Universal Love Who would you have, Roughy or Buddy?

Who would you rather?

• Buddy

Votes: 96 60.4%
  • Roughy

Votes: 63 39.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I addressed both then and now.

With regards to the money situation though you are right - that would change a whole lot and would have had a large ripple effect that we would be feeling even now. With that in mind I'm glad things have worked out the way that did, but if we are talking in isolation right now then it's clear who would be better.

Franklin did SFA in both the 2008 and 2013 Grand Finals, the only premierships he has won.

Gary Ablett senior had a similar career, great player who couldn't win Grand Finals.

Franklin did SFA in both the 2008 and 2013 Grand Finals, the only premierships he has won.

Gary Ablett senior had a similar career, great player who couldn't win Grand Finals.

Who is the better player? That's what this comes down to.

Edit: How is he comparable to Ablett? For a start he already has 2 flags. And then you say he's been rubbish in Grand Finals, which obviously isn't the case anyway. Against both Geelong and Freo he was up against the best defenders that season in Scarlett and McPharlin. He wasn't his dominating best but he was far from rubbish.

Also Ablett put on one of the all time best GF performances in history in '89, and that wasn't enough. Clearly it's a team game and regardless of how individually great they are; if the team as a whole isn't good enough then they won't win.

Last edited:
The post you quoted was talking about 2013 not this week
I wouldn't be so sure on those two other flags either considering they had a big offer on the table to Bud whichbwoukd have stopped them from keeping everyone together after 2013 if he'd taken it.

The list would still have been together for the imminent period after 2013 though, much like the Richmond list now after Dusty signed that huge deal.

2013 he wasn't a match winner or anything but he wasn't nearly as bad as everyone makes out, had 18 touches 6 marks, 5 tackles and a goal on one of the premier defenders in the comp at the time.

The list would still have been together for the imminent period after 2013 though, much like the Richmond list now after Dusty signed that huge deal.
Maybe, or maybe we miss out on McEvoy because we can't afford him or Frawley the following year, someone probably would have been squeezed out, Dusty signed on after a big cap increase at a club that hadn't played In a grand final for a long time let alone won one.

We had a few more established stars on that list than the tigers did and a much smaller cap to play with

Maybe, or maybe we miss out on McEvoy because we can't afford him or Frawley the following year, someone probably would have been squeezed out, Dusty signed on after a big cap increase at a club that hadn't played In a grand final for a long time let alone won one.

We had a few more established stars on that list than the tigers did and a much smaller cap to play with

I suppose this is all hypothetical speculation from our behalf though as none of us really know.

Who is the better player? That's what this comes down to.
No it doesn't. The question is "Who would to have?" not "who is a better player."

I suppose this is all hypothetical speculation from our behalf though as none of us really know.
Well Clarkson said it helped keep the list together for a threepeat and they were lucky that they didn't end up putting all the eggs in the Buddy basket but you can take that with a grain of salt as well I imagine

I think that cap space certainly made the job of keeping the list together easier but doesn't mean we couldn't have seen three in a row with Buddy still there

So right now who would you have in the side?
Rough because I'd never turf him for someone who left the club, plus he's our Captain.

Others will say Buddy because he's Buddy

I get it, I'm not saying Rough this year is playing at a higher level than Buddy just that if I have to pick one I pick Rough, if we could get Buddy back via a midseason trade I'd play them both though

Anyone that says Rough in the side over Bud in 2018 is just total Hawthorn bias.
It's the Hawks board we're allowed to have total Hathorn bias

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the Hawks board we're allowed to have total Hathorn bias

Yeah that's fine if people want to say Rough because he was more loyal, never walked out etc, I can understand that argument. My sole point in this thread has only ever been taking the sentimental side of things out we'd be a stronger team with Buddy in it in 2018 compared to Rough.

Yeah that's fine if people want to say Rough because he was more loyal, never walked out etc, I can understand that argument. My sole point in this thread has only ever been taking the sentimental side of things out we'd be a stronger team with Buddy in it in 2018 compared to Rough.
On field yes you'd think so
Off field I disagree

All hypothetical anyway, he ain't coming back

So right now who would you have in the side?
The one that allows me to have the team that will win a premiership. If I take buddy, i lose a bunch of other players. And I couldn't live with myself, if I picked a one man team.

Anyone that says Rough in the side over Bud in 2018 is just total Hawthorn bias.
Anyone who says buddy has no idea how salary cap works. You might notice the swans no longer have tom mitchell.

Lance without hesitating. Not sure why people trying to justify Roughead in the same class, he is one wrung below Buddy The Great!!!

Why? We won the multiple Premierships without him, which I think was the point of the post. This year we are 1 game and 0.02 percentage points behind the Swines so we're doing ok without him.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Amazing effort for the swans to be above us considering they sold their soul for one player.

Back