Who would you feel most comfortable with letting go in exchange for the missing pieces in pursuit of 17?

Thrall

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
It seems we take one step forward and then two steps back, upon reflection I think it's because we are a couple of players short of where we need to be. I would say our main area of pain is the midfield. We need one or two to get in there and help out Cripps, Kennedy, Curnow, and the others.

List of Forwards
  • C.Curnow
  • L.Casboult
  • H.Mackay
  • M.Mcgovern
  • T.De Koning
List of Midfielders
  • S.Walsh
  • L.Obrien
  • P.Dow
  • D.Cuningham
  • M.Kruezer
  • M.Kennedy
  • L.Stocker
  • Z.Fisher
List of Defenders
  • S.Petrevski Seton
  • T.Williamson
  • C.Marchbank
  • L.PLowman
The above are the players who would be worth something to other teams and would be seen as tantalising carrots to get a deal for one or two high level experienced players done.
Who would you be ok with losing from the above if it got us the pieces required to bag 17?

I'll let you know mine a bit later on

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
From the forwards I would say McKay and Curnow are untouchable. TDK is a must keep for us because we have a bit of a void in developing Ruckman, but could be traded if we filled that void. Would happily part with McGovern, even if it meant handing a pick back. That trade is looking like a disaster. Levi could have some currency to a club in the window that needs a forward and we could trade him but to me is a bit of heart and soul of the club and still performing. Summary of the forwards McGovern would be great to offload, but doubt we would find a club.

From the mids, Walsh is untouchable. The others I would trade for the right offer but I wouldn't be thrilled about any of them leaving. Of the list I would be most comfortable with losing LoB. Kruzer should be moved on if we have the opportunity to do it, but I doubt it will be an option.

Defenders is tricky. I wouldn't want to lose Willo. But SPS if we insist he is a defender should be traded to be a mid at another club. Marchbank has such a high upside but can't get on the park. Plowman is good and bad which is frustrating. Tricky.

Cripptonite

All Australian
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting thread, I think we have three needs (which could be filled either by either trade acquisition, draft or internal growth):
1) Gun small forward- Basically Papley
2) Gun midfielder
3) Good speedy half back with neat disposal

In regards to expendable players with value suggested in the above list:

Must Keep at all costs
-Charlie Curnow
-McKay
-Walsh

Would prefer to keep as ability > trade value
-Dow
-Marchbank
-Gov
-TDK
-Cunners
-Stocker
-SPS

Would be open to losing if the price was right
-LOB
-Fisher
-Kreuzer
-Willo
-Plowman (Although won’t happen as he just signed)

Would hold little tradeable value
-Casboult
-Kennedy

Thrall

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting thread, I think we have three needs (which could be filled either by either trade acquisition, draft or internal growth):
1) Gun small forward- Basically Papley
2) Gun midfielder
3) Good speedy half back with neat disposal

In regards to expendable players with value suggested in the above list:

Must Keep at all costs
-Charlie Curnow
-McKay
-Walsh

Would prefer to keep as ability > trade value
-Dow
-Marchbank
-Gov
-TDK
-Cunners
-Stocker
-SPS

Would be open to losing if the price was right
-LOB
-Fisher
-Kreuzer
-Willo
-Plowman (Although won’t happen as he just signed)

Would hold little tradeable value
-Casboult
-Kennedy

Love it, but you have to give something to get something!

Also, I reckon Levi's value is bigger than you think, a team on the cusp would almost win a premiership by adding him

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Weitering as untouchable.

He is who I'd be building the team around. Him, one of H or Charlie, and Walsh are the ones for me that are untouchable; all else, given the right trade offer, would be gettable, but the price on some - Cripps, Doc, Charlie/Harry - would be so high as to make a trade untenable.

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
From your list I'd say SPS.

Super high ceiling if it all comes together, but hes playing out of position in defence. Aside from an amazing game against the pies and last years game against the dogs, I dont have confidence that he's the kind of player thats going to show up on Grand Final day. He's still very young, and has a lot of games under his belt for someone his age, but I just dont have the confidence in him. I'd be willing to lose him if it got us a player who was a best 22 lock.

Thrall

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Weitering as untouchable.

He is who I'd be building the team around. Him, one of H or Charlie, and Walsh are the ones for me that are untouchable; all else, given the right trade offer, would be gettable, but the price on some - Cripps, Doc, Charlie/Harry - would be so high as to make a trade untenable.

No chance we trade him, wouldn't help us in anyway. I left him off the list for that reason

From your list I'd say SPS.

Super high ceiling if it all comes together, but hes playing out of position in defence. Aside from an amazing game against the pies and last years game against the dogs, I dont have confidence that he's the kind of player thats going to show up on Grand Final day. He's still very young, and has a lot of games under his belt for someone his age, but I just dont have the confidence in him. I'd be willing to lose him if it got us a player who was a best 22 lock.

I love sps, there would be others before him I'd trade.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It seems we take one step forward and then two steps back, upon reflection I think it's because we are a couple of players short of where we need to be. I would say our main area of pain is the midfield. We need one or two to get in there and help out Cripps, Kennedy, Curnow, and the others.

List of Forwards
  • C.Curnow
  • L.Casboult
  • H.Mackay
  • M.Mcgovern
  • T.De Koning
List of Midfielders
  • S.Walsh
  • L.Obrien
  • P.Dow
  • D.Cuningham
  • M.Kruezer
  • M.Kennedy
  • L.Stocker
  • Z.Fisher
List of Defenders
  • S.Petrevski Seton
  • T.Williamson
  • C.Marchbank
  • L.PLowman
The above are the players who would be worth something to other teams and would be seen as tantalising carrots to get a deal for one or two high level experienced players done.
Who would you be ok with losing from the above if it got us the pieces required to bag 17?

Intriguing post, I like it.

On the premise of "Who would you be ok with losing from the above if it got us the pieces required to bag 17?" the answer is "Anyone". The thing is, we don't know when or if that flag comes, so it's a gamble.

For mine:

Not open to trading any of the forwards. Curnow and McKay have huge ceilings, Casboult is versatile enough to cover 3 positions, is in solid form, and costs us bugger all - would also not get us enough compo to justify the loss, TDK is part of the future (either ruck or forward, or both). McGovern is the one, if you held a gun to my head, but I don't like it. Outside of Eddie he's our smartest forward. That tap down to Gibbons, , the knock on to Betts, the little bumps and blocks, without him we're back to being a bunch of dumb lugs getting in each others way.

The problem with trading out any of the mids for more experienced mids is what it potentially means in 3-4 years. Ditch a couple to bring Kelly in...that's great right now, but in 3 years when Kelly's banged up body continues to break down, we's short on the 26yo blokes who'd be consistent contributors. Walsh goes nowhere, Kreuzer gets us no return, Kennedy gets us not much. Beyond that, I think LOB, Dow, Cunners, Stocker and Fisher would all provide lower returns than their worth to us.

I don't think SPS is a defender, long term, he's a mid. Which just leaves three. The obvious one is Marchbank, he just seems to really struggle to string games together, our backline has plenty of tall timber without him, and I think as an intercepting defender he has currency. Plowman frustrates me at times but I know that he's generally solid. His mistakes are visible and obvious, but his efforts go unremarked. Willo offers drive and attitude and a loooong peg - should keep, but he does still have a fair way to go to be considered "necessary".

It probably all comes down to who we're getting back though - 25yo and under and it becomes more appealing than chasing a 27yo prematurely. I'd be open to losing Cunners if it secured Papley. I'd be open to losing Kennedy if it got us Wines.

DirtyLeeds

Premium Platinum
May 27, 2018
Soldiers Hill, Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golf handicap 16
Mentioned on another thread that wouldn't be against any of the following: Dow, LOB, Stocker; throw in Kreuser, Jones, Cas. Targets are the key, ranked Kelly- Papely- Williams- Wines- Crouch

You'd give up pretty much anyone if it guaranteed #17 but of course it just doesn't work that way.

I guess it all depends on what you're getting in return but I'm reluctant to give up any of the young players we've brought into the club over the past few years; they're either critical for our continued development, or you're simply not going to get what they're worth to us in return.

Marchbank is the only one with any sort of value that I'd be prepared to move on at the end of the year.

I'd be comfortable enough trading out any of Kennedy, Casboult and (sadly) Kreuzer but the reality is you're not getting much if anything in return for any of them.

Mar 1, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
carlton
Love it, but you have to give something to get something!

Also, I reckon Levi's value is bigger than you think, a team on the cusp would almost win a premiership by adding him

He is the obvious one because once Charlie gets back , I see a forward line of Harry, Charlie and Gov being quite exceptional. Gov is not performing atm but I think would thrive with those 2 beside him consistently.
Much as i love the big Lug, his backup value would be much less once we get all our talls back- Kreuzer, charlie etc

His value has skyrocketed thsi year- its an ideal time to trade him.

He is very resilient and I think could go for another 4 years at least.

Jul 24, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly, I know this will get hate but if we got good compensation for cripps i would be happy to let him go. He is just 3 year outside the age bracket of our youth which isnt a lot but he isnt in it really. If we got someone like Oscar Allen and two firsts i would be happy to do it, knowing that one of the firsts is a top 10. Ik this will get hate but one player doesnt make a team. Allen and 2 first rounders makes us a better overall team. Dont see it happening but wont be annoyed if something like that did happen. As much as i love cripps i want premiership success and adding 3 real good players is better than one top 5 player

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Honestly, I know this will get hate but if we got good compensation for cripps i would be happy to let him go. He is just 3 year outside the age bracket of our youth which isnt a lot but he isnt in it really. If we got someone like Oscar Allen and two firsts i would be happy to do it, knowing that one of the firsts is a top 10. Ik this will get hate but one player doesnt make a team. Allen and 2 first rounders makes us a better overall team. Dont see it happening but wont be annoyed if something like that did happen. As much as i love cripps i want premiership success and adding 3 real good players is better than one top 5 player

Allen and 2 firsts makes us a better side in 5 years, but absolutely guts us for the nectxt few. Captain, midfield beast, untouchable.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Here is my master plan,

I would put Charlie C up for Z.Williams and T. Greene. Throw the kitchen sink at Kelly at then enjoy 17 18 and 19 :p

How are GWS looking for that triple flag with those three?

Think people overestimate talent sometimes. More important by far is to have structure, balance and buy in from the whole squad.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

List of Forwards
  • C.Curnow
  • L.Casboult
  • H.Mackay
  • M.Mcgovern
  • T.De Koning
List of Midfielders
  • S.Walsh
  • L.Obrien
  • P.Dow
  • D.Cuningham
  • M.Kruezer
  • M.Kennedy
  • L.Stocker
  • Z.Fisher
List of Defenders
  • S.Petrevski Seton
  • T.Williamson
  • C.Marchbank
  • L.PLowman

What value are you hoping for Kreuzer or Casboult? 3rd round picks?

Gw2_James

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Definately SPS. He has done nothing this year and not much last year and has been so disappointing. Time to move him on before he has little trade value.
Absolutely this. Has been majorly disappointing this year. I'd personally be more then happy to trade him + picks for wines/papley/other. I feel like sps would net us the best value without making us a worse team, same goes with lob/dow, think we have something in dow though and needs time, lob dont see much in him yet, could see him as possibly traded too.

The Fantom

All Australian
Jun 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

We’d get laughed out of town if we did that one.

Try selling that move to potential trade targets like Papley.

I don’t think it’s hate you’ll get because it’s jus a nonsense idea.

Imagine trading the fabric of the team for Oscar Allen and two first rounders who may or may not be as terrible as Josh Schache or as injury prone as Nathan Freeman.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
We’d get laughed out of town if we did that one.

Try selling that move to potential trade targets like Papley.

I don’t think it’s hate you’ll get because it’s jus a nonsense idea.

Imagine trading the fabric of the team for Oscar Allen and two first rounders who may or may not be as terrible as Josh Schache or as injury prone as Nathan Freeman.
Yeah, imagine if the trade ended up being the 2021 equivalents of Paddy McCarton, Anthony Morabito and Jono O’Rourke...

Thrall

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
How are GWS looking for that triple flag with those three?

Think people overestimate talent sometimes. More important by far is to have structure, balance and buy in from the whole squad.

I genuinely believe if we got those 3 we would be a better team than gws. Our midfield would be ready to explode next year!

Back