Who would you feel most comfortable with letting go in exchange for the missing pieces in pursuit of 17?

I'll even chuck in the hovercraft plus the '97, '05 and '07 pre-season cups. Couple of spoons thrown in as steak knives too.
Steady, don’t sell the farm

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Steady, don’t sell the farm
I was thinking of it more as 'spring cleaning'

At some stage in the future we might need to free up some more space in the cabinet anyway.

Can't hurt to get the servicing and insurance for the hovercraft off the books too! (more money to go to that new stoppage coach... unless they want the hovercraft, of course)

I think we're in a position that we may need to offer up a player to get what we want. Problem is, anyone that would get us something good in return is a required player. Like the OP says, we have a few players whose ability is worth more than their trade value so it doesn't make sense to trade them IMO.

Samo is possibly one but I can just see us letting him go, then having him tear it up at another club. Bloke has plenty of potential, and I think he'll come good. Playing him in the right position might help too.

Bluezer

Senior List
Jun 9, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
One of Marchbank, Jones or Casboult seem to be surplus to requirements. I'm unsure of their trade value but there is value in each being decent talls.

I'd deadset shed a tear if Cas got traded.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
One of Marchbank, Jones or Casboult seem to be surplus to requirements. I'm unsure of their trade value but there is value in each being decent talls.

I don't think they have any reasonable trade value that will make it worthwhile for us. Jones and Cas are either 30 or thereabouts and Marchbank can't get on the park.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Do not trade list would be: Weitering, C Curnow, McKay, Martin, Walsh, Kemp, Cripps and Docherty. Possibly Setterfield.

The rest have a trade currency worth entertaining if the price was right.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Can't trade any of the players we've taken with top end picks since the 2015 draft.

Quite a few will be ready to take their games to the next level in 2021. Trading them out to bring in someone like Papley could actually make us go backwards. With the amount of young players coming through, the biggest growth should come from within.

McGovern and Kreuzer would be the names I'd throw out there:

McGovern: Don't see him in our best 22 come 2022. Really bullish on Kemp. See him playing on the ball and rotating with Cripps as the 3rd tall forward. Can't have McKay, Curnow, McGovern + Cripps or Kemp in the same forward line. Too top heavy.

Kreuzer: Injury prone and turning 32 next season. We've tried building our midfield around him for over a decade and it hasn't worked. Maybe a fresh start will see him gain a bit of continuity. Also, with Pittonet showing decent signs, it's probably best to give him an opportunity to try and improve the consistency of his performance. His best is as good as Kreuzer's and whilst we're still in the development phase, it's probably best to see what he's capable of.

Don't know what sort of trade currency either have, but it's probably all we should offer at this stage.

TD2010

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
So we're the new Giants? ha.

Having said that, past teams have done the same: Capt Ryan Griffen, Vice Capt Brett Deludio.

If I knew we continued to have people to make ruthless list manager decisions I would agree.

But I was asked tonight by a friend who is a friend of the Silvagnis where he will be playing (?) and it got me thinking/worried. I'd hate to lose a 'son', blue blood.

Where would he play he asked. I said HFF, he asked who would he replace? I pivoted and said how about tagger when Ed retires? He was non-plussed and inferred he's on the move. And it did make me really think, and a bit sad, that we have to lose a fair bit of loyalty and sentimentality to move forward.

(Afterall SOS really screwed us hard not to move to the saints himself at various negotiation stages).

Is Jack 'expendable'?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
So we're the new Giants? ha.

Having said that, past teams have done the same: Capt Ryan Griffen, Vice Capt Brett Deludio.

If I knew we continued to have people to make ruthless list manager decisions I would agree.

But I was asked tonight by a friend who is a friend of the Silvagnis where he will be playing (?) and it got me thinking/worried. I'd hate to lose a 'son', blue blood.

Where would he play he asked. I said HFF, he asked who would he replace? I pivoted and said how about tagger when Ed retires? He was non-plussed and inferred he's on the move. And it did make me really think, and a bit sad, that we have to lose a fair bit of loyalty and sentimentality to move forward.

(Afterall SOS really screwed us hard not to move to the saints himself at various negotiation stages).

Is Jack 'expendable'?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

No, I wouldn't have thought so.

His versatility is too valuable to us.

Defense, midfield or forward, you can count on him to bring heaps of pressure and set the tone.

Thrall

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't trade any of the players we've taken with top end picks since the 2015 draft.

Quite a few will be ready to take their games to the next level in 2021. Trading them out to bring in someone like Papley could actually make us go backwards. With the amount of young players coming through, the biggest growth should come from within.

McGovern and Kreuzer would be the names I'd throw out there:

McGovern: Don't see him in our best 22 come 2022. Really bullish on Kemp. See him playing on the ball and rotating with Cripps as the 3rd tall forward. Can't have McKay, Curnow, McGovern + Cripps or Kemp in the same forward line. Too top heavy.

Kreuzer: Injury prone and turning 32 next season. We've tried building our midfield around him for over a decade and it hasn't worked. Maybe a fresh start will see him gain a bit of continuity. Also, with Pittonet showing decent signs, it's probably best to give him an opportunity to try and improve the consistency of his performance. His best is as good as Kreuzer's and whilst we're still in the development phase, it's probably best to see what he's capable of.

Don't know what sort of trade currency either have, but it's probably all we should offer at this stage.

mate, no offence, but how would trading dow, obrien or similar for papley send us backwards? People get hung up on draft pick position and potential. Papley is elite. Would be starting 22 for any team in the comp and almost all australian

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow

Hold your tears, won’t happen. None of these guys will leave via trade. Free agency though?

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
mate, no offence, but how would trading dow, obrien or similar for papley send us backwards? People get hung up on draft pick position and potential. Papley is elite. Would be starting 22 for any team in the comp and almost all australian

Dow and O'brien clearly haven't reached their peak, but they offer key attributes our team is lacking.

Dow: Pace in the midfield.
O'brien: Elite disposal, pace and running power.

If we decide to trade these guys, who's going to replace Ed, Murphy and Newnes? They're not getting any younger.

Also, Papley's massively overrated.

What did he do in his last game against Collingwood?

7 disposals, 6 kicks, 1 handball, 1 goal and 1 x $750 fine for his academy award winning role in West Side Story.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
LOB is the player who has the most replaceable skill set. Seems to lack defensive capacity and doesn’t hurt with his disposal. Not sure if he has much currency though.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
LOB is the player who has the most replaceable skill set. Seems to lack defensive capacity and doesn’t hurt with his disposal. Not sure if he has much currency though.
I'm not sure if I could disagree any more vehemently!

The kid is quick, his kicking is very good, he is an endurance machine, and whilst weighing 45 kilos wringing wet just kept throwing his body in at the ball, going even harder if he got knocked off it.

There is not a player on this list that has been more in danger of getting smashed than LOB over the last 3 years. It never stopped him. Imagine what he's going to be like, once he's actually done three years in an AFL gym environment!

You're mad. I'm mad. We're all going slowly insane. I blame the Coronavirus.

Last edited:

Coops93

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2015
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Denver Broncos
Liam Jones could get us something decent. It'd be a shame given how he's turned around for us but with Macreadie and BSOS playing as athletic tall defenders in the 2s and Marchbank to come back in so perhaps it's worthwhile for us. I'm sure a team at the pointy end would have great use for him. Maybe even the Suns, he'd be a good pairing with Collins.

BigBreakfast

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakeshow
I'm not sure if I could disagree any more vehemently!

The kid is quick, his kicking is very good, he is an endurance machine, and whilst weighing 45 kilos wringing wet just kept throwing his body in at the ball, going even harder if he got knocked off it.

There is not a player on this list that has been more in danger of getting smashed than LOB over the last 3 years. It never stopped him. Imagine what he's going to be like, once he's actually done three years in an AFL gym environment!

You're mad. I'm mad. We're all going slowly insane. I blame the Coronavirus.
Not saying I don't like the kid or see an upside. I just see him as the most replaceable.

Back