Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you so convinced johnno has Collingwoods best interests at heart? Why would he?

Sure he might state 'it's best for Collingwood' but he might not actually think that, he might actually be wanting for Collingwood to continue in poor rudderless form.

Fair speculation. No evidence to suggest one way or the other, apart from johnno being far from a fan of Collingwood.

Has zero to do with 'enhancing johnno's professional reputation'.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

We are only having this absurd debate because people who want Buckley sacked, can’t stomach the fact that the media are not on their side to increase the pressure on the Club.
So they concoct the ridiculous narrative that commentators like Johnson are disingenuously supporting Buckley to ensure Coll continues to struggle - because heaven forbid they should genuinely believe Bucks is the best man for the job.

The reality is that the Club can’t sack everyone, no matter how justified it would be to do so.

Increasingly, I think the most likely outcome is that Buckley will be re-signed soon for a two year extension to quieten the media pack that smells blood but most other positions in the coaching, recruitment and list management teams will be spilled. The Board will give Graeme Wright a blank cheque to go hunting for the best support team to help Bucks that money can buy.

I don’t particularly think it will work but I reckon that’s what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The reality is that the Club can’t sack everyone, no matter how justified it would be to do so.

Increasingly, I think the most likely outcome is that Buckley will be re-signed soon for a two year extension to quieten the media pack that smells blood but most other positions in the coaching, recruitment and list management teams will be spilled. The Board will give Graeme Wright a blank cheque to go hunting for the best support team to help Bucks that money can buy.

I don’t particularly think it will work but I reckon that’s what will happen.

I hope this is what will happen, but I fear this week will seal Bucks's fate.

Seeing Coll stay down is why you believe he’s supporting Buckley - but you offer no explanation as to why a professional commentator would benefit from an illogical and biased view.
My point is made.
They don’t benefit. But they could easily be working together in the media pretty soon. So it’s a lot easier to back him. Seems no past players except Lloydy wants to put his balls on the line, and risk having to explain to Bucks why he hung him out to dry, either now or after his coaching career ends...

it’s a v small world the AFL community, and even Lyon kisses Ed’s ass on FC, and refuses to be overtly critical of coaches and clubs in general

The flaw in your defence of Buckley is very apparent.
The assistants are Buckley’s men. He recruited them. He has continued to support their employment year after year.
Your assessment of both assistants is spot on.
But Buckley’s failure to understand these failings and continue to have them as his right hand men is the very reason he has to go.
Man has no idea.
I get what you are saying, but does he have the final word on who his assistants are? If he does,. then yes you are right.

I don’t see it that way at all.
What they are saying should be totally expected by a club wanting to show some unity for the season rather than have daily speculation on whether the senior coach will be sacked next week.

What do you want Wright and Korda to say? Buckley is on notice and if we don’t win games soon we are sacking him??

Of course they aren’t going to say that and cause even more disruption to the playing group.

And if they come out saying it’s all about ‘win/loss’ do you think Buckley will give many of these kids will get an opportunity?
Buckley is not a Malthouse type, he does what is best for the team. He is playing the kids because he has no choice, not because he wants to develop them but because we have no other options. This is the diabolical situation we are in.

Why not try something different and sign two head coaches.. let’s say Yze and Leppa. Then a further couple below them. plus a development head. Seems like the head role is too stressful for one person. So split it up and share the load. Each would bring one of their best with them. Doubt we have the people with foresight at the club to do that though. Anderson is prob calling Ed everyday asking him what to do...

Why not try something different and sign two head coaches.. let’s say Yze and Leppa. Then a further couple below them. plus a development head. Seems like the head role is too stressful for one person. So split it up and share the load. Each would bring one of their best with them. Doubt we have the people with foresight at the club to do that though. Anderson is prob calling Ed everyday asking him what to do...
There is a footy department cap. You’re not going to get good coaches splitting pay down the middle.

The potential for leadership stalemates and indecision is a risk.

Coaching is stressful which is why coaches need quality support but ultimately someone strong with a clear vision needs to be in charge.

Seeing Coll stay down is why you believe he’s supporting Buckley - but you offer no explanation as to why a professional commentator would benefit from an illogical and biased view.
My point is made.
Why do you routinely insist on people being fully logical and rational actors in all situations? They are not, and never will be. That's far too prescriptive an assumption about the individual rather than being actually descriptive of what goes on

I agree he is not solely to blame. Our list management has been terrible as have our injuries.
However that does not excuse the crap style of football we play.
2018 was the only time we played consistent exciting footy. Even in 19 when we were winning games it was still blah football to watch.
List management debacles and injuries are no excuse for constantly selecting players who are not performing and our horrible game plan.
Chip, chip, chip, handpass the ball to a player under pressure, concede turnover, concede goal.
In only on of the last 10 years have we played exciting, skillful football.
He has to go.

Watching our footy is just horrible, and the way we played in 2018 is a distant memory. Have no idea why the significant change, and not sure if it’s all down to Bucks, but that’s the fate of coaches - to be blamed.

I think we need change, but it needs to be the right change. In typical Collingwood fashion, let’s try really hard not to shoot ourselves in the foot. A lot of this responsibility rests with Graeme Wright. He better know what he’s doing.

I still don't get the doom and gloom posters that think we are destined for bottom 4 for years and need a total list re-build.
Footy these day and you can spin it around in as little as a year or two, It could be a game plan re-set (Sydney) An attitude and application improvement (Doggies) Or a new coach/Assistants.
It becomes less about the list and more about other factors, the game has never been as tactical or strategy based as it is now and this year has proved the divide between teams on any given day is not all that great.
What I see is the same old fundamentals and principles that Bucks trots out like contest is king, what a load of Garbage, Geelong and WC are not contested based teams but have brilliant systems in place to maintain the footy and control games, this is why they appear to be two of the cleanest kicking teams going around while Collingwood why have nothing but Contest, grunt and scrap as the real fundamental of our play appear to be a poor disposal and movement team because the lack of time with CLEAN footy and space means there is a clear disconnect with players up the ground, hence our lack of understanding with eachother.
No for mine a cleanout in the coaching ranks will have us on the right track and quite quickly to be honest.

We are only having this absurd debate because people who want Buckley sacked, can’t stomach the fact that the media are not on their side to increase the pressure on the Club.
So they concoct the ridiculous narrative that commentators like Johnson are disingenuously supporting Buckley to ensure Coll continues to struggle - because heaven forbid they should genuinely believe Bucks is the best man for the job.

Before I respond I don't know one way or the other - we'd all have to be mind readers to know for sure, so we can only speculate.

OK each to their own, you assert that it's a 'ridiculous narrative' - without any clear evidence. Yeah on face value, one could just brush it aside as ridiculous.

Would you say the same for oppo supporters? Would they have our best interests at heart? We've seen plenty of posts from oppo fans wanting Buckley to stay on so our club avoids success.

Guys like Whateley and Johnson are known for not being ardent fans of Collingwood being successful or even contending, now IF they're in the mindset that they want Buckley stay for that reason of course they're not going to commentate that. They're going to tow the line of what their bosses want of how they commentate their 'expert opinion'. They're going to use the 'what's best for Collingwood' line.

Again, don't believe everything you read or hear. It's not that ridiculous that johnno and others are quietly hoping that Nathan stays in a hope it goes awry for our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still don't get the doom and gloom posters that think we are destined for bottom 4 for years and need a total list re-build.
Footy these day and you can spin it around in as little as a year or two, It could be a game plan re-set (Sydney) An attitude and application improvement (Doggies) Or a new coach/Assistants.
It becomes less about the list and more about other factors, the game has never been as tactical or strategy based as it is now and this year has proved the divide between teams on any given day is not all that great.
What I see is the same old fundamentals and principles that Bucks trots out like contest is king, what a load of Garbage, Geelong and WC are not contested based teams but have brilliant systems in place to maintain the footy and control games, this is why they appear to be two of the cleanest kicking teams going around while Collingwood why have nothing but Contest, grunt and scrap as the real fundamental of our play appear to be a poor disposal and movement team because the lack of time with CLEAN footy and space means there is a clear disconnect with players up the ground, hence our lack of understanding with eachother.
No for mine a cleanout in the coaching ranks will have us on the right track and quite quickly to be honest.

I hope you’re right but struggle to believe it.

Our midfield in particular is a huge problem. Roll forward two years and Pendles, Sidebottom, Greenwood, JT, Elliott, Mayne and probably Sier and one/both of the Browns will all be gone. Who will make up our core midfield group then and how can they possibly compete with the likes of what Bulldogs, Dees, Lyons and Swans will be fielding?

Why do you routinely insist on people being fully logical and rational actors in all situations? They are not, and never will be. That's far too prescriptive an assumption about the individual rather than being actually descriptive of what goes on

It’s only by probing the logic, that I can establish if it’s purely emotion driving the opinion.

I can’t accept there’s a media conspiracy to keep Coll down, by advocating for Bucks to be re- signed.
Its makes no sense.

Last edited:
Before I respond I don't know one way or the other - we'd all have to be mind readers to know for sure, so we can only speculate.

OK each to their own, you assert that it's a 'ridiculous narrative' - without any clear evidence. Yeah on face value, one could just brush it aside as ridiculous.

Would you say the same for oppo supporters? Would they have our best interests at heart? We've seen plenty of posts from oppo fans wanting Buckley to stay on so our club avoids success.

Guys like Whateley and Johnson are known for not being ardent fans of Collingwood being successful or even contending, now IF they're in the mindset that they want Buckley stay for that reason of course they're not going to commentate that. They're going to tow the line of what their bosses want of how they commentate their 'expert opinion'. They're going to use the 'what's best for Collingwood' line.

Again, don't believe everything you read or hear. It's not that ridiculous that johnno and others are quietly hoping that Nathan stays in a hope it goes awry for our club.

We’re talking about professional commentators not oppo fans.
Where is the evidence Whately and Jonno are haters ?
I agree if you were talking about Andy Maher.
On the balance of probabilities is survival in the media based on objective commentary, or pushing petty individual agendas like keeping Coll down, and/or other similar illogical biases?

FD spend cap.

We’re talking about professional commentators not oppo fans.
Where is the evidence Whately and Jonno are haters ?
I agree if you were talking about Andy Maher.
On the balance of probabilities is survival in the media based on objective commentary, or pushing petty individual agendas like keeping Coll down, and/or other similar illogical biases?

We can only speculate on what the minds of commentators are really thinking, if you think that every thought marries exactly what they say that'd be naive.

Never said Whateley and johnno were haters, said they weren't ardent fans, they aren't.

There's no reason that guys like these are NOT wishing our club to stay down as much they success for their own, yes they are oppo supporters. Again that is speculation but it's fair speculation.

I think this is a not much argument in the scheme of things, the club will not listen to it's fans let alone the media - so I don't think it'd have any effect whatever any media commentators says what's the best direction for our club.

We can only speculate on what the minds of commentators are really thinking, if you think that every thought marries exactly what they say that'd be naive.

Never said Whateley and johnno were haters, said they weren't ardent fans, they aren't.

There's no reason that guys like these are NOT wishing our club to stay down as much they success for their own, yes they are oppo supporters. Again that is speculation but it's fair speculation.

I think this is a not much argument in the scheme of things, the club will not listen to it's fans let alone the media - so I don't think it'd have any effect whatever any media commentators says what's the best direction for our club.

I think you under estimate the power of the media.
I doubt any Coach has lost their job without the media having started the " jungle drums" or "piled on" to eventually help take the scalp.

Last edited:
I think you under estimate the power of the media.
I doubt any Coach has lost their job without the media having started the " jungle drums" or "piled on" to eventually help take the scalp.

Going by history of the club, they don't listen to us supporters let alone the media. Apparently the instagram post by the club after Saturdays game had the comments section locked out, if that doesn't tell you that the club doesn't listen to the fan base then I don't know what does.

Anyway going by the comments of Buckley, Wright and Korda, the club is not going to be swayed by media commentary. So the conversation around what journos say vs what they actually think has little relevance IMO.

Clarkson
Caracella
Mitchell

In that order.
Why Caracella and Mitchell? What about them guarantees success? Clarkson I get the argument, and I tend to agree but even then is his approach to coaching conducive to a modern day (sensitive) player...he strikes me more as an old school coach like mick Malthouse

I get what you are saying, but does he have the final word on who his assistants are? If he does,. then yes you are right.
Of course he does. The coach usually brings in his team of assistants because after all, they need to be able to work together.

We have seen the assistants who were brought in end of 2017 (post review) and the significant difference they made to our performance. Was that forced? Maybe, but Bucks would have had to tick it off.

My concern is that those assistants have now exited and we retained the only 2 that were there pre-2018. One of which is an extremely close friend of Buckley’s.
If Buckle is re-signed for 2 years, Wright needs to step in and replace Sanderson and Harvey because Bucks won’t make that call.

Of course he does. The coach usually brings in his team of assistants because after all, they need to be able to work together.

We have seen the assistants who were brought in end of 2017 (post review) and the significant difference they made to our performance. Was that forced? Maybe, but Bucks would have had to tick it off.

My concern is that those assistants have now exited and we retained the only 2 that were there pre-2018. One of which is an extremely close friend of Buckley’s.
If Buckle is re-signed for 2 years, Wright needs to step in and replace Sanderson and Harvey because Bucks won’t make that call.

Maybe the club has a football department budget issue also? Cut the good ones and keep the cheap ones. Can't imagine many clubs beating the door down for Sanderson or Harvey, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back