Who won the Judd/Kennedy trade?

Who won the Judd/Kennedy trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Also depends if Josh Kennedy has sons and how they turn out

Actual school photo:
36E7594A00000578-3725362-image-a-74_1470401644283.jpg

Probably a draw. West Coast would have won easily if they had have actually drafted a good player or 2 with the picks instead of a very ordinary Masten and a dud in Notte.

Masten's shitness is magnified but the fact he's such a plonker. He's OK, but the s**t tatts and s**t haircut top it off.

We loaded up on mids that draft after losing Judd and Cousins and ended up with Masten, Ebert and Scott Selwood. All are AFL standard players (Ebert left after 4 years, Selwood after 8) but really we needed one to be a real hit. You'd take Danger and no one over those three guys today - with the benefit of hindsight, obviously.

We were keen on Callan Ward but the Dogs pipped us with pick 19 and we took Tony Notte. Still to this day don't know why we did that. Easy to say we should've taken Jack Steven or Easton Wood who were picked in the 40s but I don't recall anyone talking up Notte let alone at pick 20, and even through a long career at WAFL level he never struck me as AFL standard at any stage.

Geez people overate the odds of the father son connection.

The vast majority of gun player's fathers weren't gun footballers and the vast majority gun player's sons didn't turn out to be gun footballers.

The odds of any of the players involved in this trade having sons that are even draftable is extremely low, never mind being top player, which is so low its not even worth considering.

Masten's shitness is magnified but the fact he's such a plonker. He's OK, but the s**t tatts and s**t haircut top it off.

We loaded up on mids that draft after losing Judd and Cousins and ended up with Masten, Ebert and Scott Selwood. All are AFL standard players (Ebert left after 4 years, Selwood after 8) but really we needed one to be a real hit. You'd take Danger and no one over those three guys today - with the benefit of hindsight, obviously.

We were keen on Callan Ward but the Dogs pipped us with pick 19 and we took Tony Notte. Still to this day don't know why we did that. Easy to say we should've taken Jack Steven or Easton Wood who were picked in the 40s but I don't recall anyone talking up Notte let alone at pick 20, and even through a long career at WAFL level he never struck me as AFL standard at any stage.
Yeah 07 was a pretty weak draft, there wasn't much quality past 20 anyway.

WC won the trade in my eyes. Judd was always going to be a gun, he was no risk at all. At the time, if your team got Judd, he was going to be an absolute gun, there was no doubts. But at that time, no one knew about Kennedy. If the Blues had a crystal ball, who knows, maybe they would have looked at trading someone else, or getting the deal done some other way.

I think people gloss over how s**t Carlton were.

2002-2007 (pre Judd): 3, 4, 10, 4, 3, 4 wins.
2008-2012 (with Judd): 10, 13, 11, 14, 11 wins.

On-field Judd helped turn Carlton around immediately, and off-field being able to buy the best player in the comp (at the time) brought back the old 'We are Carlton, * the rest' swagger which was important off-field. Getting Judd was a big win for Carlton. Losing him was a kick in the nuts for us, but once a player says 'I'm out, trade me here' it becomes about damage minimisation rather than trying to sell to a market. I'm rapt Kennedy turned out so well but with picks 3 & 20 it's not really Carlton's concern how we used those picks.

Ultimately what killed Carlton wasn't signing Judd or giving up Kennedy but thinking they were better than they were and the poor list management that went with that. Losing a 20 year old who becomes one of the top key forwards in the game 4 or 5 years later hurts, but losing a 28 year old key forward coming off an 89 goal season and your first finals appearance in 8 years hurts more. At one stage they had Kreuzer, Hampson, Jacobs, Warnock as the future of their ruck division and Betts, Garlett, Yarran up forward. Now they have Kreuzer. And their goals come from... Matthew Wright?

Bolton seems to be doing a good job but he has a lot of work ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton needed Fev up and running to make that trade work. He left he club, and that was that. West Coast won the trade because they played off in a grand final, and still have the chance to do so again, and again - especially now Mitchell is fixing up their tunnel vision. But West Coast did waste a pick on Masten - who is a very ordinary footballer. Slow, and ineffective.

What if Judd became Carlton president then led the club into a successful era? This debate could run for another decade or two.

Longer. Judd is on the board for the next 15 years, leading us to glory. THEN his sons go to Carlton as FS picks and lead us to further glory for yet another 15 years.

Remind me to revisit this thread (and BigFooty) 30 years from now.

FWIW, this trade was the definition of a draw. No losers. The only way you will ever get a more even trade will be if two clubs swap players and each club win 1 each of the next 2 premierships.

Eagles made a grand final on the back of the 2 they got from that trade

Carlton languished in the bottom
8 (with a slight aberration a few yrs ago)

VERY kind to Masten. WCE win the trade, I think Carlton would've been better off keeping Kennedy and their picks and continuing with the rebuild. Not saying he wasn't massive for them but it seemed all the eggs went into that basket.

Longer. Judd is on the board for the next 15 years, leading us to glory. THEN his sons go to Carlton as FS picks and lead us to further glory for yet another 15 years.

Remind me to revisit this thread (and BigFooty) 30 years from now.
Won't.B.Worth.Da.Waite IMO

West Coast won the trade because they played off in a grand final, and still have the chance to do so again, and again - especially now Mitchell is fixing up their tunnel vision.

Eagles will not play in a Grand Final for the next 3 years+.

Only reason they even have a chance is due to the fact that they are so hard to beat at home in WA and get home town umpiring in front of feral home crowds but go to water when away from home.

Top 4 finish = 2 Home finals and then a drubbing away from home outside of the comfort zone.

#frauds #WAorbust

Back