List Mgmt. Who Won/Lost the 2019 Trade period.

Which team won the 2019 trade period?

• Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Carlton

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 24 6.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 30 8.4%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 29 8.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 87 24.4%
  • Sydney

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • Footscray

Votes: 69 19.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton and zeggie lost:

Some gems from 'zeggie' (carlton MOD):

"Looking forward to Papley relieving some more salary cap pressure for you.
He'll thrive at the Blues just like Newman has.
Unfortunately thanks to the AFL we'll have to wait another 5 days for trades to start trickling over."

"Please don't be upset this player has chosen us over you. It's nothing personal."

"He's contracted, he's publicly nominated us, we will ensure the trade gets over the line. The deal will get done.
To those referring to Gibbs, that was an entirely different situation. Young Reidy moved the clearly established and agreed goal posts on the last day of trading which caused the entire deal to fall over."

"The fact he toured our club this weekend gives a bit of an indication, lol."

"Well his heart is physically at Ikon Park this weekend, enjoying good discussions with our key staff and enjoying our facilities.
He's contracted for ages, so he's not touring and talking with us in an effort to get a higher contract offer from the Swans (ie. like what Gaff and Cogs did to several clubs). He's touring because he's keen and motivated to move."

IN TRUTH HE WAS WATCHING A FOOTBALL MATCH WITH HIS NAN

"Swans fans seem in denial. Paps is touring multiple clubs, spending his entire off season in Melbourne (where his partner lives).
What do you predict will happen?"

DID NOT TOUR ONE CLUB AND HAS BEEN OVERSEAS FOR SOME TIME WITH SWANS TEAMMATES

"I said if a player wants out, and nominates, he'll get to where he wants to go. Swans won't get a say.
He's coming to Melbourne. That I'm sure about.
If he nominates Carlton, he'll get to Carlton. If he nominates another team, he'll get to that team."

"It may not be Carlton. But he's coming to Melbourne.
Paps doesn't have 4 years remaining on his contract. It's a trigger Swans are threatening to activate. Big boy move."

"He's not in Melbourne for a "holiday".

"If he nominates, if Paps wants out, it will get done."

"Name a recent player, who wanted out, who nominated a club, and didn't eventually reach the club, same or otherwise, of their choosing.
Go on."

TOM PAPLEY

"Which logic is troubling you?
That players that want out get to where they want?"

"If Paps wants out. It gets done.
Gibbs was happy to stay.
Nice try."

"*If* Papley wants out, if Papley nominates a specific team, it will get done.
Pleeeenty of recent examples. Any example it didn't occur was because the player was happy to stay either way. ie. Kelly.
Otherwise you'll face a Cam McCarthy or Ryder type situation and nobody wants that."

"Papley will nominate where he wants to go, if he wants to go. If he does then it will be done."

"Ah yes, because in the recent history of AFL trade periods contracted players never get to their desired destination. Never ever. Lol.
Are you new?"

"I have a feeling the only experience in negotiation that some posters on here have is buying a TV from Harvey Norman..."

"Pick 8 gets this done if Paps wants.
You'll draft some more kids and trade in some cheap nobodies as usual. Just like you've done for the past 4 years."

"Papley triggered the option in the second half of this year. Not the Swans. If he did so with no intention of leaving then Paps or his management would be vocal about it right now. They aren't.
Clearly a tactical move. Swans either swallow what he'll cost now, or they trade him now and cash in."

THE PLEASURE HAS BEEN ALL MINE
:straining:
:poo::p

Collingwood the biggest losers could have traded more players massive salary cap dump needed to fit Grundy Moore and DeGoey under the salary cap next year or though the kept Elliott so not all bad for the Pies
Not necessary to trade more players out. Aish was on heaps for some reason.

Wells is gone and next year is the last of Mayne's big one.

Elliott also rebuffed larger offers for unders.

Think he may have picked one up earlier in the week.
Bloke has played a few games, kicked a few goals.

Did you miss that?

Socrates2, writing philosophy in crayon since 2015.

Am I the only one who reads his username as So-crates like in Bill and Ted?

Winners:
Bulldogs - Two quality players for cheap that fill needs
West Coast - Advanced flag chances
Geelong - Did well all round from a bad starting point
Hawthorn - Low risk with potential high reward
North Melbourne - Liked their pick swap

Neutral / the jury is out:
St Kilda - Most active trade period yes, but gave up a lot and some question marks over the guys that have been brought in. Paying Hill a lot.
Richmond - Quiet, didn't let anyone valuable go
Brisbane - Maybe some good pickups, not sure yet
Collingwood - Quiet, need to retain list and get good injury run
Gold Coast - Brought some ok players in, but still can't attract a Crouch type quality
GWS - Jacobs good pick up, didn't like the pick swap not sure where they are placed to draft Greene
Port - Losing Howard a blow but I like the pick swap

Losers:
Melbourne - Didn't seem to fill needs, didn't like pick swap unless they have a grand plan
Carlton - Unless they get Martin for free
Essendon - Haven't advanced their position, will be costly if Daniher leaves
Sydney - Didn't add much
Adelaide - Lost guys, didn't get good value for them
Freo - Lost some good players, not sure if Aish or Acres are any good. Inability to even be in the convo for Kelly

I know most are raving about the Saints but I'm struggling with seeing St Kilda doing that well to be honest. Very active but gave up a lot and did not seem to get an equal value back in. West Coast traded for a flag and have some good youth coming though in Allen and Brander but I still think they need more midfield depth with Shuey nearly 30. Richmond and the Pies quiet, Richmond didn't need to do too much really and losing Ellis won't hurt, I thought the pies would have a crack at a key forward. Hawthorn did well getting Patton for next to nothing , if he is fit he will kick 50. Adelaide, Carlton, Essendon, Sydney were basket cases this trade period . Freo losing Hill and Langdon with no youngbloods that will fill the void was a mistake IMO.

those who think we won are clearly misguided. we lost both hill and langdon 2nd and 5th in our bnf at their prime. once they both decided to leave this was always going to be a losing period.
the only challenge we had was to try minimise the damage by getting so called overs.
I dont think we got that. also, I'm unhappy we got aish and acres. those 2 were only a last minute afterthought and we actually did them a favour by offering them 3 yrs each when they're both not only fringe players at their teams. no way either of them would have been in the starting 22 round 1 next year and feels like we've been sold a lemon to help other clubs with their list spots and salary issue.
and it was quite clear they didnt want to come to us but couldnt turn down the money.
yea no way we won this trade period. replaced hill and langdon with acres and aish, i liken it to trading in a 2019 bugatti for a 1992 holden barina.
fingers crossed the high picks we received turn out great. thats the only way we'd have a win here. but we won't know that for another 5 yrs....

those who think we won are clearly misguided. we lost both hill and langdon 2nd and 5th in our bnf at their prime. once they both decided to leave this was always going to be a losing period.
the only challenge we had was to try minimise the damage by getting so called overs.
I dont think we got that. also, I'm unhappy we got aish and acres. those 2 were only a last minute afterthought and we actually did them a favour by offering them 3 yrs each when they're both not only fringe players at their teams. no way either of them would have been in the starting 22 round 1 next year and feels like we've been sold a lemon to help other clubs with their list spots and salary issue.
and it was quite clear they didnt want to come to us but couldnt turn down the money.
yea no way we won this trade period. replaced hill and langdon with acres and aish, i liken it to trading in a 2019 bugatti for a 1992 holden barina.
fingers crossed the high picks we received turn out great. thats the only way we'd have a win here. but we won't know that for another 5 yrs....
I was actually going to make a thread on why I think Fremantle will make the finals next year at some point, from an outsiders perspective I thought they showed great potential this year, I mean if you can beat three of the top four teams then you know you're capable of finals football. After 2018 I was really starting to wonder where the rebuild was supposed to be going, or even if it was going anywhere, but the Dockers made a good response in 2019, and even though the season was a disappointment, after all, they still took a step forward. I think their biggest issue this year was coaching, I never had much belief in Ross after 2018, but I just don't think he was a very good coach for the younger guys, which is why Fyfe and Walters stood out so much. It seemed like the team would always crumble when they weren't being carried by the elite players, and Ross didn't seem to be doing anything to fix this, but I think under Justin Longmuir, Fremantle is capable of opening a premiership window again in these next couple of years. That might sound like a stretch, but if they can find the finishing touch they will be dangerous. At the very least I am almost certain that Fremantle should be a better team in 2020. And losing a couple of old guys might hurt a bit, but it shouldn't be the night and day difference.

And losing a couple of old guys might hurt a bit, but it shouldn't be the night and day difference.

But hill is 26 and langdon 23. Combined with losing a 26yr old neale last year, that's 3 of our 6 best players in the prime of their careers.

it's a big hole to fill and I expect us to struggle this year until others step up. not complaining as I'm happy Ross is gone. I'm being realistic is all.

Exactly, Geelong continued their recent finals dominance over the Eagles, who aren't really on the Cats level.
If and when West Coast have lost as many finals as Geelong has under Chris Scott, only then will they be at your level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But hill is 26 and langdon 23. Combined with losing a 26yr old neale last year, that's 3 of our 6 best players in the prime of their careers.

it's a big hole to fill and I expect us to struggle this year until others step up. not complaining as I'm happy Ross is gone. I'm being realistic is all.
That's why I think a new coach is going to help to fill the hole, under Ross the younger players relied too much on the old guys to get the job done, which is why they sometimes played like a top-four team and other times like a bottom four team. A new coach should help balance the team out and make it more consistent. The experience loss will hurt a bit, but they got Lobb and Hogan the previous year, so its not like they're short of any experience.

Back