Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You just did compare & Pigs ar$3.
I'll see Richmond's 2 Brownlow medallists in the middle and raise you another Brownlow Medalist, a "stopper" & Clarke Keating. Cotchin would poo his nappy, Dusty would lack supply & get 20 touches mainly under huge pressure & Reiwoldt would spit the dummy with Leppa/Michael/White or even Bradshaw on him. Rance & who could stop Lynch/Bradshaw/Brown/McCrae/Power/Lappin/McGrath/Notting? The Lions would beat them up easily.
Good on Richmond for winning a Flag again but get real, they beat a rabble. The Crows were definitely hotter & colder than the Tigers could ever get in 2017. You got lucky & have had you day in the sun. Teams have worked you out now. You'll be out first week in 2019 & back to the mediocrity we're all used to. $1.50 for Richmond to make the Top 4 in 2019? Massive unders. The Swans of 2003 would be about level with Richmond 2017 imo.
Damn who knew the salt would continue to flow over a year after winning the flag. We should try that more.

Damn who knew the salt would continue to flow over a year after winning the flag. We should try that more.
It's not salt, it's reality. It will feel like salt in your wounds as you slide.
I was genuinely happy for the long suffering Tiger faithful to be rewarded with a Flag but let's not get ahead of ourselves here Harry.
Getting flogged in the middle most weeks & relying on small forwards to cause turnovers is neither sustainable nor the mark of a great side. With players streaming out from a kick-in, I think teams will be clearing the Tigers "trap it in weapon" pretty easily in 2019. I'll be laying the Tigers to even win a Final in 2019. That's my considered opinion.

edit* Deleted Aldi Flag reference, sorry.

Last edited:

I love how Richmond 2017 has 21 votes LOL

Anyway its Hawks for me. They were honestly just unbelievable. Brisbane beat a super ordinary Pies side twice who honestly were insanely lucky to be there. While there were stars everywhere for both sides i feel Hawks just had something that was so intimidating about them.

Ha ha, Richmond aren’t even the stronger premier over the last 2 seasons, let alone in Afl history
West Coast were lucky we didn’t make it. We would’ve destroyed you on the G. You’ll go down with the Bulldogs as the worst premiers of all time.

Cracking Grand Final though I’ll give you that.

West Coast were lucky we didn’t make it. We would’ve destroyed you on the G. You’ll go down with the Bulldogs as the worst premiers of all time.

Cracking Grand Final though I’ll give you that.
Richmond rode a bottom 6 draw all the way to 3rd on the ladder and lucked out with 3 home finals. Adelaide flogged you at home this year and last. West Coast flogged Richmond this year and beat Collingwood twice at the mcg, finishing 2nd with a top 6 draw. West Coast has done what Richmond have shown they’re unable to.

There are plenty of minor premiers of years gone by that I’d rate higher than both of us.

You’re delusional if you honestly believe Richmond are a stronger side than 90% of the teams on that list

It's not salt, it's reality. It will feel like salt in your wounds as you slide.
I was genuinely happy for the long suffering Tiger faithful to be rewarded with a Flag but let's not get ahead of ourselves here Harry, it was an "Aldi Flag" you won in 2017, same as Footscray's "Aldi Flag" in 2016.
Getting flogged in the middle most weeks & relying on small forwards to cause turnovers is neither sustainable nor the mark of a great side. With players streaming out from a kick-in, I think teams will be clearing the Tigers "trap it in weapon" pretty easily in 2019. I'll be laying the Tigers to even win a Final in 2019. That's my considered opinion.
I’m sorry, as soon as you label a premiership - any premiership - an ‘Aldi Flag’, your opinion holds no weight. Every year 18 clubs compete to hold up that cup and you’re suggesting it comes easily? Give me a spell.

For a long time now, my benchmark for a DOMINANT side is how many times during the year a team can outscore their opponent by 6 goals in a quarter (not including junk time 4th qtr comebacks). That's putting the sword through your opponents heart in 30 minutes of football. That's true domination.
I have just looked it up. In 2017 the Tigers did it TWICE ONLY; Freo in R22 & Geelong in the Qual Final. In the same year The (Hot & Cold) Crows did it to Richmond R6 & The Saints did it to them also.
Would be interested in which teams were best at killing an opponent in a quarter. I suspect the Lions, Bombers 2000 & Geelong would be the top 3. Happy to stand corrected.

PS: "Keeping's off" is not domination Hawks fans; it's nifty coaching; same as flooding Swans fans.

I’m sorry, as soon as you label a premiership - any premiership - an ‘Aldi Flag’, your opinion holds no weight. Every year 18 clubs compete to hold up that cup and you’re suggesting it comes easily? Give me a spell.
Yeah, many sides have won a Flag yet not been DOMINANT in the comp. Sure I'll give you a spell; you need one.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond rode a bottom 6 draw all the way to 3rd on the ladder and lucked out with 3 home finals. Adelaide flogged you at home this year and last. West Coast flogged Richmond this year and beat Collingwood twice at the mcg, finishing 2nd with a top 6 draw. West Coast has done what Richmond have shown they’re unable to.

There are plenty of minor premiers of years gone by that I’d rate higher than both of us.

You’re delusional if you honestly believe Richmond are a stronger side than 90% of the teams on that list
We finished on top this season with a premiers draw so there goes that argument. We also beat Collingwood twice. Only reason we lost the prelim was because we had gastro (was told by an ex player - the club just aren’t using it as an excuse) and Dusty was f***ed. We also had players having minor surgery on the bye week. Not sure why it’s so hard to admit we’re a superior side to you. Superior defence, midfield and forward line plus better tactics. We also play the G far better as evident in our results. You’re genuinely lucky you didn’t have to face us otherwise you wouldn’t have that trophy.

Anyway, I’m happy the Eagles lucked a flag. Your players are pretty likeable and I don’t have to put up with any Eagles fans in Victoria. Will be good giving you guys a reality check next year though.

Brisbane beat a super ordinary Pies side twice who honestly were insanely lucky to be there. While there were stars everywhere for both sides .............
Your very good at contradicting yourself.

We also beat Collingwood twice. Only reason we lost the prelim was because we had gastro (was told by an ex player - the club just aren’t using it as an excuse) and Dusty was f***ed. We also had players having minor surgery on the bye week.
wE hAvE iNjUrIeS

Gosh I love how this has come full circle to Richmond :p

We finished on top this season with a premiers draw so there goes that argument. We also beat Collingwood twice. Only reason we lost the prelim was because we had gastro (was told by an ex player - the club just aren’t using it as an excuse) and Dusty was f***ed. We also had players having minor surgery on the bye week. Not sure why it’s so hard to admit we’re a superior side to you. Superior defence, midfield and forward line plus better tactics. We also play the G far better as evident in our results. You’re genuinely lucky you didn’t have to face us otherwise you wouldn’t have that trophy.

Anyway, I’m happy the Eagles lucked a flag. Your players are pretty likeable and I don’t have to put up with any Eagles fans in Victoria. Will be good giving you guys a reality check next year though.
You got lucky last year and are full of excuses this year. Gastro? Lol. We had Kennedy for half a season and lost 3 of our best players for a whole finals series. Richmond would fall in a heap with a few injuries, you’re using niggles as an excuse.

You got lucky last year and are full of excuses this year. Gastro? Lol. We had Kennedy for half a season and lost 3 of our best players for a whole finals series. Richmond would fall in a heap with a few injuries, you’re using niggles as an excuse.
We won the GF by 48 points. We had the fifth highest finals percentage OF ALL TIME. We slapped everyone on our way to the flag. How is winning every game by an average of 40 points luck?

Kennedy is average these days. He’s not elite anymore. Over the hill. Martin is the best player in the comp. You wouldn’t have a single player in the top twenty players. We have four. Also who were you missing in the GF? Overrated Nic Nat, Gaff who is a seagull and Shepherd is just your run of the mill defender.

wE hAvE iNjUrIeS

Gosh I love how this has come full circle to Richmond :p
Dusty is so much better than any player on your list. People took the piss out of Collingwood because you were whinging that you were missing guys like James Aish, Lynden Dunn and Daniel Wells lmao.

We won the GF by 48 points. We had the fifth highest finals percentage OF ALL TIME. We slapped everyone on our way to the flag. How is winning every game by an average of 40 points luck?

Kennedy is average these days. He’s not elite anymore. Over the hill. Martin is the best player in the comp. You wouldn’t have a single player in the top twenty players. We have four. Also who were you missing in the GF? Overrated Nic Nat, Gaff who is a seagull and Shepherd is just your run of the mill defender.
Did dusty have a sore tummy when West Coast pumped you by 8 goals this year?

Pretty sure it is all VFL/AFL history.

I'm rapt that you think Geelong won all those flags during that period but I reckon you might be referring to Hawthorn and they won 7 flags from 1976 and 1991.

He must be talking about our real great era. The 6in7. Completely unparalleled and only rivaled by Melbournes 4in5.

Back