Who would you feel most comfortable with letting go in exchange for the missing pieces in pursuit of 17?

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
Mcgovern and Marchbank both have a long history of injury concerns but imo would still hold reasonable trade currency .
Imo if both cant finish this season fit and in some kind of form they are the obvious choices to use as currency and part of trades to fill list deficiencies.

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d trade out both Newnes and Newman to be honest. Both have brain-farts too often and really are mediocre and slow. We have options to fill their spots

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
How on earth is Jones surplus. Hes our starting FB/CHB
Because he's not the other side of 30 but he will be next season, and as a member of the first 22 he's actually got currency compared to Macreadie, Marchbank, Goddard, BSOS.

I would do it, but it would be a risk. I'd be banking on Marchbank staying injury free and one of BSOS or Macreadie making either first or second KPD. Also, as long as Casboult is around, we've got the numbers to do without him.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Because he's not the other side of 30 but he will be next season, and as a member of the first 22 he's actually got currency compared to Macreadie, Marchbank, Goddard, BSOS.

I would do it, but it would be a risk. I'd be banking on Marchbank staying injury free and one of BSOS or Macreadie making either first or second KPD. Also, as long as Casboult is around, we've got the numbers to do without him.
Casboult as a stopgap sure.

The rest are unknowns and/or not the same type.

Would Marchbank/Weiters as our 2 kpds (with plowman) be able to cope?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Casboult as a stopgap sure.

The rest are unknowns and/or not the same type.

Would Marchbank/Weiters as our 2 kpds (with plowman) be able to cope?
Not without a change to the entire back 6 system. The way I see it, we would need to hone our matchups until they ******* glistened, between Williamson, - as a 191 athletic running defender, who hasn't quite played tall yet - Plowman - a similar height, but slower and much stronger - and Marchbank - plays much taller, but isn't able to wrestle like Plow can.

In time, I think such would be an improvement on what we have now, but there'd be growing pains. We'd need them to play a lot of footy together.

GapInIkonPark

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
We are North Melbourne trading Wayne Schwass to Sydney for Shannon Grant.

Casboult. Has currency for Bulldogs, Pies, Brisbane ... Pies for Phillips. Might need to add a draft pick.

Kreuzer to Geelong for a swap of draft picks in our favour.

Who drops out of the 22 for Charlie Curnow (if we don’t trade Casboult)? I’d say McGovern, but he’s contracted for another 2 years. Would trade to Sydney for Papley. We’d probably have to add to the trade.

reg_lower91

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Watsonia F.C.
The only person on our list who I’d be willing to part with and who would have any currency is SPS. Maybe Dow And/or Fisher as well. Casboult Maybe but he is a FA This year so would hold little currency. Plus I think he’s too valuable.

SPS for a high second rounder (to Freo?) - doubt he’d NET a first rounder.

That’d leave us pick 10*, 22*, 28 for this year.

Pick 10 + 2021 first rounder for Papley + 2021 second rounder.

Leaves a Couple of picks to trade for Ollie Wines (possibly Through an upgrade to a first rounder in 2021).

Potentially Go after these FAs:
Gaff
B Crouch
Lin Jong
Z Williams
A Corr

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Reading this thread is like basking in gross complacency after overcoming a massive challenge and thinking we've arrived, It advocates the type of trading that CFC practiced, pre-SOS; that got us into deep s**t. Reading this stuff gives me anxiety. Just trade no-one, and get on with completing what we started.

Very few of our players will net us something better than what we paid for them, or something good enough to pick up elite talent. Cripps would, Docherty would, Fisher might. Marchbank and McGovern won't. Kreuzer and Casboult won't net much due to injury and/or age.

We need to look at where our surpluses are, but not snip off the end of that surplus but maybe the 2nd best.

For example. How do you rate our key forwards? In what order? Are they versatile? Are they durable? How much could you get for them? Is there a market for them?

Remember this is hypothetical.

1. C Curnow - despite injuries, he has the greatest ceiling as a key forward with a huge tank, big leap, strong one on one. He has already shown what he can do so it's not just potential. Value: Early first rounder or 2 top 10 picks.

2. H McKay - again, gets injuries but not necessarily long terms ones. Has the height clubs are looking for, is a very good contested mark, has great pace for a big man and could easily be a number one forward target for any team. Doesn't have the versatility of Curnow but has also shown what he can do. Value: Early first rounder or 1 mid first rounder and 1 late first rounder.

3. L Casboult - no point even discussing this one. His value is to us as a decent KPP and second ruck. Durable but 30 years old. Value: Late second rounder.

4. M McGovern - cost us 2 early-ish second rounders. We'd get one of them back. Won't get the value we paid in points which was a first rounder. Has the ability to step up and be the player we recruited him to be, but conditioning is constantly holding him back. Value: Pick 20

5. T De Koning - Ranked here based on only 3 games. On potential, he is top 3. I do think another club would be looking to pay based on potential however. Value: Late first rounder to early second rounder.

So clearly trading Casboult, McGovern or De Koning is not going to net the quality we'd be hoping for in order to even contemplate a trade. We trade these guys only if they want out. A couple could want out if they don't get enough game time so we should look at that aspect when contemplating a trade. Obviously Levi would be sacrificed first because of age, but it's hard when he is our most consistent performer.

So if you could get a gun midfielder to make us a threat immediately, would you trade Curnow or McKay? What if hypothetically, North wanted Harry to join his brother as bookends for years to come. They have Picks 3 and 9 this year. That's too much for McKay's current value and draft picks are useless to us right now. However if we got 3 for him, and were able to package that up with our other first rounder for an elite midfielder, would you consider it?

Can TDK and McKay even play in the same forward line?

I could see a forward line of Curnow, TDK and Gov, with TDK the second ruck to Pitto. Very balanced and TDK is a better ruck than Levi or McKay.

Despite how much we love our tall forward stocks, are we giving ourselves the best chance by stockpiling such players and having an unbalanced side trying to fit square pegs into round holes?

If we get forward injuries, we can make do with BSOS who has played both ends or the small forward line with JSOS and Kennedy. It wouldn't kill us, is my point.

Thrall

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Very few of our players will net us something better than what we paid for them, or something good enough to pick up elite talent. Cripps would, Docherty would, Fisher might. Marchbank and McGovern won't. Kreuzer and Casboult won't net much due to injury and/or age.

We need to look at where our surpluses are, but not snip off the end of that surplus but maybe the 2nd best.

For example. How do you rate our key forwards? In what order? Are they versatile? Are they durable? How much could you get for them? Is there a market for them?

1. C Curnow - despite injuries, he has the greatest ceiling as a key forward with a huge tank, big leap, strong one on one. He has already shown what he can do so it's not just potential. Value: Early first rounder or 2 top 10 picks.

2. H McKay - again, gets injuries but not necessarily long terms ones. Has the height clubs are looking for, is a very good contested mark, has great pace for a big man and could easily be a number one forward target for any team. Doesn't have the versatility of Curnow but has also shown what he can do. Value: Early first rounder or 1 mid first rounder and 1 late first rounder.

3. L Casboult - no point even discussing this one. His value is to us as a decent KPP and second ruck. Durable but 30 years old. Value: Late second rounder.

4. M McGovern - cost us 2 early-ish second rounders. We'd get one of them back. Won't get the value we paid in points which was a first rounder. Has the ability to step up and be the player we recruited him to be, but conditioning is constantly holding him back. Value: Pick 20

5. T De Koning - Ranked here based on only 3 games. On potential, he is top 3. I do think another club would be looking to pay based on potential however. Value: Late first rounder to early second rounder.

So clearly trading Casboult, McGovern or De Koning is not going to net the quality we'd be hoping for in order to even contemplate a trade. We trade these guys only if they want out. A couple could want out if they don't get enough game time so we should look at that aspect when contemplating a trade. Obviously Levi would be sacrificed first because of age, but it's hard when he is our most consistent performer.

So if you could get a gun midfielder to make us a threat immediately, would you trade Curnow or McKay? What if hypothetically, North wanted Harry to join his brother as bookends for years to come. They have Picks 3 and 9 this year. That's too much for McKay's current value and draft picks are useless to us right now. However if we got 3 for him, and were able to package that up with our other first rounder for an elite midfielder, would you consider it?

I could see a forward line of Curnow, TDK and Gov, with TDK the second ruck to Pitto. Very balanced and TDK is a better ruck than Levi or McKay.

Despite how much we love our tall forward stocks, are we giving ourselves the best chance by stockpiling such players and having an unbalanced side trying to fit square pegs into round holes?

If we get forward injuries, we can make do with BSOS who has played both ends or the small forward line with JSOS and Kennedy. It wouldn't kill us, is my point.
This was my whole point with this thread really, Would you give up mckay or a charlie curnow or a cripps to get in an elite midfielder etc....

Or a mcgovern for a papley. Not talking about trading newnes for a 4th round pick lol

I personally would trade absolutely anyone if it was in our favour. I support carlton not individual players

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
We don’t need to give up any of our youngsters some have just started to blossom, many are just starting to ripen and some still just need more time... September next year let’s see who everyone wants to trade out then, finally build a list and people want to trade out our kids for less than what their worth because once again apparently most of them aren’t coming along or are no good... ffs... let them develop... Is a nobody from me 😬

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton

If we still have our Salary cap advantage; it may safer to focus on players in the FA window. Otherwise, I think we will still be at the business end of the draft this year, and likely upper-mid next year; that's some decent picks to trade with. In terms of trading surplus forwards; our interests may be best served by waiting until the ability of each of those prospects become clear enough to avoid a forward version of the Jacobs stuff up.

If we still have our Salary cap advantage; it may safer to focus on players in the FA window. Otherwise, I think we will still be at the business end of the draft this year, and likely upper-mid next year; that's some decent picks to trade with. In terms of trading surplus forwards; our interests may be best served by waiting until the ability of each of those prospects become clear enough to avoid a forward version of the Jacobs stuff up.

The only issue with focusing on free agency is these players generally leave for success so we have to become a challenger first.

We have attracted one free agent so far, and he came injured and he came for the coach.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Paddy Dow, Zac Fisher, Matt Kennedy, Caleb Marchbank are ones I would try put on the market to see if we can get assets to address our needs.
We wouldnt get much for those guys, maybe a late first for Fisher. They have more upside for us than they're worth on the open market

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
I'd trade Charlie Curnow if the price was right.

There, I said it.

Come at me.
Yup Charlie Curnow, Marchbank and McGovern have been frustrating, very little continuity, its a great shame for their development, they should be looked at if the trade deal is attractive to the club. Some young talent hasn't come on as expect too.
Eddy, Kruooz and Simpson must be about ready to retire come end 2020, reckon there will be quite a few difficult decision to be made before 2021.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yup Charlie Curnow, Marchbank and McGovern have been frustrating, very little continuity, its a great shame for their development, they should be looked at if the trade deal is attractive to the club. Some young talent hasn't come on as expect too.
Eddy, Kruooz and Simpson must be about ready to retire come end 2020, reckon there will be quite a few difficult decision to be made before 2021.
Cant bear to watch charlie go.

Back