Who would you pick - Ballantyne or Banfield

Who would you pick for round 1 - Ballantyne or Banfield?

• Banfield

Votes: 113 94.2%
  • Ballantyne

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Where does Nhyius fit in? Surely he could get a mention on here as well. Averaging 1.25 goals a game is there
any possibility he could play forward?
Guy could be another swingman, but doesn't get any love on here.

Averaging 1.25 goals a game is there
any possibility he could play forward?
Slightly misleading - he kicked 4 on debut. I think Banfield will be better as a half forward that can pressure and kick goals. But Nyhuis is a strong mark so could still be in the mix as a forward.

Slightly misleading - he kicked 4 on debut. I think Banfield will be better as a half forward that can pressure and kick goals. But Nyhuis is a strong mark so could still be in the mix as a forward.
Looking at the Tigers Grand Final forward line heights makes for an interesting comparison, if we decide
to play three players over 190cm.
Instead of just Balla vs Banfield, we could have better forward structure with the medium/smalls available.

Food for thought at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks to me more like he wanted it back then, whereas now, not so much. Hard to tell.
Are you doubting his commitment? He missed half of last year and we have 50% new faces since his famous comments below. It’s basically a fresh start. Now it’s over to him to produce Eddy Betts type results!

9C4E9ECB-755D-40BC-B330-701EC20F08E1.jpeg

Are you doubting his commitment? He missed half of last year and we have 50% new faces since his famous comments below. It’s basically a fresh start. Now it’s over to him to produce Eddy Betts type results!

View attachment 467344
Yes, based on watching him play (including in the pre-season), I have doubts about his commitment. That could be as a result of injuries, or the career stage that he is at, or some other factor.

I don't expect him to be contracted beyond this year, and like MJ I think he is in the the club as a mentor to assist the development of younger players, provide structural integrity, and things like that. But the thing I really want him to mentor players for is not kicking skills as he is reported to be doing for Cox. It is for his pressure skills and manic attack on ball and man.

Hope he can rekindle that for this season.

If only ballaz still produced moments like these...

AFL, umpires delt harshly with Balla, Crowley. Unfairly too considering the adulation given to Michell, Hodge.
That 2015 final was a joke when the umps stated to watch Ballantyne.
One of the reasons he probably had to change his game, frees going the other way or not played at all.

Ballas is on the outer, no doubt. But he is a smart footballer (when concentrating on footy!). He still had a decent year.

A better comparison is Ballas v Matera. Banfield is not a genuine goal kicker. He is not a forward pocket. He is a pressure machine though.
As a defensive forward he needs to average a goal a game. So IMO, he is not fighting for this position.

Ballas is a really smart footballer, but he has been forced into a role that he was not capable of in 2018 AFL. Matera was not up to it either. Walters is another story but he had to go midfield which he did well at, but you want him just forward, also not as a key forward. He also got injured, but he is the number one for this "midfield rotation forward pocket role" they all seem to do now.

Banfield is good tackler, and can find the football. His disposal is above Matera and Ballas, although he spends more time in the midfield, which always enhance DE stats, but it is not at AFL top 8 standard. I love Banfield, but he can float the ball at times.

2019. Ballas will be depth and cover, and if he can keep his feet, uninjured he might just find 2019 to be his year with some key forwards around. I assume he will find a lot of space and average 2 goals a game, if we are in the hunt for the 8. If we are not, he we play for Peel. Matera will start with Peel and will need to play some solid games. Banfield will be either midfield or Peel. It will depend on injuries. He will not be a starting forward pocket.

Banfield is good tackler, and can find the football. His disposal is above Matera and Ballas.
Agree with the thrust of your post Frigate, but Banfield's kicking is not in the same ostcode as Ballas'. Ballas is one of our best kicks, long and penetrating off both feet and rarely misses a target.

Banfield is very left sided and an average to good kick at best. His strength is that he knows his limitations and plays within them.

Agree with the thrust of your post Frigate, but Banfield's kicking is not in the same ostcode as Ballas'. Ballas is one of our best kicks, long and penetrating off both feet and rarely misses a target.

Banfield is very left sided and an average to good kick at best. His strength is that he knows his limitations and plays within them.

Not sure if serious

Back