Who would you like to see more often in 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Kelly is the player I most want to see next year.
He needs a huge preseason for that to happen, but one can hope l guess

I suspect the 2023 season will be a long and somewhat fruitless one for you if Kelly is the man you are most hoping to see in action. Unless you are female or there is an LGBTGI+ element to your wish - Will Kelly has that Greek Adonis look to him which has always given me hope that one day his playing smarts will somehow catch up to his physical features, and turn him into a star of the competition. But alas, all too often attractive men don't perform as well as their cherubic looks would lead us to believe they might. He needs a transfusion of his father's niggly, pinchy pinchy competitiveness and aggression if he is to become a future fixture of our defence.

I think Reef developing into the player we hope he can be. Nick D being the star we expect. Ginny being our 1st forward to crack 40 goals in a H&A season since Trav. Allen to become best 22 in 23.

I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong, but to my eye WK has been one of the least likely looking players I've seen at the club.
Sure, there have been some that have come in lacking skills and never stood a chance - these players looked like suburban footballers.
But to me, I just can't see a footballer in WK at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's quite a few I'd like to see more of, for different reasons.
Nathan Krueger - If we see lots of him, he's staying on the paddock (not injured) and he makes us better
Fin McRae - Did a lot of work in the 'twos' this year and looks to be developing nicely - will add value
Reef McInnes - Has a lot of 'upside' and should complement our mids well
Dan McStay - Will be important in supporting our Ruck stocks and should provide our forwards a better space to work into
Many more (Mitchell, Hill, Frampton, et al)...

My personal order of those with limited time or new to the club.

Fin Macrae
Tommy M
Danny
Charmichael
Joe Richards.
Hill
Reef
Krueger
Dean

Great to see so many players fighting for possies or can pitch hit.

Josh Carmichael.
Think he ticks most of the boxes to become a mainstay of our midfield: good size, solid kick, brawny physique.
If Tay has his usual injury problems, we'll need to call on a strong-bodied mid replacement.
The knock on him last year was around his lack of fitness but his appointing a running coach over the off-season appears to have paid dividends, with a 3rd place in the 2K time trial. Was apparently recruited because of his 'big tank' in the first place, according to Dekka's recruitment notes, but was not up to AFL speed after playing in the amateur country leagues.
Not sure how good he is distributing by hand (someone said he looked a bit 'fumbly' in training) but that's easily coachable.
Reckon he could be first 22 this year and hoping he really steps up to the plate in '23.

Dean: think he'll be able to hold down a key back spot in our side for years to come. Not sure he'll be a lock in our 22/23 this season, but I want to see a few games from him.

Also excited about the potential of Kreuger and Hill, both of whom have had serious disruption over the last 12 months (yes, I know Hill wasn't here)

I'm most excited about what a fit Krueger can bring to the side.
Reef, Draper, Dean, special mention Will Kelly make or break year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back