Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think the only thing that is going to
Before I respond I don't know one way or the other - we'd all have to be mind readers to know for sure, so we can only speculate.

OK each to their own, you assert that it's a 'ridiculous narrative' - without any clear evidence. Yeah on face value, one could just brush it aside as ridiculous.

Would you say the same for oppo supporters? Would they have our best interests at heart? We've seen plenty of posts from oppo fans wanting Buckley to stay on so our club avoids success.

Guys like Whateley and Johnson are known for not being ardent fans of Collingwood being successful or even contending, now IF they're in the mindset that they want Buckley stay for that reason of course they're not going to commentate that. They're going to tow the line of what their bosses want of how they commentate their 'expert opinion'. They're going to use the 'what's best for Collingwood' line.

Again, don't believe everything you read or hear. It's not that ridiculous that johnno and others are quietly hoping that Nathan stays in a hope it goes awry for our club.

So if a media person wants bucks out, he is thinking of the best interests of the club and if he wants bucks to stay, he wants to undermine the club...

so the only answer is to give buckley the boot. .....finally an answer!

I hope you’re right but struggle to believe it.

Our midfield in particular is a huge problem. Roll forward two years and Pendles, Sidebottom, Greenwood, JT, Elliott, Mayne and probably Sier and one/both of the Browns will all be gone. Who will make up our core midfield group then and how can they possibly compete with the likes of what Bulldogs, Dees, Lyons and Swans will be fielding?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good question, and by then we will still have Adams, Both Daicos and at least two of Rantall, McInnes, Poulter, McCrae really starting to stamp their mark on the team, add to that anyone we pick up in the drafts as well.
The key is to add ready talent in the next year or two which I suspect we will hence the clearout last year, Merrett is a chance and guys like Charlie Constable from Geelong should be really looked at.
You can add a lot of depth within a year in different areas of the team and the middle is probably the easiest place to do it, that should be our focus and really, if we can't over the next two years then that is really not good enough from our list management.

the master coach - clarkson - is at least 2 years into a rebuild and hawthorn is currently 16th. to those that say turnaround can be fast are kidding themselves

Maybe the club has a football department budget issue also? Cut the good ones and keep the cheap ones. Can't imagine many clubs beating the door down for Sanderson or Harvey, to be honest.
We bet the house and the farm on a premiership in 2019, not entirely ludicrous given our performance in 2018...Phillips, Stephenson, Degoey on big money was a shocking move...Grundy on an immovable contract also. It’s as though we had a fear that the ex girlfriend would bang another bloke....so we keep her at all costs which ends in all parties unhappy.

All clubs lose quality players to win premierships, our approach paying everyone a minimum of 500k was ridiculous. We bet the farm and the house, injuries, dated strategy and COVID did their thing and the rest is history.

I put the blame firmly on the board and the footy department for that mess, Buckley has done nothing but deal with the fall out.And potentially also picking the wrong assistant coaches.

the master coach - clarkson - is at least 2 years into a rebuild and hawthorn is currently 16th. to those that say turnaround can be fast are kidding themselves
Difference is mate Hawthorn has easily less talent than we what we have on the list and they have shown a hell of a lot more structure and system than what we have, ladder position doesn't indicate the progress a team is making or how quickly you can move up in a season or two.
You watch Hawthorn and you can see where they are going and how they want to go about it.
You watch Collingwood and you can see what's in front of you and it doesn't look like progress it looks like the opposite.

And the Hawthorn supporters are saying, “That’s cool. He won us three in a row and we’ve won twelve premierships since 1970. Take your time. We are a professionally managed club and we’ll be back in it sooner than later”.

Meanwhile down at Collingwood…

“Nathan’s doing well. He deserves a contract renewal. Ten years, no flags and time for a third rebuild under the same coach. Flags aren’t everything. It’s all about the love these days. Anyway, lets head down to the bottom of the garden to the wigwam, commune with the faeries, crochet some scarves and drink camomile tea to ease the nerves".

Last edited:
Bucks already had a review in 2017, not even 4 years later we having another? How many coaches get that? 😂.

continues reviews suggests somethings wrong would have thought

I know, funny as. It's looking more likely that Wrighty will re-sign him. I'll be so pissed if that happens. He's had his chance and it's time for him to move on.
We'll never win a premiership with Bucks at the helm.

And the Hawthorn supporters are saying, “That’s cool. He won us three in a row and we’ve won twelve premierships since 1970. Take your time. We are a professionally managed club and we’ll be back in it sooner than later”.

Meanwhile down at Collingwood…

“Nathan’s doing well. He deserves a contract renewal. Ten years, no flags and time for a third rebuild under the same coach. Flags aren’t everything. It’s all about the love these days. Anyway, lets head down to the bottom of the garden to the wigwam, commune with the faeries, crochet some scarves and drink camomile tea to ease the nerves".

You picked on the wrong issue. There are people here who are saying that a good coach is going to turn this around in a year. Clarkson hasnt turned around Hawthorn in 2 years and I think its more like 3 years. Sam Mitchell got the flick some years back...so did luke hodge. Clarkson played younger players and they are still not ready....

That is the point. It has nothing to do with buckley.

We could get Jesus as the coach and he might be able to do a short turnaround...but clarkson aint jesus...

This comment has nothing to do with buckley....

Difference is mate Hawthorn has easily less talent than we what we have on the list and they have shown a hell of a lot more structure and system than what we have, ladder position doesn't indicate the progress a team is making or how quickly you can move up in a season or two.
You watch Hawthorn and you can see where they are going and how they want to go about it.
You watch Collingwood and you can see what's in front of you and it doesn't look like progress it looks like the opposite.

mate mate mate mate....

hawthorn is 16th... the fast turnaround that you talked about in your enlightening post earlier hasnt happened. It hasnt been fast. mate mate mate mate.

so it doesnt matter how many mates you use, hawthorn is 16th at least 3 years after hodge and mitchell got the flick and the rebuild started at hawthorn.

So it hasnt been a fast turnaround mate..... mate..... mate..

As time goes by I am more coming to the idea of Bucks staying on. I don't think there is any chance a Clarko/Hardwick/Bevo /Longmuir can be prised from their position. All are coaching better lists than Collingwood have or are further into the rebuild. Even Mitchell and the sought after assistants would probably baulk at Collingwood currently as a few seasons of no success and then being shown the door kills a coaching career

I dont think list wise we are in any shape for a quick bounce and Bucks staying on for now, leading to some stability might be best. In 3 seasons if we are still down at least we should have the pieces in place to start to rise again and will have become a more attractive coaching option
It’s different with Collingwood, we have a history of keeping our coaches for a long time so people won’t be scared of us sacking them after 2 bad years, also they’ll take over a team at the start of a rebuild so they’ll get a honeymoon period where wins won’t be expected.

You picked on the wrong issue. There are people here who are saying that a good coach is going to turn this around in a year. Clarkson hasnt turned around Hawthorn in 2 years and I think its more like 3 years. Sam Mitchell got the flick some years back...so did luke hodge. Clarkson played younger players and they are still not ready....

That is the point. It has nothing to do with buckley.

We could get Jesus as the coach and he might be able to do a short turnaround...but clarkson aint jesus...

This comment has nothing to do with buckley....
You missed the point entirely. Since 1970, one club has been run in a ruthlessly, professional manner (learning from its mistakes along the way) and as a consequence has been a consistent winner.

The other has not.

There’s always excuses when it comes to Buckley:

• Salary cap debacle
• Injuries
• Assistant coaches are no good.
• List management team caused the decline
• We don’t have the talent.
• The supporters are being too hard on him
• The players don’t know how to execute the game plan.

It’s always the fault of someone else. Is it possible Buckley has been a major reason for our decline along with other incompetent people at the club?

We’re 1-6. This is comparable to 1982, 1999, 2004 and 2005 which were the other years where we were either 1-6 or 0-7 after 7 games. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for supporters to start banging the drums and asking the hard questions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You missed the point entirely. Since 1970, one club has been run in a ruthlessly, professional manner (learning from its mistakes along the way) and as a consequence has been a consistent winner.

The other has not.

I dont disagree that hawthorn has been significant better run. And youre right in indicating that hawthorn supporters are a lot smarter than Pie supporters. However, you questioned my post which said that clarkson hasnt been able to manage a quick turnaround for the hawks. It doesnt matter what the supporters think.

I was merely saying that the master coach hasnt been able to do a fast turnaround, so the people here thinking that it is possible are kidding themselves. The people saying that a turnaround is independent of the state of the list, are kidding themselves. We are likely to go backwards before we start going forwards, even if Jesus was coaching.

And yes, I would like pie fans to be smarter but it isnt going to happen. I've learnt that. All this is completely independent of whether buckley continues.

I agree with Kappa when he said a new coach will give the club some air to breath. However, if we get a new coach and if he isnt hugely supported, the pie fans and the media will break him down.... both will be relentless.

I dont disagree that hawthorn has been significant better run. And your right in indicating that hawthorn supporters are a lot smarter than Pie supporters. However, you questioned my post which said that clarkson hasnt been able to manage a quick turnaround for the hawks. It doesnt matter what the supporters think.

I was merely saying that the master coach hasnt been able to do a fast turnaround, so the people here thinking that it is possible are kidding themselves. The people saying that a turnaround is independent of the state of the list, are kidding themselves. We are likely to go backwards before we start going forwards, even if Jesus was coaching.

And yes, I would like pie fans to be smarter but it isnt going to happen. I've learnt that. All this is completely independent of whether buckley continues.

I agree with Kappa when he said a new coach will give the club some air to breath. However, if we get a new coach and if he isnt hugely supported, the pie fans and the media will break him down.... both will be relentless.
And I agree with you about the extended duration of a turnaround (because our current list and short term draft options are so poor).

Last edited:
Consider Michael Malthouse.....longest serving coach in history. 3 premierships. A premiership in 2010, a grand final in 2011..

Went to Carlton in 2013..... sacked after 21/2 seasons.....by a dysfunctional club.

So that shows you how much time a successful coach has to turnaround the Pies. Maybe 2 years. Clarkson might get 3 years if he is lucky. The knives will be out for a new coach after a year....

Good question, and by then we will still have Adams, Both Daicos and at least two of Rantall, McInnes, Poulter, McCrae really starting to stamp their mark on the team, add to that anyone we pick up in the drafts as well.
The key is to add ready talent in the next year or two which I suspect we will hence the clearout last year, Merrett is a chance and guys like Charlie Constable from Geelong should be really looked at.
You can add a lot of depth within a year in different areas of the team and the middle is probably the easiest place to do it, that should be our focus and really, if we can't over the next two years then that is really not good enough from our list management.

Gee, we’re already loading the weight of huge expectation and responsibility on the shoulders of the two Daicos boys, aren’t we?

I agree with you that we’ll need to progressively recruit mature midfield talent to nurture our youngsters through their development phase but here’s the thing - why on Earth would the likes Merrett, Petracca, etc want to come to Collingwood?

Those stars typically move clubs for the following reasons:
* increased chances of Premiership success;
* excessive contacts in dollars/length;
* The “go home” factor; or
* to be coached by an all-time great (eg Matthews, Sheedy, MM, Roos, Clarkson, etc)

Presently, we can offer none of those things. We are the antithesis of a “destination Club”.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Some reality about recruiting midfielders.

Hawthorn recruited Mitchell and O'Meara 5 years ago....well 4 and a half if you want to be exact.... and Hawthorn is currently 16th on the table....

4 and a half years ago ......16th on the ladder..... jesus's half brother as the coach....

They paid pick 14 for Mitchell and a bit more than pick 10 for O'Meara. Generally thought to be good deals for both at the time. You be the judge.

Whatever the judgement it takes away a significant ability to draft.

As said by a lot, buckley doesnt draw players like the Master.... so you would expect the Pies to have to pay signficant amounts to get comparable players..

This is the reality. When I dream tonight, I will be dreaming about Merrett being given to us by Essendon because we are nice people and deserve a helping hand. Melbourne will probably call me in the dream and offer me Petraca for pick 70.

By this time next year, Clarko will be in charge with the best midfield in the business and I'll be patient enough to wait for the premiership in 2023

So that shows you how much time a successful coach has to turnaround the Pies. Maybe 2 years. Clarkson might get 3 years if he is lucky. The knives will be out for a new coach after a year....
When Buckley took over as coach we were a club at the height of its powers. He proceeded to take us to a lower position on the ladder every year for the next six years.

Following this example and in the interests of fair play, a new coach taking over the club at its lowest ebb should have about twenty years to dig us out of the hole.

If it was good enough for Nathan…

mate mate mate mate....

hawthorn is 16th... the fast turnaround that you talked about in your enlightening post earlier hasnt happened. It hasnt been fast. mate mate mate mate.

so it doesnt matter how many mates you use, hawthorn is 16th at least 3 years after hodge and mitchell got the flick and the rebuild started at hawthorn.

So it hasnt been a fast turnaround mate..... mate..... mate..
No need to be a jerk about it or is that your distinctive schtick I'm not aware of?
That is my opinion and if you had addressed all my points fair enough but you did not.
hawthorn player for player are a terrible list but they sacrificed a ton of past picks to win flags and achieved it, what's our excuse?
What Clarkson is doing with that list is infinitely better than what Buckley is doing with ours.
You are using one club as an example of a side that has lagged for a couple of years but ignoring all the other examples of a quick turnaround (Sydney, Port, Melbourne, even the Doggies.) It can be done but Hawthorn were prepared to bottom out after 3 flags, 3 more than us I might add in recent years.

When Buckley took over as coach we were a club at the height of its powers. He proceeded to take us to a lower position on the ladder every year for the next six years.

Following this example and in the interests of fair play, a new coach taking over the club at its lowest ebb should have about twenty years to dig us out of the hole.

If it was good enough for Nathan…

thats a good dream... i hope you enjoy it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back