Universal Love Who would you have, Roughy or Buddy?

Who would you rather?

• Buddy

Votes: 96 60.4%
  • Roughy

Votes: 63 39.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. And we would be a better team with Franklin in the side, there's literally no refuting this. Every single team in the competition would be better with the best forward in the league in their side.

Some of these posts are complete madness.

It's not madness, it's blind devotion and a lot of people are unable to take credit towards Bud without interpreting it as a slight to wards Roughy.

As you said, anyone who says that - for 2018 - they would prefer Roughead the footballer over Buddy the footballer is living in baised denial, but there is nothing wrong with that!

So Buddy would make our forward line better?

Fact of the matter is we have a little bloke with 4 Jock McHale medals to his name who has a track record of playing Buddy as a decoy and surprise surprise he actually played the decoy role in his final year with us when that little bloke picked up his 2nd Jock McHale.

Our forward lines strength is it's unpredictability.

Roughy is more than a Hawthorn champ.
Rough is family.

Buddy instead of Roughy would make our forward line better in 2018. Buddy would make every forward line better. Dude is all time.

The sentimental stuff just skews the discussion, we all feel the same about Roughy, the topic is who would you prefer this year.

This thread is who would you have, not who is a better forward!

Hawthorn have a striking recent record on recruiting character above talent.

Dermott nailed it way back in 2007. http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...9b2c64661?sv=3bcada3ba458e830516efd23a0a01d20

Pick 2
Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)

STRONG-minded kid who will play 150-plus games. He will be the rock who will take heat while those around him flourish.
Will win some games for the club but it is hoped he will be a consistent key position, jack-of-all-trades player like Paul Dear in the '90s.

Pick 5
Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)

PROBABLY more talented than Nick Riewoldt, which in itself is an enormous statement.
Has improved his overhead marking this year. So now there is actually no correct way to play him if he's "on".
He is too tall, too quick, too agile and has too much endurance for every defender I can think of. But he is also, on occasion, too confident. Even though I kind of like that!
He is the only player that Jason Dunstall and I have gasped at in amazement over pure ability. We were sitting together watching pre-season training last year when Franklin crumbed a half-volleyed ball at blistering pace without breaking stride.
Running directly towards the contest, the spiked spoil from Trent Croad flew to Buddy's ankles like a tracer bullet.
Franklin gloved it cleanly, and in one take - his reflex reaction would have made Brian Lara sit up and applaud.
He ran through the congestion as fast as Carl Lewis before the pack of players even knew he had the ball.
My jaw and Dunstall's dropped simultaneously.
His face had the same look of wonderment that Mike Gatting had on his when Shane Warne bowled him around his legs.
I don't believe that people that tall should be allowed to run that quick and be that well co-ordinated. It defied human physiological capabilities.
In that briefest of moments we both knew that this kid was rare. Not the type of footballing species that was becoming extinct, but the type of footballer that had not yet been invented!

I see the same in Charlie Curnow which is why I think he will be the number 1 forward in 2 or 3 years time. He is so dynamic all over the ground. Like buddy, people will look back at Curnow's draft and say he was the best player to come out of it.

What if we'd rather have Rough the person at the club?

It's not just about on field.

It's also a personal question, so it's time to put the you're an idiot/moron/delusional type stuff to bed

Roughie has been the go to man when we need help, whether it be full back, chb, midfield or in the ruck and
always did well. Buddy hasn't got that on his resume and can't match Rough's versatility or leadership. More
ticks for Roughie.

Buddy is a match winner and can single handedly turn a result on it's head, Roughy just goes with flow of the game..

But at the end of the day, it really depends on what criteria your basing this question?

For pure football - Buddy... doesn't compare
Club person/loyalty - You would go Roughy

Our forward line was just as effective in 2014 and 2015 as it was in 2013. (The year we cleared buddy out of the f50 to make us less predictable etc.)

When i say effective I mean stood the test and won the flag. The only measure of effectiveness this club holds true. (so don't hit me with meaningless stats).

Would we have made buddy captain?
Hell no. Doesn't offer a whole lot of leadership especially off field.

What if we'd rather have Rough the person at the club?
It's not just about on field.
It's also a personal question, so it's time to put the you're an idiot/moron/delusional type stuff to bed

Sounds good.
But lets apply the same thinking to some other players....
Richie Vandenberg never gave Clarko anything but unadulterated yesses and impeccable leadership for a struggling team...
You taking Richie or Shane-lots of spunk and some me-ness-Crawford? Hmmm.:D
Russell Morris was a peachy human being....soooooo, Russell over Dermott?

What people are using the 'quality of human/loyalty to the club' argument' for is to sway the ledger they see as close, Rough's way.
It aint close, sorry. Blinkers and all is nice, but Rough isn't in Buddys league except on his very best day against a very good one for Franklin.
Wish Jarryd had been a more consistent player, would bring the argument into a more balanced proposition.
Doesn't take away from Rough having been a terrific servant of the club, but come on......;)

Buddy instead of Roughy would make our forward line better in 2018. Buddy would make every forward line better. Dude is all time.

The sentimental stuff just skews the discussion, we all feel the same about Roughy, the topic is who would you prefer this year.

No it isn't; "... if you were running the Hawks and both came to you at the end of 2013 saying one would leave but the other would stay, who would you rather keep around?"

Sounds good.
Richie Vandenberg never gave Clarko anything but unadulterated yesses and impeccable leadership for a struggling team...

What people are using the 'quality of human/loyalty to the club' argument' for is to sway the ledger they see as close, Rough's way.
It aint close, sorry. Blinkers and all is nice, but Rough isn't in Buddys league except on his very best day against a very good one for Franklin.
Wish Jarryd had been a more consistent player, would bring the argument into a more balanced proposition.
Doesn't take away from Rough having been a terrific servant of the club, but come on......;)

This is a very poor dramatisation of the Rough over Buddy argument. Vandenberg is nowhere close to the same league as Crawford, of course no one would pick Vandenberg in that situation.

The gap between Rough and Buddy is a lot smaller, Buddy may be one of the top 3 players in the modern game but Rough has been in the top 10 (not just my opinion, the opinion of many media pundits as well) - so the on-field and off-field leadership comes into play to a much greater degree.

Take your stupid strawman arguments elsewhere please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very poor dramatisation of the Rough over Buddy argument. Vandenberg is nowhere close to the same league as Crawford, of course no one would pick Vandenberg in that situation.

The gap between Rough and Buddy is a lot smaller, Buddy may be one of the top 3 players in the modern game but Rough has been in the top 10 (not just my opinion, the opinion of many media pundits as well) - so the on-field and off-field leadership comes into play to a much greater degree.

Take your stupid strawman arguments elsewhere please.

Ah, the imperious tone. Nice. I had forgotten your lordship chose who and where posters should present their thoughts.
Tell me, was it you I was responding to?
Take your highhorse and place it carefully where the sun doesn't shine.
Your fawning over Roughead and elevating him into a top 10 player (please name the pundits you've sanctioned to your argument.....o_O) in the league is so clearly damning to your argument, everything else you write is dismissable, so I will.

Ah, the imperious tone. Nice. I had forgotten your lordship chose who and where posters should present their thoughts.
Tell me, was it you I was responding to?
Take your highhorse and place it carefully where the sun doesn't shine.
Your fawning over Roughead and elevating him into a top 10 player (please name the pundits you've sanctioned to your argument.....o_O) in the league is so clearly damning to your argument, everything else you write is dismissable, so I will.

You're replying to my thread, I posed the question. Two and two together?

Rough was in the top 10 of the Official AFL player ratings in 2014/2015. Pretty sure both Sheahan and Slobbo have had him top ten at some point and they're the only two that really do rankings.

You're replying to my thread, I posed the question. Two and two together?

Rough was in the top 10 of the Official AFL player ratings in 2014/2015. Pretty sure both Sheahan and Slobbo have had him top ten at some point and they're the only two that really do rankings.

Makes no difference who starts a thread, the topic is the topic for all to share. Gralin made an interesting point, I was responding to his idea.
I'm not a big believer you should tell me or anyone else to go take their stupid argument elsewhere, unless you're Clarko.
For him, I'd never grace these pages again with barely a goodbye.

Sounds good.

Mate on a purely personal level I'd take Rough

I'd love Buddy back at the club but not at the expense of #2, no way am I pushing Rough out the door

I don't care who is the better player, they wouldn't play the same role in our team, we wouldn't be the same team and we wouldn't play the same way we do now if we swapped them.

We'd also have a different Captain, because it wouldn't be Buddy. If you think the off field stuff and leadership stuff shouldn't be part of the decision that's fine but don't dismiss others who believe it matters.

Like I said it's a personal choice who each poster would pick based on how they feel. There isn't a wrong answer

It seems people are arguing two different points. I had to unignore to see what the hell the discussion was about.
Some people are laughably saying buddy is a better footballer than roughy. As if that is relevant. The question was "Who would you have?" thus any answer is correct. People who belittle sentimentality have not read the question. The question was "Who would you have." Not "Who is the better player."

Mate on a purely personal level I'd take Rough

I'd love Buddy back at the club but not at the expense of #2, no way am I pushing Rough out the door

I don't care who is the better player, they wouldn't play the same role in our team, we wouldn't be the same team and we wouldn't play the same way we do now if we swapped them.

We'd also have a different Captain, because it wouldn't be Buddy. If you think the off field stuff and leadership stuff shouldn't be part of the decision that's fine but don't dismiss others who believe it matters.

Like I said it's a personal choice who each poster would pick based on how they feel. There isn't a wrong answer

It is a credit that Rough is still playing with the treatments he has had for cancer, I think they said he still has some issues with nerve with his kicking feet.

I take it more people will choose Buddy as is freakish and does it consistantly, better forward.

However, should take note that both were not good at kicking goals, no one was better at getting the ball than Franklin but what happened after that was the issue. I think Clarkson should take alot of credit when Franklin left made us a better team and a major reason for winning 3 premierships in a row, Bruest, Gunston were good set shots and sharing it around 3-4 players made us less predictable than just one person.

It seems people are arguing two different points. I had to unignore to see what the hell the discussion was about.
Some people are laughably saying buddy is a better footballer than roughy. As if that is relevant. The question was "Who would you have?" thus any answer is correct. People who belittle sentimentality have not read the question. The question was "Who would you have." Not "Who is the better player."

LOL your still saying you'd rather Rough right now in 2018 ? you could make a case for Roughy 3 years ago, but thinking it now is kind of sad. sadly as things stand as much as Rough is a good bloke and team man he probably isn't in the 10 best players at the club anymore.

LOL your still saying you'd rather Rough right now in 2018 ? you could make a case for Roughy 3 years ago, but thinking it now is kind of sad. sadly as things stand as much as Rough is a good bloke and team man he probably isn't in the 10 best players at the club anymore.
Who would you rather have isn't who do you think is a better forward.

It is literally who would you rather have at the club, it's a question that can have nothing to do with football ability.

You want Buddy because you are only looking at it from who would you pick first. That's fine, that's your choice, you don't need to force everyone else to make the same choice, not everyone looks at it that way

Who would you rather have isn't who do you think is a better forward.

It is literally who would you rather have at the club, it's a question that can have nothing to do with football ability.

You want Buddy because you are only looking at it from who would you pick first. That's fine, that's your choice, you don't need to force everyone else to make the same choice, not everyone looks at it that way

Yeah mate I'm not in the playing group so it's highly unlikely I'm going to pick who is the better bloke.

Yeah mate I'm not in the playing group so it's highly unlikely I'm going to pick who is the better bloke.
Which is fine, I'm not in the playing group either doesn't mean I have to pick on the same criteria as you or anyone else though does it

Back