Who would you feel most comfortable with letting go in exchange for the missing pieces in pursuit of 17?

Remove this Banner Ad

heck while we are at it lets just trade Mckay cripps walsh setterfield fisher kemp philp sps as well.
Buy low, sell high. Especially when the product seems like it could "run out" at any minute. Gotta be ruthless with list management - no place for favouritism or attachment.

Given the tall forwards we have, would you not entertain a hypothetical high draft pick and A-grade midfielder for one C. Curnow? I think you'd be mad not to think long and hard about it.

What, to you, is the "right price"?

For the record, I agree, but interested to get your thoughts on what he's worth.
Just an example but if it nets us a proven A-grade mid in their prime and a high draft pick (therefore you'd hope a second quality player), it seems prudent to trade away an excess asset (key fwd) for that.

I'm trying to take the approach toward list management and trades of removing player names from the equation and focussing simply on the role, position and qualities of the player. Maybe that is too disconnected, dunno!

I don't agree that we need to trade players, especially players who have ability but no currency. We can trade picks over a three year cycle now. If we want a player, pay up with picks. I'd like to see SPS, Dow, O Brien, Cuningham, Stocker, JSOS and Fisher, Walsh, Kemp, Curnow, Weitering, McKay, Williamson, Philip, Setterfield and Kennedy, TDK, Pitt play together for a solid chunk of time in their prime (24-30). We might lose one or two when they are more established footballers at 25-26 and actually have currency or they get offered huge contracts from a club below us.

You then think about the current mid aged players, McGovern, Cripps, Docherty, Martin, Marchbank, Plowman. You target a free agent like Williams (fingers bloody crossed), Viney and others in the future, target a ready made gun via trading picks or continue to target youth via the draft and back in organic growth and a steady stream of talent filtering through in every age bracket moving forward. I mean we have a lot of talent already. I back the youth we have brought in via the draft and think our future success will be dependent primarily on them as our core.

Always intrigued by the "we don't need player X because he is s**t at *insert glaring weakness here*, he is worth *insert ridiculously high trade value here*" type posts.

If we paid the stated trade price for a player with the stated weakness to another club, this place would melt down worse than a sleep deprived toddler coming off a sugar high.

Just reflecting on Gold Coast with the number of young players they had last night and that they appeared cooked.

It was only a couple of years ago when we regularly had 10+ players who were in their first 3 seasons since we drafted them. As the season wore on, they tired, endured and the team was uncompetitive at times as we just had no quality depth.

So we have stayed the course of our rebuild and have an interesting spread in the senior 22 and rising from whatever the Twos are.

Players we kept from pre-SOS - Simpson, Murphy, Ed, Casboult, Docherty, Cripps, Jones (Kreuzer injured, Betts traded back in)
Players traded in - Plowman, Setterfield, Pitto, Newnes (Newman, McGovern in Twos, Marchbank, Kennedy and Lang too)
Pre-Season draft and rookies - Martin, Gibbons, Cottrell ...
Drafted - Weitering, McKay, SPS, Fisher, Walsh, TDK, Williamson (several injured or earning their spots Charlie, Cuningham, JSOS, Polson, Macreadie, Dow, O’Brien, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, Ramsay, BSOS ...).

An eye to the rest of 2020 - I think Marchbank, JSOS, Cuningham and McGovern come back into the senior 22. Kennedy is about team balance, Dow and O’Brien about really earning it.

An eye to 2021 - Charlie and Kemp are our top recruits. Newman and Williamson an interesting one. If Cottrell holds his position, we may all get our wish and SPS plays up the ground. After that, it’s about who earns it (hoping for Stocker here) and who we bring in.

The third eye is to needs - This is about replacing the older players, some from the ‘Twos’, some from outside. I would most happily bring in Zac Williams, Papley and another ruckman, and a small defender who beats his man. We quite rightly have this thread on what value we give up to get value.

I would see what we can get free agency or trade wise for Kreuzer, Casboult, McGovern and Kennedy.
If it has to be a younger player or 2, the two who we could afford to trade are Dow and O’Brien. I think they both have serious traits (speed and endurance respectively) and flaws (disposal and contested / sufficient disposals respectively), but both would have value and in my opinion I would give one up as part of getting say Papley.

Buy low, sell high. Especially when the product seems like it could "run out" at any minute. Gotta be ruthless with list management - no place for favouritism or attachment.

Given the tall forwards we have, would you not entertain a hypothetical high draft pick and A-grade midfielder for one C. Curnow? I think you'd be mad not to think long and hard about it.
yeh spot on, this is what i was talking about when i asked the question

Charlie Curnow if you could get a Matt Rowell, Zac Williams or good, experienced mid?? Worry about his body and still very valuable as a trade commodity.

Remember, flags often won with depth and even spread, not by stars necessarily.

Arguable whether Charlie and Harry can both play in forward line together anyway.
Only player I can think of that would be capable of generating another quality mid which could really set us alight...

Charlie Curnow if you could get a Matt Rowell, Zac Williams or good, experienced mid?? Worry about his body and still very valuable as a trade commodity.

Arguable whether Charlie and Harry can both play in forward line together anyway.
Only player I can think of that would be capable of generating another quality mid which could really set us alight...

Us having both Charlie and Harry fit and firing and playing in the forward line would be an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders. Have Charlie close to goal and Harry roaming around the 50 kicking it in to him.

There's plenty to be gained by having them both in the team. Fingers crossed that Charlie can get back to playing at the same level that he was before the injuries.

Out of Harry, Charlie, Casboult, McGovern and JSOS, my ideal 3-4 are McKay, Charlie, Casboult and JSOS, in that order, so yes McGovern fifth.

And Casboult is closer to the end of his career, say maybe 2 years.

I would happily trade McGovern and Casboult if we get good value in return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Untouchable

L.Jones
Weitering / Docherty
TDk to Cripps / Walsh
McKay / Martin.
C.Curnow

Casboult stays as he balances the team FWD / 2nd ruck

Ed Curnow is a heart & sole player

so aside from the above anyone else !!

I don't agree that we need to trade players, especially players who have ability but no currency. We can trade picks over a three year cycle now. If we want a player, pay up with picks. I'd like to see SPS, Dow, O Brien, Cuningham, Stocker, JSOS and Fisher, Walsh, Kemp, Curnow, Weitering, McKay, Williamson, Philip, Setterfield and Kennedy, TDK, Pitt play together for a solid chunk of time in their prime (24-30). We might lose one or two when they are more established footballers at 25-26 and actually have currency or they get offered huge contracts from a club below us.

You then think about the current mid aged players, McGovern, Cripps, Docherty, Martin, Marchbank, Plowman. You target a free agent like Williams (fingers bloody crossed), Viney and others in the future, target a ready made gun via trading picks or continue to target youth via the draft and back in organic growth and a steady stream of talent filtering through in every age bracket moving forward. I mean we have a lot of talent already. I back the youth we have brought in via the draft and think our future success will be dependent primarily on them as our core.
Agree with this. We have a list that is still developing and a team that is improving as the season progresses.

I think it’s still too early to make calls on holes in the list- they may (or will) become evident when we become a serious contender. Personally I wouldn’t be trading anyone unless they want to leave, or an extremely talented player wants to come to us.

We are still young, talented and most importantly on an upward trajectory. Team cohesion and loyalty is really important. I’d be loathe to disrupt that for some naff trades instigated by the club.

Intriguing.
Two A Graders then maybe.
Say
Oliver and Paps.
Maybe.

Agree with this. We have a list that is still developing and a team that is improving as the season progresses.

I think it’s still too early to make calls on holes in the list- they may (or will) become evident when we become a serious contender. Personally I wouldn’t be trading anyone unless they want to leave, or an extremely talented player wants to come to us.

We are still young, talented and most importantly on an upward trajectory. Team cohesion and loyalty is really important. I’d be loathe to disrupt that for some naff trades instigated by the club.
I reckon we are 12 months away from making those calls. Get our targets in this year and let it settle.

Give Dow Cuningham LOB and SPS a chance to stake a claim. Let McGovern prove his worth. Or not.

But to do so these guys need a run in their best positions.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Us having both Charlie and Harry fit and firing and playing in the forward line would be an absolute nightmare for opposition defenders. Have Charlie close to goal and Harry roaming around the 50 kicking it in to him.

There's plenty to be gained by having them both in the team. Fingers crossed that Charlie can get back to playing at the same level that he was before the injuries.
There is a huge upside no doubt but as Shandog has said... maybe if we got enough A grade quality back, it might be worth considering.

Looking at the Tiges last night - the only players that were acquired from another club was Nankervis, Houli, Lynch & Prestia - while its an impressive quartet - compare that to what the cats brought in - and how many players did tigers give up? (An ageing deludio and a few delistings of fringe players (ellis, miles)

Why do we need to give away a player to win a flag?

Looking at the Tiges last night - the only players that were acquired from another club was Nankervis, Houli, Lynch & Prestia - while its an impressive quartet - compare that to what the cats brought in - and how many players did tigers give up? (An ageing deludio and a few delistings of fringe players (ellis, miles)

Why do we need to give away a player to win a flag?
What's new pussycat?
Whoah!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back