Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 26 4.1%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 17 2.7%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 83 13.1%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 206 32.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

• West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 101 15.9%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Sydney 2012

• Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 103 16.2%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 14 2.2%
  • Richmond 2017

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 11 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah. But I’m not pretending that West Coast’s 2018 was the strongest team in Afl history. Because that’s just stupid
You’re pretending you’re stronger than us, which is also stupid.

How is Richmond’s window bricked in?
I think your game style of "trap it in F50" is unsustainable & has been worked out by opposition Coaches. The "Instant kick in play-on" works against your strength in 2017. Your too reliant on the Cotchin/Martin connection, Clubs will have devised ways to pull it apart. This is why I believe the Tigers are very poor value @ $1.50 to finish top 4. Window bricked in imo.
Time will tell. I may be wrong, it's just my opinion.

Why are Richmond premiership favourites again?
Because Bookies are very smart & know they'll have no trouble laying Richmond at (imo) ridiculously short odds.

You’re pretending you’re stronger than us, which is also stupid.
No it’s not. We finished higher on the ladder in our premiership season with a tougher draw and won away from home. We won two finals against the side which bundled you out of the finals race this year and flogged you in our only meeting during the h&a. If our premiership season is better than yours there’s no way in hell that Richmond 2017 can come anywhere near most of the teams on that list.

No it’s not. We finished higher on the ladder in our premiership season with a tougher draw and won away from home. We won two finals against the side which bundled you out of the finals race this year. If our premiership season is better than yours there’s no way in hell that Richmond 2017 can come anywhere near most of the teams on that list.
Weak and unconvincing argument.

The 6 goal domination marker (not an exact science) will almost only be achieved for 1 quarter when it happens.
2003 Lions: R6 v Geelong, R9 v Carlton (2 quarters of domination), R10 v Melbourne, R19 v Collingwood, R21 v Geelong, Prelim v Swans. Then 50pt winners over Pies in the GF. That's 6 domination games & an easy Flag. Never that year did a team outscore the Lions by 6 goals in a quarter.
If any other team has a better record (by my definition of domination) I would happily concede they were the most dominant Premiership Team. My gut tells me 2000 Bombers &/or Geelong may have had more success at DOMINATING teams in a single year. Until someone presents facts to the contrary, I'll go with the Lions of 2003 being the most dominant team to win a Premiership.

No it’s not. We finished higher on the ladder in our premiership season with a tougher draw and won away from home. We won two finals against the side which bundled you out of the finals race this year and flogged you in our only meeting during the h&a. If our premiership season is better than yours there’s no way in hell that Richmond 2017 can come anywhere near most of the teams on that list.
You have an extremely strong case. It's even more special to beat Collingwood in a GF hey Congratulations on thrilling victory, hope to see you guys in the Finals next year.

You can’t compare teams from different eras,pointless.

Dusty would have smashed those teams.
Feel like you're maybe slightly overrating 2017 Richmond. They weren't even the best team that year, Adelaide was. You guys were just fortunate enough that the minor premier isn't entitled to a home grand final, because otherwise they'd probably have won it

Hawthorn had the benefit of compromised drafts and both Brisbane and Hawthorn were afforded high draft picks and concessions due to bottoming out.

Geelong drafted almost all of it's 3 premierships and didn't need to bottom out.

Most wins over 50, 100, 150 and 200 games. That's a record. A winning percentage that is unrivalled. We're also the only team in history to win 18 or more games in 5 successive years. I could go on and on.

If you truly believe Hawthorn's 3 peat was better than Geelong's 5 years of dominance then good for you.

Geelong had the benefit of a few Father Sons too. If you want to talk about compromised drafts...

And yes, plent of teams have won a few flags over a few years but how many have won 3 in a row?

If Geelong were so good why couldn't they even win 2 in a row?

Heaps of teams have managed 2 in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dusty is so much better than any player on your list. People took the piss out of Collingwood because you were whinging that you were missing guys like James Aish, Lynden Dunn and Daniel Wells lmao.
wE hAd GaStRo

Injuries are NOT an excuse, as many Richmond supporters had pointed out to me this year.

I think your game style of "trap it in F50" is unsustainable & has been worked out by opposition Coaches. The "Instant kick in play-on" works against your strength in 2017. Your too reliant on the Cotchin/Martin connection, Clubs will have devised ways to pull it apart. This is why I believe the Tigers are very poor value @ $1.50 to finish top 4. Window bricked in imo.
Time will tell. I may be wrong, it's just my opinion.

Because Bookies are very smart & know they'll have no trouble laying Richmond at (imo) ridiculously short odds.

The days of being reliant on Cotchin/Martin are well and truely over, that's old thinking. The trap in F50 was that unsustainable we finished on top of the ladder the season after winning a premiership. We didn't lose to Collingwood because of that. Collingwood got to the grand final copying our game, this is well known. Some adjustments in 2019's game plan as all clubs do, our list, you know we will be top 4 at the least.

How about just tell us how Richmond 2017 ranks above WC this year for a start.
Richmond were stronger in finals. As I said, they had the fifth highest percentage in finals of all time. They only conceded a total of 167 points across three games while scoring 302 points themselves. That’s a lot more comprehensive that West Coast’s performances. You also needed a dubious non-call to get you over the line the Grand Final.

Richmond also beat better sides. Adelaide (GF) and GWS (PF) are a lot stronger than Collingwood (GF) and Melbourne (PF). Pies (QF) probably pip Geelong (QF) though, so have that. Richmond then went on to become to strongest MCG tenant of all time. They’re quite literally the best ever side to play the MCG, but you think we wouldn’t beat the majority of this list? Richmond’s home and away record in 2018 also proves they were a stronger outfit than West Coast because they finished above them with a premiers draw. One loss at the end of the season does not define us.

On paper, we have a stronger defence and midfield. You have a stronger forward line (but that now changes with the addition of Lynch). Furthermore, we are better coached. As Terry Wallace once said: “Richmond are the best drilled side I have ever seen”.

You should be flattered I’m even having this discussion with you.

Hawthorn had the benefit of compromised drafts and both Brisbane and Hawthorn were afforded high draft picks and concessions due to bottoming out.

Geelong drafted almost all of it's 3 premierships and didn't need to bottom out.

Most wins over 50, 100, 150 and 200 games. That's a record. A winning percentage that is unrivalled. We're also the only team in history to win 18 or more games in 5 successive years. I could go on and on.

If you truly believe Hawthorn's 3 peat was better than Geelong's 5 years of dominance then good for you.
Yeah concessions, you haven't mentioned getting Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins for nothing though have you.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

3 or 4 teams come to mind - but i voted for Carlton 1995

Very big powerfull team - had a sensational year

Pearce was nearly unplayable - with his pace - they had the luxury of having someone like Mil Hanna ( who was a very good player ) playing on a wing

Maddern was dominant in the ruck- Kernahan and Spalding the big 2 key forwards

Their backline - especially the combination of Silvagni and Peter Dean - well they were 20 years ahead of their time - they use to double up on the key forward like teams do today - and make life hell for the key forward . Dean was so underrated - well he wasnt actually - id nearly put him in Carltons team of of the century - he use to play that back pocket role beautifully - and was rarely beaten

On the ball - Williams a very good player - but Craig Bradley in my opinion was one of the all time greats ( honestly he use to feast on Geelong )

Around that time ( might have been the year before or the year after ) Carlton annihilated West Coast ( who were in their heyday ) out at Princess Park - and Bradley kicked a 50 metre banana goal on the run near the boundary line - one of the best goals of all time

Richmond were stronger in finals. As I said, they had the fifth highest percentage in finals of all time. They only conceded a total of 167 points across three games while scoring 302 points themselves. That’s a lot more comprehensive that West Coast’s performances. You also needed a dubious non-call to get you over the line the Grand Final.

Richmond also beat better sides. Adelaide (GF) and GWS (PF) are a lot stronger than Collingwood (GF) and Melbourne (PF). Pies (QF) probably pip Geelong (QF) though, so have that. Richmond then went on to become to strongest MCG tenant of all time. They’re quite literally the best ever side to play the MCG, but you think we wouldn’t beat the majority of this list? Richmond’s home and away record in 2018 also proves they were a stronger outfit than West Coast because they finished above them with a premiers draw. One loss at the end of the season does not define us.

On paper, we have a stronger defence and midfield. You have a stronger forward line (but that now changes with the addition of Lynch). Furthermore, we are better coached. As Terry Wallace once said: “Richmond are the best drilled side I have ever seen”.

You should be flattered I’m even having this discussion with you.

I'm embarrassed for you.

You
The days of being reliant on Cotchin/Martin are well and truely over, that's old thinking. The trap in F50 was that unsustainable we finished on top of the ladder the season after winning a premiership. We didn't lose to Collingwood because of that. Collingwood got to the grand final copying our game, this is well known. Some adjustments in 2019's game plan as all clubs do, our list, you know we will be top 4 at the least.
You may well turn out to be correct & I may be totally wrong. If I'm wrong, it's going to cost me a holiday so I won't wish you luck ;)

Yeah concessions, you haven't mentioned getting Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins for nothing though have you.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
The same concessions every single club is afforded.

So you're saying that the past players of the club you support are as sterile as the minds of those who recruited them?

Cherry picking from the Fitzroy list and getting an AFL “retention allowance” when it cost $150k to buy a house in Brisbane?

It was a "retention allowance" not a "Cost Of Living Allowance". Less than 20% of Brisbane's list at that time came from Queensland.

Back