Who won the trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

We definitely won the first Beam trade, we got Crispy and someone else 😂

From memory didn’t we get Trav Varcoe in a three way trade that involved the Dees, cats and us? I think a ruckman went to the cats who maybe played 1 or 2 games??
The memory is a bit shot but that’s a vague recollection. If so we did very well with that one too.

Last one Roughead trade for pick 76 I think, 😂 yep that was a win.

We definitely won the first Beam trade, we got Crispy and someone else 😂

From memory didn’t we get Trav Varcoe in a three way trade that involved the Dees, cats and us? I think a ruckman went to the cats who maybe played 1 or 2 games??
The memory is a bit shot but that’s a vague recollection. If so we did very well with that one too.

Last one Roughead trade for pick 76 I think, 😂 yep that was a win.
That someone else was pick 5 and we selected JDG.

When Eade took Witts to the Suns we were done like dinner I cannot remember what we got for him but for a 23 yr old ruck it was not enough.

I also felt we got the wrong end of the Pineapple when Saverio was delisted we did not even try to trade him,Beams mark 1 was fantastic but christ we were shafted on his return.

Lower picks, but included a couple second rounders. Effectively we only improved our third round pick. Obviously the intent was for the dogs to pay most of his wages, but we stupidly didn’t have that in writing before submitting the paperwork.
If it's true that we thought the Dogs were going to pay most/all of his contract, this is one of the worst trade blunders in history (I know the club complained about this, so definitely some truth, I'm just not sure on the exact details of the salary difference).

Amateur stuff that we didn't have that in writing before agreeing to the deal.

On the plus side, we should now know better when dealing with Melbourne for Grundy.

Hertier to the Dees, Varcoe to us and Mitch Clark to Geel.

The original Beams trade was perfect. Was so annoyed we tarnished that by bringing Beams back - didn't like the idea of bringing him back from the beginning, mostly because I was never a big fan.

Better utilising those two FRP (one pretty much a free hit due to IQ) and the cap space for an actual player of need (turned out, actual player full stop) could have made a big difference. Was the chance to potentially make up for one of Berg or Freeman. Huge missed opportunity.

The original Beams trade was perfect. Was so annoyed we tarnished that by bringing Beams back - didn't like the idea of bringing him back from the beginning, mostly because I was never a big fan.

Better utilising those two FRP (one pretty much a free hit due to IQ) and the cap space for an actual player of need (turned out, actual player full stop) could have made a big difference. Was the chance to potentially make up for one of Berg or Freeman. Huge missed opportunity.

I was genuinely surprised that we paid so much for Beams back, I thought we were in a Chris Tarrant type trade situation. Madness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tay adams for heath shaw?

We lost that trade when it was made. And we are still losing that trade and Heater has been retired for two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F**k Beams (second go), honestly. What a toss that was.

Tarrant for Medhurst, Ben Reid and Goldsack though, MASSIVE win.

We got smashed at the trade table that year based off the worth and values at the time.

Treloar especially we got dudded.
I would also argue Stephenson although he has fell off a cliff at the time was a Rising star winning top 6 pick. Not often they got for a packet of chips like we received.

Apart from the very obvious ones (eg: Beams trade) trades are becoming so complex that it’s getting impossible to judge anymore.

We could trade an average player for pick 31, pick 31 becomes a star and we appear to win the trade. But what if we upgrade that pick 31 for pick 29, and pick 29 becomes a dud and we appear to lose the trade? That makes no sense.

And how do you account for players responding better to change of environment? Seedsman became a much better player for Crows than he ever projected being for us.

Apart from the very obvious ones (eg: Beams trade) trades are becoming so complex that it’s getting impossible to judge anymore.

We could trade an average player for pick 31, pick 31 becomes a star and we appear to win the trade. But what if we upgrade that pick 31 for pick 29, and pick 29 becomes a dud and we appear to lose the trade? That makes no sense.

And how do you account for players responding better to change of environment? Seedsman became a much better player for Crows than he ever projected being for us.

It's true that some of the trades appear to be almost deliberately too complex...as if the clubs are almost trying to hide their tracks.

The other issue is that clubs might get lucky and nab a star with pick 40 and appear to win the trade....I think thats just part of judging the success of the trade. The crisp steak knives made the beams trade successful one way...

talking about the beams trade, i'm going to look closely at those two first rounders when beams returned, and assess the whole thing in total...that is coming in an exciting future post that will have people on the edge of their seats. Of course you could do the work 76 and increase your popularity. I was looking for people to investigate some of the detail in these trades rather than just bag them or say they were a win.

For example rather than referring to the fire sale of a couple of years ago, look at the trades individually. The tom phillips trade was a win, especially with the salary dump. Stephenson trade is currently a win. The treloar trade was probably fair if WB took the salary responsibility. In the end, it wasnt a fire sale and a lot of people got overly excited by it all.

Jack Crisp trade was a win. We netted De Goey in that year‘s draft

The original Beams trade was perfect.

With the benefit of hindsight, sure.

But nobody thought it was “perfect” as the time. Where do you reckon Crisp got the nickname “steak knives” from?

With the benefit of hindsight, sure.

But nobody thought it was “perfect” as the time. Where do you reckon Crisp got the nickname “steak knives” from?

It was a bloody good trade even at the time with pick 7 ( DeGoey ) and 20 something ( Greenwood)…even if the steak Knives had turned out to be blunt.

so the beams return trade

1664099451204.png

so the 2019 pick was pick 18 in the end, which the power used on mitch georgiades, which we cant really factor in because we mightnt have picked him

So the initial trade

1664099671036.png

So overall

so we lost beams for 4 years and we paid 2 X pick 18, pick 56, pick 67

and in return we got crisp, pick 5, pick 25, pick 41 and pick 44.

So we got a couple of games from beams but he was basically useless.

so is 2 X pick 18, pick 56, pick 67 > crisp, pick 5, pick 25, pick 41 and pick 44?

no way on earth did the Pies lose the overall trade.....especially when you throw in de goey and greenwood as the players drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back