Coach Who Should Our Next Coach Be (Poll Updated)

Who Should Our Next Coach Be?

• Alistar Clarkson

Votes: 160 34.2%
  • Adam Kingsley

Votes: 18 3.8%
  • Robert Harvey

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Adem Yze

Votes: 37 7.9%
  • Blake Caracella

Votes: 31 6.6%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 54 11.5%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 3.0%
  • Justin Leppitsch

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Craig McRae

Votes: 110 23.5%
  • Dale Tapping

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Jaymie Graham

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I still don't get the doom and gloom posters that think we are destined for bottom 4 for years and need a total list re-build.
Footy these day and you can spin it around in as little as a year or two, It could be a game plan re-set (Sydney) An attitude and application improvement (Doggies) Or a new coach/Assistants.
It becomes less about the list and more about other factors, the game has never been as tactical or strategy based as it is now and this year has proved the divide between teams on any given day is not all that great.
What I see is the same old fundamentals and principles that Bucks trots out like contest is king, what a load of Garbage, Geelong and WC are not contested based teams but have brilliant systems in place to maintain the footy and control games, this is why they appear to be two of the cleanest kicking teams going around while Collingwood why have nothing but Contest, grunt and scrap as the real fundamental of our play appear to be a poor disposal and movement team because the lack of time with CLEAN footy and space means there is a clear disconnect with players up the ground, hence our lack of understanding with eachother.
No for mine a cleanout in the coaching ranks will have us on the right track and quite quickly to be honest.
Ability to bounce back quickly is all about the list. And ours is s**t, with little room to move salary cap wise, a non existent young talent pool, except for first year players, and minimal leverage drafting wise, with picks already traded away this year. You need to take the rose coloured glasses off. Everyone in the media, plus other coaches / clubs know we are in the s**t

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sweeney's Shaving Team...
No need to be a jerk about it or is that your distinctive schtick I'm not aware of?
That is my opinion and if you had addressed all my points fair enough but you did not.
hawthorn player for player are a terrible list but they sacrificed a ton of past picks to win flags and achieved it, what's our excuse?
What Clarkson is doing with that list is infinitely better than what Buckley is doing with ours.
You are using one club as an example of a side that has lagged for a couple of years but ignoring all the other examples of a quick turnaround (Sydney, Port, Melbourne, even the Doggies.) It can be done but Hawthorn were prepared to bottom out after 3 flags, 3 more than us I might add in recent years.

i must admit...using melbourne as an example is......well ...interesting... 1964 and they haven't won one yet. Ok, I'm a hard marker. They did make a grannie in Neil Daniher's years.

Western Bulldogs is a turnaround? They won a premiership and celebrated a lot. The guys who won it are mostly still there. However, they have added a few players through some excellent drafting. I dont think Bevo does all the drafting like buckley does at the Pies. They have also done a few smart trades but Bevo doesnt do the trades like Bucks does for us. Excuse me for being glib on this but you cannot be comparing the bulldogs from their premiership year to us now? Sydney was 14th and 16th in the last two years and they were very average for the few years before that.

i might have misunderstood you. I was talking about turnaround to being competitive for a premiership. Not turnaround to being average.... 8th on the ladder...something similar. Sydney was last competing for a premiership in 2016. Thats 4 and a half years ago.... and they are just getting back to average now. They might get back to contending next year or the year after.

And finally, this comparison with Clarkson. Where was his team in 2018 when we were a minute from the flag? Of course, he is doing better than buckley now because the bottom fell out for buckley in the last 6 months. The bottom fell out for Clarkson 4 years ago...

And once again, my original point was the fast turnaround that you were talking about. By the time Clarkson gets hawthorn ready for another tilt it will 6 years since he started the process. 6 years, at least.

Lets finish it here. I know there are tons of pie supporters out there who are dreaming of winning a premiership next year after changing the coach this week. Put it in a video game and watch it. Put those google goggles on and convince yourself it's reality.

And a word about the poll. 30% of people say they want clarkson. He's been rebooting hawthorn for the last 4 years and people expect him to jump ship and come to the pies because we are the "greatest club in the world". Delusional.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ability to bounce back quickly is all about the list. And ours is sh*t, with little room to move salary cap wise, a non existent young talent pool, except for first year players, and minimal leverage drafting wise, with picks already traded away this year. You need to take the rose coloured glasses off. Everyone in the media, plus other coaches / clubs know we are in the sh*t

nicely put. rose coloured glasses... although I think they might be total black... opaque...blindfold...

or maybe its rose coloured with LSD... flying elephants and collingwood premierships.

Jun 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Why not. Leppa and Yze would take 400 - 500k each. And that combined would be Nathan’s salary on his own
Because it doesn’t work that way. If you’re an A grade coach why would you take half the salary for 3/4’s of the headache? Take a full time gig and get the full time pay. You then don’t have to argue on daily base with your equal on how the team should run. Imagine the match day issues!

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern
Hold interviews and have a rigorous selection process, thatd be a first.

Main ones I want interviewed are Mitchell, Yze, Pyke, Kingsley, Leppitsch. You can definitely enquire re guys like Clarko and Bevo as unlikely as they would be still ask the Q.

Hold interviews? Does this mean Nathan has to effectively re-apply?
Because he made it clear he ain’t begging to stay.

Yet, he wants to stay.

Batman movies had a famous quote...
You can die the hero or you can live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Nathan is closer to the latter than he is the former

Matt_352

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hold interviews? Does this mean Nathan has to effectively re-apply?
Because he made it clear he ain’t begging to stay.

Yet, he wants to stay.

Batman movies had a famous quote...
You can die the hero or you can live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Nathan is closer to the latter than he is the former
Nathan can piss off

Axl the great

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
i must admit...using melbourne as an example is......well ...interesting... 1964 and they haven't won one yet. Ok, I'm a hard marker. They did make a grannie in Neil Daniher's years.

Western Bulldogs is a turnaround? They won a premiership and celebrated a lot. The guys who won it are mostly still there. However, they have added a few players through some excellent drafting. I dont think Bevo does all the drafting like buckley does at the Pies. They have also done a few smart trades but Bevo doesnt do the trades like Bucks does for us. Excuse me for being glib on this but you cannot be comparing the bulldogs from their premiership year to us now? Sydney was 14th and 16th in the last two years and they were very average for the few years before that.

i might have misunderstood you. I was talking about turnaround to being competitive for a premiership. Not turnaround to being average.... 8th on the ladder...something similar. Sydney was last competing for a premiership in 2016. Thats 4 and a half years ago.... and they are just getting back to average now. They might get back to contending next year or the year after.

And finally, this comparison with Clarkson. Where was his team in 2018 when we were a minute from the flag? Of course, he is doing better than buckley now because the bottom fell out for buckley in the last 6 months. The bottom fell out for Clarkson 4 years ago...

And once again, my original point was the fast turnaround that you were talking about. By the time Clarkson gets hawthorn ready for another tilt it will 6 years since he started the process. 6 years, at least.

Lets finish it here. I know there are tons of pie supporters out there who are dreaming of winning a premiership next year after changing the coach this week. Put it in a video game and watch it. Put those google goggles on and convince yourself it's reality.

And a word about the poll. 30% of people say they want clarkson. He's been rebooting hawthorn for the last 4 years and people expect him to jump ship and come to the pies because we are the "greatest club in the world". Delusional.

Melbourne have turned it around stunningly from the last 2 years, going back to the war era is hardly endorsing your point, we are talking about modern footy with player movement, mid season drafts and the like has made it easier to re-generate a lot quicker.
To suggest the only improvement that counts is being ready for a premiership in 2 years is short sighted, a decent leap on the ladder and all of a sudden players want to come, confidence develops among existing players and anything can happen.
On the Bulldogs you are incorrect, only 9 of them are still there and they were heading down the same path as us, most of it attitude and application based so from where they were heading as a club they have turned it right around.
My point is it can be done quickly provided you are honest as a club about what the issues are and get it right in fixing them, Sydney identified their style wasn't going to cut it in the current game, full change from last year and on the right track.
As for Hawthorn I still maintain that list he has is barely VFL standard and for Clarko to still be getting wins and competitive performance out of them speaks volumes of the coach he is.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Ability to bounce back quickly is all about the list.

Umm no. just no. It is not ALL about the list, if that were true the best list would be winning the flag every year - the current premier would have zero flags after 1980 and the giants would have 5.

It's a combination of many many factors, list is one, it doesn't have to be THE best list. Certainly you can't have a completely s**t one but it's not the be all and end all.

Apart from maybe US in 2010 & 2011 - even then that would be up for debate, ever since then the best list in the comp has not won the cup, don't even begin to come up with the tigs or hawks. The giants and even wc have had better lists during that time.

With our current list, admittedly not a contender, it is certainly not a bottom 4 list, so why are we? Well let's look at the other factors...................

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Umm no. just no. It is not ALL about the list, if that were true the best list would be winning the flag every year - the current premier would have zero flags after 1980 and the giants would have 5.

It's a combination of many many factors, list is one, it doesn't have to be THE best list. Certainly you can't have a completely sh*t one but it's not the be all and end all.

Apart from maybe US in 2010 & 2011 - even then that would be up for debate, ever since then the best list in the comp has not won the cup, don't even begin to come up with the tigs or hawks. The giants and even wc have had better lists during that time.

With our current list, admittedly not a contender, it is certainly not a bottom 4 list, so why are we? Well let's look at the other factors...................
It is a bottom 4 list mate. Look more closely. You think a team that has C Brown, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne and Josh Thomas running thru the midfield is anything but? Plus the fact that we have not one KPF in the top 20 in the league... plus having two Irish kids as our back line hope... plus no genuine gun small forwards... plus Pendles, Sidey and Howe all on the decline and close to retirement. Yeah mate, we are flying...

we’ve got a list over-stocked with VFL and SANFL players, and that’s exactly how we play. Bottom four lists in the league are clear to me:

North
Fremantle
Adelaide
Collingwood (with a bullet)

Last edited:

stormskye

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It is a bottom 4 list mate. Look more closely. You think a team that has C Brown, Jack Madgen, Chris Mayne and Josh Thomas running thru the midfield is anything but? Plus the fact that we have not one KPF in the top 20 in the league... plus having two Irish kids as our back line hope... plus no genuine gun small forwards... plus Pendles, Sidey and Howe all on the decline and close to retirement. Yeah mate, we are flying...

bottom four lists in the league are clear to me:

North
Fremantle
Adelaide
Collingwood (with a bullet)
Can’t argue. We have so many holes, and our current best players Adams, Howe, Elliot are always injured.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne have turned it around stunningly from the last 2 years, going back to the war era is hardly endorsing your point, we are talking about modern footy with player movement, mid season drafts and the like has made it easier to re-generate a lot quicker.
To suggest the only improvement that counts is being ready for a premiership in 2 years is short sighted, a decent leap on the ladder and all of a sudden players want to come, confidence develops among existing players and anything can happen.
On the Bulldogs you are incorrect, only 9 of them are still there and they were heading down the same path as us, most of it attitude and application based so from where they were heading as a club they have turned it right around.
My point is it can be done quickly provided you are honest as a club about what the issues are and get it right in fixing them, Sydney identified their style wasn't going to cut it in the current game, full change from last year and on the right track.
As for Hawthorn I still maintain that list he has is barely VFL standard and for Clarko to still be getting wins and competitive performance out of them speaks volumes of the coach he is.

well we will have to wait and see... maybe we'll get another coach and he will do some magic tricks.

Feb 27, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Because it doesn’t work that way. If you’re an A grade coach why would you take half the salary for 3/4’s of the headache? Take a full time gig and get the full time pay. You then don’t have to argue on daily base with your equal on how the team should run. Imagine the match day issues!
They’re A game are assistants, with no other head coaching jobs going. Plus Leppa has already said he’d prefer not to hold the reins entirely. Think this will happen one day. Lead role seems too draining for one person. Chemistry would obv be key, along with key separation of duties that suit each persons style and skill set

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
At this point I'll take Ross
He has the ability to galvanise a side really quickly, get's them to buy in and would already have an attacking new game style in his mind, you only have to listen to his comments on the radio to see that he values attacking footy today so he wouldn't be all defensive like his earlier days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back