Who would you feel most comfortable with letting go in exchange for the missing pieces in pursuit of 17?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s just wait to see what bubbles up in the trade period, hopefully there isn’t a need to move anyone. Of more interest might be who is delisted after the trade and draft period and list numbers are finalised.

I know it's a cliché and debatable but anyone is tradable at the right price. What I don't understand, however, is people condoning the diluting of what might eventually make us a premiership threat in the first place. McKay and/or Kemp are tradable for Oliver, really? Once we assemble this mighty fantasy midfield, what does our forward-line look like? Charlie can't even get out on the park and the Gov isn't setting the world on fire by any stretch and arguably never will. You can't simply rely on having all spots covered, you need them to function to at least an acceptable degree and to have strengths on every line. Robbing Peter to pay Paul doesn't even cover it as it's more complex than that.

Last edited:
I never like to see players moved on (pushing JK out the door sucked), if the trade snags you the players or picks to cement you as contenders you do the deal.

Anyone except:
Crippa
H
TDK
Kemp (havent seen him play yet)
Doc
Walshy
Martin
Weiters
Charlie
Philp (havent seen enough yet)
Ramsey (havent seen him play yet)
Not sure about Doc as aside from perhaps the first 3-4 rounds he seemed to struggle. Hopefully he will improve in his second season after the knee injuries.

Not sure about Doc as aside from perhaps the first 3-4 rounds he seemed to struggle. Hopefully he will improve in his second season after the knee injuries.
Doc would have done it tough in the hub(s). Being the leader he is, he would have focussed fully on the well being of his team mates while being isolated from his young family. Aside from any residual physical issues our co skipper would have had some poorly addressed issues. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and no way he would have been "squeaking". Along with the benefit of others commanding attention (Saad) am expecting an AA season from our defensive rock.

Doc would have done it tough in the hub(s). Being the leader he is, he would have focussed fully on the well being of his team mates while being isolated from his young family. Aside from any residual physical issues our co skipper would have had some poorly addressed issues. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and no way he would have been "squeaking". Along with the benefit of others commanding attention (Saad) am expecting an AA season from our defensive rock.
Hope you are right and that he has a great 2021. My sense was that his form and confidence dropped off during and after the St.Kilda game when they made him play on a man rather than just be the floating backman. If so he needs to adress this and be able to have an opponent and still play his natural and confident game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are ahead of you.

They arent anymore. Thank you Jeremy Cameron!

The players we see as essential to our side in the push for the next flag are the same players that other clubs will be targeting and/or wanting to trade into their side.

The players being suggested as surplus to our requirements are not on the list of other clubs looking to trade with us or target players for their own lists.

Then there is the small matter of getting a player that has been requested by the other club to want to go there and leave where they are comfortable. If they say no, how do you keep them happy after telling them you are happy to see them leave the club to go elsewhere?

In a nutshell, the opposition club needs to find a player that will meet one of their needs, hope the player is surplus to our requirements, and then both clubs need to convince said player to leave where they thought they were settled and making a contribution to go to another club that may be in a very different place with regards to contending. All the while, need to keep said player feeling part of the current club and needed in the future, just in case they say no the deal being proposed.

There is a lot of moving parts that need to align which is why most of the time picks are involved in trades, not players.

List of Forwards
  • C.Curnow - Untouchable, coming off an injury his trade value would be too low for what the upside is.
  • L.Casboult - Happy to let him go, if he was to be steak knives in a deal
  • H.Mackay - Untouchable
  • M.Mcgovern - I will drive to Princes park to uber him to the airport
  • T.De Koning - Interesting, has a big spruik and think he will become elite, but if a deal was good enough I would at least consider
List of Midfielders
  • S.Walsh - Untouchable
  • L.Obrien - Would look at options
  • P.Dow - Happy for him to go, has not developed with us and for his own career might need a fresh start
  • D.Cuningham - Not sure there would be a suitor, may as well keep around
  • M.Kennedy - Happy for him to go if there is a suitor
  • L.Stocker - We may as well hold out for another year to see if SOS and Bolts were right
  • Z.Fisher - I love Zac so the offer would need to be good
List of Defenders
  • S.Petrevski Seton - Wouldnt say no, but would need to be good
  • T.Williamson - Just starting to come good, keep
  • C.Marchbank - Is a quality player, would need to be a good offer
  • L.PLowman - Happy to look at offers

A) Who’s in the slot for a top 4 tilt with a missing piece?

B) what player do we have that fills that hole?

I don’t think an underperforming young player gets us anything and the untried need time so it’s probably someone like Liam Jones to a club like Port or the Pies.

But what would he get us and shouldn’t we be keeping him for 2021/22?

other than him I’m not sure we have anything that we don’t want to keep or would get us much.

Buy low, sell high. Especially when the product seems like it could "run out" at any minute. Gotta be ruthless with list management - no place for favouritism or attachment.

Given the tall forwards we have, would you not entertain a hypothetical high draft pick and A-grade midfielder for one C. Curnow? I think you'd be mad not to think long and hard about it.
Hate to say it...

If we were smart we would have traded him for Oliver before this happened and taken Ben Brown for basically free

Remove this Banner Ad

Back