Who would you rate as the strongest premiership side in the AFL era?

Which premiership team would you rate as the strongest of the AFL era?

• Collingwood 1990

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawthorn 1991

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • West Coast 92-94

Votes: 20 4.2%
  • Essendon 1993

• Carlton 1995

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • North 96-99

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • Adelaide 97-98

• Essendon 2000

Votes: 38 7.9%
  • Brisbane 2001-2003

Votes: 160 33.4%
  • Port 2004

• Sydney 2005

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • West Coast 2006

• Geelong 2007-2011

Votes: 90 18.8%
  • Hawthorn 2008

• Collingwood 2010

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Sydney 2012

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Hawthorn 2013-2015

Votes: 89 18.6%
  • Bulldogs 2016

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • Richmond 2017-2019

Votes: 48 10.0%
  • West Coast 2018

Votes: 3 0.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No we don’t. Only West Coast supporters, Adelaide supporters and Chris Scott talk about that.
That’s right, fans of Victorian clubs like to close their eyes and ears and pretend everything’s equal because it would ruin the narrative to admit they hold a systematic advantage over interstate sides.

Essendon's '85 team were right up there, agreed. Talent on every line, depth, and a very physical, skillful side.

Excellent summary - like you say they had that combination - really physical and skillful - class players galore - i reckon they are just about the best ever

And if it had been back then full time and professional - they wouldnt have lost Neagle ( very good player ) to Sydney . Baker how talented was he - he was a builders labourer - today he would be on about 700-800k

The team they had in 85 when they went back to back - if they had the draft then - so everyone just gets a pick in turn - and free agency ( alot of players would have wanted to join them - looking for success ) they would have won 4-5 flags - they were so far superior to the rest of the comp .

Interesting some posters putting up Ess 2000 team as best ever ( they did have a terrific year ) however if you look at it - they had John Barnes ( ordinary ruckman ) as no 1 ruck - and in the GF - Jeff White annihilated him . You contrast that to the 85 team - youve got Simon Madden as your no 1 ruckman - one of the best ever

Just my opinion - but i think the Ess 85 team is superior to the Ess 2000 - like i say i think the Ess 85 is pretty close to the best ever

And the Brisbane Lions win again, IIRC I haven't seen a poll re this question or similar where the Lions of 2001-03 haven't won it.

Won 3 on the trot against the Pies and Bombers playing on their home ground.

Not really surprising they're ahead of the Geelong and Hawthorn three peat sides.

However to see the Richmond dual premiership side in 4th behind the Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn three peat sides is a little surprising.

However to see the Richmond dual premiership side in 4th behind the Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn three peat sides is a little surprising.
I am not surprised, but if you take out Richmond posters who voted for Richmond they wouldn't be on the board

One comparison between the 3 sides with 3 flags

All played 4 Grand Finals.
Hawthorn won 2 convincingly, 1 comfortably and a very narrow loss where they fought it out to the last minute of the game though they weren't at their best that day.
Geelong won 1 convincingly, 1 comfortably, 1 very narrowly but they rolled over in the loss - never in it after Stewie Dew in time on in the third quarter
Brisbane won 1 convincingly, 1 comfortably, 1 very narrowly but they rolled over in the loss - never in it after late in the third quarter

Richmond's september dominance the past 3 seasons while taking home only two medals shows how hard it is to win 3 in a row.

It's compulsory to say Hawks and Lions share the honours. Both sides not only won 3 in a row, but were one win away from 4.

One comparison between the 3 sides with 3 flags

All played 4 Grand Finals.
Hawthorn won 2 convincingly, 1 comfortably and a very narrow loss where they fought it out to the last minute of the game though they weren't at their best that day.
Geelong won 1 convincingly, 1 comfortably, 1 very narrowly but they rolled over in the loss - never in it after Stewie Dew in time on in the third quarter
Brisbane won 1 convincingly, 1 comfortably, 1 very narrowly but they rolled over in the loss - never in it after late in the third quarter

And 1 beat 1 in a Grand Final.

They also nearly lost to a well past it Geelong in the 13 prelim and if Travis Varcoe kicked straight they probably would have.

1. If Varcoe kicked straight the scores would have been even.

2. Given the Hawks were coming home like a steam train, any "probably" outcome goes to the Hawks.

3. If Hawthorn kicked straight, the game would not have been close.

Richmond's september dominance the past 3 seasons while taking home only two medals shows how hard it is to win 3 in a row.

It's compulsory to say Hawks and Lions share the honours. Both sides not only won 3 in a row, but were one win away from 4.
Same could be said about Geelong vis a vis 2008. Just couldn’t threepeat. I almost feel bad that Hawthorn denied them this accolade because it’s very sad indeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually feel guilt over 2008. Terrible to do that to Cats fans. It’s verging on shame.

But it was a bit good I spose

It is terrible to do that to the Cats "fans"...

But the Geelong players famously dedicated the 2008 flag victory to the Geelong players, to themselves. I think therefore any sympathy can't be with the fans... not if you ask the Cat's players.

Not enough credit being given to the 95 Carlton side. Fantastic team.

Brisbane win this easily.
Hawthorns 3 peat also an amazing achievement but in an era where challenging clubs couldn’t access elite young talent.

My tigers would need to win another one in 2020 to enter the discussion.

I know I go for them but the Port 2004 gets severely under rated due to only winning 1 flag.

The team consisted of 9 All Australians plus the likes of 150 plus gamers such as Wakelin, Wilson, Peter Burgoyne, Jarrod Schofield, Roger James, Josh Carr, Dean Brogan, Adam Kingley, Cassisi, Bishop and Dew. The only blokes in that team you wouldn't rate as good to great footballers were Toby Thurstans and Josh Mahoney.

I know I go for them but the Port 2004 gets severely under rated due to only winning 1 flag.

The team consisted of 9 All Australians plus the likes of 150 plus gamers such as Wakelin, Wilson, Peter Burgoyne, Jarrod Schofield, Roger James, Josh Carr, Dean Brogan, Adam Kingley, Cassisi, Bishop and Dew. The only blokes in that team you wouldn't rate as good to great footballers were Toby Thurstans and Josh Mahoney.
They were a cracking side, finishing on top a few times from memory.
They just couldn’t convert that into flags

This is not a thread about who was the strongest side over a period of time.
It's about a one year period.
Geelong were better than 2007 than 2008 only in the GF.
In 2009, and 2011, they met two sides who were pretty well invincible during the H and A.
As a mad tragic St.Kilda supporter, the 2009 Premiership of Geelong was the best side I have seen.
Apologies to Richmond (2019, Geelong 2007, and 2011, and The Brisbane and Hawthorn three peats).

2007 Geelong team is the greatest team ever imo. 9 All-Australian players wont ever be seen again.

Back