List Mgmt. Who Won/Lost the 2019 Trade period.

Which team won the 2019 trade period?

• Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Carlton

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • Fremantle

Votes: 24 6.7%
  • Geelong

Votes: 30 8.4%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 29 8.1%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 20 5.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 87 24.4%
  • Sydney

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • West Coast

Votes: 47 13.2%
  • Footscray

Votes: 69 19.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jenkins was terrible he was getting beaten by weekend warriors in the SANFL most if the year he was drop back there 2 or 3 times before he spat the chewy and decided not to play

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I know, hence why it's staggering that the Cats gave up a second round pick for him. Shrewd trading from your side.

Saints gave away a gun forward, gun mid (albeit old and has mental health issues) and future top draft picks for ready made players. They have tried a formula that has been proven not to work, especially when you factor in they haven't made the 8 for years. I don't think they've won the trade period at all.

Hard to look past the Bulldogs, West Coast and Hawthorn as teams that have successfully addressed needs and not sold the farm in the process (West Coast HAD to pounce on Kelly - no question about that).

Bulldogs issues are still the same. Mediocre forward and defense. Saints had no issues rolling you in the late part of the season which would not have been possible if your team is as good as you think.

Gun forward is a stretch. I love Bruce and am not impressed with the trade, however i'll trust in the blokes running the club. They believe Ryder and Marshall rotating forward along with Max King will cover Bruces output. Monster upgrade on the spare rucking as well as Bruce was poor at it. As Max gets games into him he would of pushed Bruce out of the side within two years.

Steven barely played this year and doesn't want to be at the club. We racked up 9 wins this year regardless.

Acres would be playing seconds next year if he stayed. Freo will play him in their 22. win/win.

Dogs did really well refusing to budge and paid unders for two solid pickups. Be happy with what you got.

I know, hence why it's staggering that the Cats gave up a second round pick for him. Shrewd trading from your side.

Shrewd Trading???????

Reid had his fingers, toes, legs crossed hopeful at least one club would take him, otherwise we were out of pocket $550K per year whilst he holidayed for the next two years

I reckon he slipped Wells a backhander personally just to take him

Saints gave away a gun forward, gun mid (albeit old and has mental health issues) and future top draft picks for ready made players. They have tried a formula that has been proven not to work, especially when you factor in they haven't made the 8 for years. I don't think they've won the trade period at all.

Hard to look past the Bulldogs, West Coast and Hawthorn as teams that have successfully addressed needs and not sold the farm in the process (West Coast HAD to pounce on Kelly - no question about that).

Future TOP draft picks? Lol what

Carlisles next to useless up forward. By some accounts Howard isn't much better. Howard was drafted to replace Nathan Brown and will be a clear upgrade.
Their best football is in defence, but I'm saying if the Saints require a glass breaker, similar to Hooker for the Bombers, they can stack up the two in the forward to make it taller. I guess it will come down to how their new coaching plays out.

I don't like at Carlton having Silvagni making list decisions that benefit his two children. Dan Butler and other small fowards could have been traded in, but SOS did'nt make an offer, ensuring Jack Silvagni keeps his spot in the team.Am I the only person that thinks this is unethical?

Hawks went in looking for a key forward and a key defender and came out with a key forward and a key defender and all our picks.

Pittonet is a loss for us and gain for Carlton. Carlton will again have to rely on an ageing list (look at the top 5 in their B and F).

Freo have big shoes to fill but plenty of draft picks. So too Geelong.

Saints and West Coast paid up big but got their targets so will be happy.

Melbourne and Adelaide and Port and Sydney didnt do anything to suggest they will rise.

GWS offloaded salary cap but will again struggle with ruck and small forwards.

Richmond were in party mode so there is only some nude pics of dusty being traded.
Just in regards to Carlton's aging list and our top 5 bnf. Casboult and Ed Curnow are older sure but Walsh Plowman and Cripps aren't old by any stretch. We have a couple of older guys helping the young boys but it's not an aging list mate.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Missed the point again. We had five picks under 37 and limited list spots, so we traded pick 37 for Jenkins + Gold Coast's 3rd round pick in 2020, which if they finish last is 37. We needed to find a way to trade our picks into next years draft anyway, so in essence Jenkins was the freebie that allowed us to do so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the point again. We had five picks under 37 and limited list spots, so we traded pick 37 for Jenkins + Gold Coast's 3rd round pick in 2020, which if they finish last is 37. We needed to find a way to trade our picks into next years draft anyway, so in essence Jenkins was the freebie that allowed us to do so.

It's hardly rocket surgery is it? Not sure why so many don't understand this deal.

-Eagles got the best player available this year so imo them. Makes them a better side and weakened a rival.

-Doggies got a couple of bookends to complement the kids and the strong midfield, they should be pushing top 4.

-Saints got all 5 players they set out to get without giving up next years first. A pretty good haul.

-Cats were always going to lose Kelly so can't do much there, so we got some value by picking up Steven who at his best will be a decent replacement for Kelly and Jenkins is our first proper KPF since Jpod left. Both cheap pickups and their older clubs both paying some of their wages. Got 4 picks under 36 to hit the draft and bring in some kids.

Bulldogs issues are still the same. Mediocre forward and defense. Saints had no issues rolling you in the late part of the season which would not have been possible if your team is as good as you think.

Gun forward is a stretch. I love Bruce and am not impressed with the trade, however i'll trust in the blokes running the club. They believe Ryder and Marshall rotating forward along with Max King will cover Bruces output. Monster upgrade on the spare rucking as well as Bruce was poor at it. As Max gets games into him he would of pushed Bruce out of the side within two years.

Steven barely played this year and doesn't want to be at the club. We racked up 9 wins this year regardless.

Acres would be playing seconds next year if he stayed. Freo will play him in their 22. win/win.

Dogs did really well refusing to budge and paid unders for two solid pickups. Be happy with what you got.
Dogs were the 3rd highest scoring team last year, and just added an above average KPF. I don't think the forward problems remain the same, other than a lack of pressure.

Im super surprised with the number of essendon fans being happy with this trade period. I thought it was poor. And sure they didnt lose anything but to make the next step they had to gain something.

Essendon fans need to ask themselves the question... Can they win the premiership next year. Take into account the 3 other sides in elim finals this year. One of those made a grand final and have a far superior list (GWS). WB got 2 very handy bookends and have improved their list considerably. The other (WCE) have won a premiership recently and now have gained a top 10 midfielder in the AFL (Kelly).

They arent going to go past any of Rich, Geel, Coll, Bris either. I don't see enough progression from their 18-22 years old to make a huge step.

They needed to get on the front foot. Fair enough asking for a really good deal for Daniher. But in the end 5+9 or 9+future first (from a bottom 6 side) should have been accepted. In regards to Daniher, if any club offered 5+9 for Bontempelli (after hypothetically missing 2 seasons in a row), I'd seriously consider the deal. 5+9 would have given them a great draft hand or enough ammo to make a serious play for Wines+more. Then they could have used some discount forwards (such as Patton, Jenkins, Bruce) who all went cheaply to stop gap, until they have a serious crack at King/Cameron

Essendon went into damage control. They came out losing nothing but they so desperately needed to gain something (especially considering clubs around them made some major moves) and they got nothing.

Id be equally critical of Port but at least they can say that 5 top 20 picks will have come into the team into 2 seasons. Over 2018/2019 essendon wont have had brought in any top 30 talent through the draft.

I just dont understand the logic. Granted Dodoro logic to push the deals to really late (and play hardball) has worked before. But the arrogance has capsized the ship this year and as a result essendon are going absolutely nowhere.

You’d have to say Carlton are the biggest losers for now. This was the year they needed to add some more mature quality, they had their targets set and didn’t get it done. Feel like they weren’t too different from the Bulldogs this period. Identified their targets early and set reasonable prices for them but things didn’t fall their way. St Kilda landed all their targets and where happy to let Bruce go, Sydney didn’t land their targets and held Papley to his contract. Adelaide played hardball for a while but eventually settled with losing him for a reasonable deal rather than losing him for nothing, Gold Coast for some reason decided they’d rather lose Martin for nothing rather than what currently looks like about 20 and 40 next year. If they are able to land Martin for free during the PSD then they’ve done a fairly decent job, at least added one of their targets, have a top 10 pick and will still have their assets next year to target Papley again or another readymade talent. Butler would’ve been a good cheap fit for them I think, probably made an error focusing too much on the guys they couldn’t end up getting in when it looked like a pretty simple deal that the Saints got.

West Coast the winners in my opinion. Added an a-grade quality midfielder while they are in the window. Sure they had to give up a little bit but they are going to be stacked in the next few years. I’m taking the AA midfielder over two picks in the 15 area, 24 and 33 every time. If we ever see a fit Nic Nat again with a midfield of Shuey (29), Yeo (26), Kelly (25) and Sheed (24), that’s a tasty midfield considering their strengths at either end of the ground.

I don't like at Carlton having Silvagni making list decisions that benefit his two children. Dan Butler and other small fowards could have been traded in, but SOS did'nt make an offer, ensuring Jack Silvagni keeps his spot in the team.Am I the only person that thinks this is unethical?

This post just shoots the lights out on a scale of dumb.........

If you're going to troll, put some more effort in. This effort is shocking.

Just in regards to Carlton's aging list and our top 5 bnf. Casboult and Ed Curnow are older sure but Walsh Plowman and Cripps aren't old by any stretch. We have a couple of older guys helping the young boys but it's not an aging list mate.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Average age of Carlton's top 5 is 2 years higher than Hawthorn.

We can talk about which club won but undoubtably there is only one single truth.

Wells slaughtered this years trade week given the hand he had.

Extracted far more draft picks for kelly then anyone would of expected.

Effectively traded zac smith for jack steven. Even geelong supporters thought we should of given up more.

Traded pick 37 for jenkins plus a pick that with academy selections will end up being around pick 37 next year. Effectively he got jenkins for free. An extra key forward geelong desperately needs. And we got jenkins to take a pay cut and for adelaide to pay a large share of his salary.

Wells trade week was a masterpiece. A piece of art with layers. Like a banana with more than one skin.

Kept geelongs top 4 ambitions open whilst simultaneously significantly improving our draft position for the next two years.

He has improved the now and the future.

I criticize our list strategy a lot. But this needs a standing ovation. So lets all give one to wells.

Saints big winners? Tell me again what picks they are taking to the draft in 2019 & 2020? No trading chips for next year either, 2021 trade period before they can do anything again, it'll be a long two years IMO.

Dogs, Geelong and Hawks were winners.

Saints have next years first.

Back