two games we'll go into every finals game as favourite, despite finishing outside the top 4.

Very confident? Given you haven't won a flag while in your window I'm surprised. I'd have you as the sixth seed at best.

Winning finals games is what Collingwood do best, it's just that last game of the year where our strike rate ain't great...

and this thread is about winning that last game....

Their uncanny ability to peak when it matters reminds me of the Lions 01-04 side.
That's what it is.

For the last 4 seasons, in the first half of the year, Richmond have at times looked ordinary. Sometimes a few injuries, a lot of disinterested players, don't seem really motivated, loss of form and so on. Will they even make finals? And if they do will they just be making up numbers for week 1?
But come the second half of the year they just pick up, play their game style and start winning.
Come finals they have been virtually unstoppable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If by 'we' you mean Collingwood, I disagree. I have you winning against the GCS but losing to Port. If that happens it's likely WC finish 5th and Collingwood 8th. If so they will meet in Perth in finals week 1.

That's if you mean WC by 'them'. If you mean Richmond then with you in 8th, you meet them (Richmond) in a Prelim.

Last edited:
If by 'we' you mean Collingwood, I disagree. I have you winning against the GCS but losing to Port. If that happens it's likely WC finish 5th and Collingwood 8th. If so they will meet in Perth in finals week 1.

That's if you mean WC by 'them'. If you mean Richmond then with you in 8th, you meet them (Richmond) in a Prelim.
As a Collingwood supporter, I obviously refer to Collingwood when I say 'we'.

Given I mentioned West Coast, if I refer to 'them' in the same sentence, I'm clearly referring to West Coast.

Hope that makes sense.

BTW, your predictions aren't fact. So many permutations and combinations. Pies more likely to finish 6th or 7th rather than 8th.

Tigers have one hand on it already.

Port and Brissy the best chances of stopping them. Brissy will have a "coming of age" game at some point and get over a big team in a final, might aswell be this year when it's all in their state. Port have been top all year, deserve more respect.

Geelongs been my faves most the year but just can't shake the feeling they'll utensil it up in the finals.

Pies/Eagles if they get their numbers back and get on a run could cause trouble but not expecting alot from either.

Port and Brissy the best chances of stopping them. Brissy will have a "coming of age" game at some point and get over a big team in a final, might aswell be this year when it's all in their state. Port have been top all year, deserve more respect.

Geelongs been my faves most the year but just can't shake the feeling they'll utensil it up in the finals.

Pies/Eagles if they get their numbers back and get on a run could cause trouble but not expecting alot from either.

Come off it - what an understatement

The engraver has already engraved into the Premiership Cup R I C H M O N - he has just paused on the D

I reckon a lot of posters here, present company excepted, have their hand on it.

We're clearly in the box seat at the minute but you never know what might happen come finals - and we did lose to Port Adelaide this season already. Taking each week as it comes!

I think Richmond then Port then West Coast.

Can't see Brisbane or Geelong beating us in a final.

West Coast would have to get all their players back. But doesn't seem like they've had enough go right for them this year.

Back