Who would you have at North Paul Roos or Mark Williams.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After seeing Melbourne today did North do the right by getting Paul Roos or should we have chased Mark Williams.
I wonder what Mark Williams would have done differently had he been at North instead of Paul Roos.
It would be interesting to see what people on Big Footy have to say.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We brought in Paul Roos to help our coaches develop and after the Shaw fiasco, not just the mental breakdown but how he did not develop as a coach in his second year, it was a shrewd decision. From what I can tell from watching Noble is growing as a coach each week. It's refreshing to watch how nimble he is on gameday and some of his moves like Ziebell and Hall to the backline have been massive successes.

Choco has gone to Melbourne for player development, which he is adept at. I would have loved it if we had both but I'm not as pessimistic on our player development as some. I think the fact that we've turned Simpkin from an in-and-out half forward to an AFL grade midfielder is testament to a turning of the corner in that regard. Thomas, Taylor and Scott all have work to do but I see them still growing in some increments.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
We brought in Paul Roos to help our coaches develop and after the Shaw fiasco, not just the mental breakdown but how he did not develop as a coach in his second year, it was a shrewd decision. From what I can tell from watching Noble is growing as a coach each week. It's refreshing to watch how nimble he is on gameday and some of his moves like Ziebell and Hall to the backline have been massive successes.

Choco has gone to Melbourne for player development, which he is adept at. I would have loved it if we had both but I'm not as pessimistic on our player development as some. I think the fact that we've turned Simpkin from an in-and-out half forward to an AFL grade midfielder is testament to a turning of the corner in that regard. Thomas, Taylor and Scott all have work to do but I see them still growing in some increments.

Pretty much spot on. It's not one or the other as they perform different roles. Both would be great.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
After seeing Melbourne today did North do the right by getting Paul Roos or should we have chased Mark Williams.
I wonder what Mark Williams would have done differently had he been at North instead of Paul Roos.
Chalk and cheese. Williams would have been the best option for mine as senior coach.

IMO it's to keep city hall off our back as well.

They installed Roos at Melbourne when Melbourne were s**t.

It's been done as a means to buy us time.

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Great post Hoffa.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I and 99% on this board would have NFI what either of them is bringing to each club.

step up

Rookie
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Williams would be the better choice by the length of the Flemington straight
Roos is mates with Ben Buckley, John Blakey et al, he is there to promote himself, promote his wife's business within the Club, he visits Arden Street to pick up his pay cheque and watch his son play in the VFL. He is a paid consultant and not committed to he club.
Williams is a full time employee who works with the young players day in and day out.
To think the Board and CEO need Paul Roos to assist them with Club matters and direction suggests we have the wrong Board and CEO and based upon last year and this shambolic rebuild, sad time for once proud club
Poor choice and no doubt he will move on when it suits him.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hmm a guy who has played over 300 games and won a flag after 70 odd years or listen to some flog who has never achieved anything in football. Tough one
Personally I don’t mind the Roos appointment but I think you are under rating Choco. Pies Captain, coached Port to their first premiership and been heavily involved in Dusty’s development.

archerboy

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally I don’t mind the Roos appointment but I think you are under rating Choco. Pies Captain, coached Port to their first premiership and been heavily involved in Dusty’s development.
I think they both have heaps to offer and would of been happy with either of them. I was more passing commentary on a certain poster.

In light of the fact that Choco threw his hat in the ring for the main coaching gig but wasn't even short listed, I reckon that he'd probably be spending a fair portion of his time white-anting Noble.

Back