Who Would Be The Best Replacement For Gilchrist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mags

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 14, 2000
Melbourne
Other Teams
Collingwood and Newcastle
Im not doubt gilly for a minute. I like him and rate him alot!

But if Gilly was to get injured and need to be rested who would be the best standby keeper to stand up!

I would say Brad Haddin as he plays alot like Gilchirst a touch. He can opening bat as well.

i dont think there is to much doubt that berry is the best keeper going around
even better than gilchrist

but obviously the selectors are looking for someone who bats, this side of berry's game is good but not to the standards of gilchrist
i think they have done the right thing going this way

mags ryan campbell is the next keeper in line
he can bat
and has an acb contract so obviously the selectors hold him in high regard and see him as the next best thing

Agree Walshy, most everyone who knows acknowledge that Berrys the best keeper in the Country and by some way too. But his batting though improved still falls short of what the selectors require. If Gillie were to miss a test for injury or whatever, it wouldnt suprise me to see Ponting take the gloves for a single test. Anymore than that they would bring in someone else though.

• Banned
I know Berry is the best keeper in the country! And i have wanted him to get in the test side for a while now but i dont see that happeining.

Ryan Campbell is also a class act as well but he doesnt seem ready for International duties. Campbell isnt even a real keeper he is a stand in one for Gilchirst when he isnt able to play domestic cricket.

Saying Ryan Campbell is like saying Ponting or Langer should Keep. Coz they can both do wicketkeeping.

Im sticking with Haddin with wanting Berry too.

Mags

It will be interesting to see who the ACB selectors pick as the reserve wicket keeper to England. I'm so used to seeing a WA keeper being the reserve so it will be good to see Gilly in the Number 1 spot this time.

I think Wade Seccombe will get the nod, purely on his experience at Shield level...however Berry did travel to England last time so he'd definately be in with a chance. Haddin's a roughie but I think he'd be more of a realistic chance in 2003. Ryan Campbell is more suited to one day cricket as an explosive opener, he might take over Mark Waughs role when he retires or fill in for Gilchrist if he's ill.

How bias are you bloody victorians, you think elliot should be in the side ahead of hayden and you think that berry is a better wicketkeeper then seccombe, if you have seen much of shield cricket courtesy of going to games or optus vision you would realise that seccombe is probably the most talented keeper the australian first class scene has ever encountered, i know that is a big wrap, but by god you should see this bloke keep, and his batting is underratted but he always has a happy knack of scoring runs when there needed, a bit like healy.

I am talking mainly in reference to walshy and his little mob, i cannot believe campbell is even getting a mention, at the moment he cannot score a run and was replaced as the second keeper for wa, you would know this if you guys were upto date with the current happenings in the pura cup, a bloke by the name of walsh is keeping for the sandgropers

although he wont be considered in the near future a long term aussie keeper in the making is Graham Manou from the redbacks, the guy can bat well too and has leadership qualities out on the field, last keeper from sa to play for the aussies was flipper phillips

------------------
Essendon - The greatest club with the greatest coach in the league ! Carlton- absolute hypocrites who accuse others of being cheats only for it to be found later that carlton are the "serial salary cap breachers" as quoted by our president, haha

Originally posted by acuguy:
I am talking mainly in reference to walshy and his little mob, i cannot believe campbell is even getting a mention, at the moment he cannot score a run and was replaced as the second keeper for wa, you would know this if you guys were upto date with the current happenings in the pura cup, a bloke by the name of walsh is keeping for the sandgropers

dickhead
read what i said
berry is the best keeper
one thing that made healy the keeper he was was the ability he had to keep to warne
berry is at a similar level
campbell has a acb contract, true, so obviously the selectors have him in mind, stay with me here for crying out loud

if you think vics are biased for wanting elliott in the team doesnt that make you equally biased for saying hayden should be, and by saying seccombe is better than berry your contridicting yourself

berry, experience, been to england, kept to warne, miller
seccombe, minimal experience, keeps to average bowlers on a wicket that does nothing beyond day one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campbell has an ACB contract? News to me - I thought there were only 25 with them - and he wasn't one of the chosen. Haddin would get the nod - he's already played for Australia A. Plus he's from NSW..........

I'm 99% sure Campbell doesn't have an ACB contract. Also thought there were only 25.

I'm hoping they won't have to pick a replacement for Gilchrist - he's a star! But, as a reserve to Gilchrist - Seccombe. Probably too soon for Haddin.

walshy, what are u talking about, campbell with an acb contract, once again u are showing your lack of knowledge. The reason behind my placing of the qld players over the vic players are due to them being better players at the moment, i have a lot of respect for both berry and elliot but after watching a hell of a lot of cricket i know they are below the other two at the moment, just like i cannot wait for fleming to come back into the aussie side ahead of bichel, just as i would rate katich ahead of maher or love, not because of the papers i have read or what is on the news, but because i have watched a lot of katich batting, and he is extremely well organised.
I am a real cricket fanatic , play a lot of it, discuss it and watch and learn as much as i can, my opinions aren't based on state loyalty.

ok campbell doesnt have a current acb contract
the reason i came to this conclusion was because campbell was at the training camp in bris before the test series, which was meant to be only contracted players
considering there is no other keeper contracted its a pretty positive sign for campbell wouldnt u think

oh and acuguy you just continue to disagree with everything i say ok
just for the record i know a little bit about this
go have a look at baggygreen, click on players on the left hand side menu, when the new screen comes up scroll all the way down
look at the name of the person on the bottom right and see if you can put two and two together

(for the record acuguy 2 and 2 equals 4)

[This message has been edited by walshy1993 (edited 20 December 2000).]

So your Mike Walsh, well i am embarrassed that the australian cricket side has employed someone who is unprofessional enough to air his opinions publicly on a forum and then is stupid enough to say who he actually is. Obvioulsy you would also know that seccombe was also in attendance at that camp at the beggining of the season. Wow your lack of insight really does worry me, maybe your job is mainly as cricket scorer, which is basically a data entry job isn't it.

Also Brad Haddin and Wade Seccombe were in attendance at that training camp Walshy or did u forget to meanch that?

Here is a list of one day batting averages for leading Australian Wicketkeepers:

Haddin - 34.15
Seccombe - 23.35
*Campbell - 21.61
Deitz - 4.50
Berry - 15.61

Tell me everyone who gets the one day spot?

Plz Note * Campbell is the 2nd to Gilchirst in wa and he would not be the next stand in keeper!

Mags

MAGS
Deitz isn't the SA wicketkeeper.Its Manou.[just helping you out
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
]

I don't think Ryan Campbell has been wickie in all WA games this year[when Gilchrist isn't playing].I don't know the third wickie's name.

------------------
"Absatively Posilutely"

Thanks Jub Jub!
biggrin.gif

Manou and Deitz are both s**t sa cricketers anyway so it doesnt matter!Manou has an average of 8.40! Not much higher then Deitz anyway.

I got another stat too R.Campbell's Ave For This Season Is only 9 Runs! And he has a HS of 13 in one dayers this season!

[This message has been edited by Mags (edited 21 December 2000).]

Originally posted by acuguy:
So your Mike Walsh, well i am embarrassed that the australian cricket side has employed someone who is unprofessional enough to air his opinions publicly on a forum and then is stupid enough to say who he actually is. Obvioulsy you would also know that seccombe was also in attendance at that camp at the beggining of the season. Wow your lack of insight really does worry me, maybe your job is mainly as cricket scorer, which is basically a data entry job isn't it.

not me, its my uncle

mags, look i never said that campbell is the best person for the job
i dont think he is
berry is without a doubt the best keeper in the country and should get the test duties if gilly got injured
and i think haddin should take the one day honours
im just putting looking at the whole equation and going on what ive been told by someone who has a little to do with it
mags i dont know if haddin or seccombe were there, i can find out tomorrow, all i know is that campbell definatly was
i think the reason campbell is considered for the one day position is that he, like gilchrist is an aggressive opening batsman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back