Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
I was thinking it might be interesting to have thread to discuss historical Pie trades....

For example, Jaidyn Stephenson was traded to North for Pick 26 and an upgrade from pick 39 to 33 (I'm ignoring the value for Atu).

And another associated one, Tom Phillips was traded to pick 65.....

And to finish the trifecta, Treloar went for a pick 14 and an exchange of lower picks...

Of course, there was a measure of salary dumping in each of those....but a couple of years later, who won the trades? I think most would argue at least 2 out of 3 for the Pies....

I read yesterday that Peter Moore was traded to Melbourne for $150,000, which would be well in excess of a million bucks in today's money. Did Melb win that trade?

There must be other trades out there that people want to revisit...I always think it's impossible to judge on the day of the trade. Better to let the dust settle.

Doc1763

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was thinking it might be interesting to have thread to discuss historical Pie trades....

For example, Jaidyn Stephenson was traded to North for Pick 26 and an upgrade from pick 39 to 33 (I'm ignoring the value for Atu).

And to finish the trifecta, Treloar went for a pick 14 and an exchange of lower picks...

Of course, there was a measure of salary dumping in each of those....but a couple of years later, who won the trades? I think most would argue at least 2 out of 3 for the Pies....

I read yesterday that Peter Moore was traded to Melbourne for $150,000, which would be well in excess of a million bucks in today's money. Did Melb win that trade?

There must be other trades out there that people want to revisit...I always think it's impossible to judge on the day of the trade. Better to let the dust settle.
Not if we spent any of the $150,000 on Gary Shaw.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood

Definitely won the Stevo trade, he was a spud on the field and even more of a flog off it. So culture wise big win there. Not sure about Phillips depends if we paid any of his salary. If not then I say we win again.

Treloar hurts…had he played this year it may have been a different story. What a stuff up.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
tay adams for heath shaw?

Finn Jim

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Stevo is too early to call for mine. If Clarko gets North in shape and suddenly they are playing Septembers with him as their gun, I think they win the trade.

If the criteria is first team to win a flag post-trade, both clubs might not know the outcome for awhile, although I'd say at the moment Collingwood is a Flemington straight and then some ahead right now

Lower picks, but included a couple second rounders. Effectively we only improved our third round pick. Obviously the intent was for the dogs to pay most of his wages, but we stupidly didn’t have that in writing before submitting the paperwork.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Lower picks, but included a couple second rounders. Effectively we only improved our third round pick. Obviously the intent was for the dogs to pay most of his wages, but we stupidly didn’t have that in writing before submitting the paperwork.

yeh probably a fair trade if they shouldered the back-ended contract....

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

Youre an expert, line up the beams out trade with the beams in trade and make an overall judgement....if thats possible..

Youre an expert, line up the beams out trade with the beams in trade and make an overall judgement....if thats possible..
If I remember correctly the first time was the pick used for DeGoey, 25 that was traded for Greenwood and Crisp with a late pick going back to the lions. The second time was two first rounders out for Beams and later picks that we could use for points to match a bid on Quaynor.

Pleasedontfail11

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 racing
Definitely won the Stevo trade, he was a spud on the field and even more of a flog off it. So culture wise big win there. Not sure about Phillips depends if we paid any of his salary. If not then I say we win again.

Treloar hurts…had he played this year it may have been a different story. What a stuff up.
Ask North fans if they would trade him for pick 20 and see what they say.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
If I remember correctly the first time was the pick used for DeGoey, 25 that was traded for Greenwood and Crisp with a late pick going back to the lions. The second time was two first rounders out for Beams and later picks that we could use for points to match a bid on Quaynor.

gee i was looking for a scientific appraisal. I was too lazy to look it all up...

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams

42 we could use your skills in the whipping thread....we need people to give grundy and henry some abuse as they go out the door...

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
E had a year to go on decent contract and we weren't going to be able to offer him a new decent contract the following season

you know the funny thing with all these kindly acts by footy clubs, is that they dont seem to sink in to the players that they're getting a good deal. I dont know if buddy was quibbling about cash, but he was strutting around all week about how he got through the 9 year contract, but HOW MANY GAMES DID HE PLAY? eh? he didnt played at all in 2020... played half a season before that...I think players are getting a good deal out of these contracts...

and no one change the topic....i was just having a whinge..

Back